Jump to content
Greg Pappas

Three Things: An Off-season Wish List

Recommended Posts

We all want to see the O's get better... competing at a high level on an annual basis. Towards that end, this off-season could be an interesting one, as it'll be Mike Elias' first full one as GM.

If you were to choose three things that you'd like to see happen this off-season, which three things would it be?
Here are mine:

  1. Trade Mancini (Turns 28 a week before the start of the 2020 season)
  2. Trade Villar (Turns 29 on May 2nd)
  3. Release Chris Davis (Turns... my stomach. I keed, I keed :P )

Naturally, I don't wish to see us trade Mancini or Villar for the sake of trading them, but rather to acquire quality prospects.

Anyway, what are Your Three Things

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

We all want to see the O's get better... competing at a high level on an annual basis. Towards that end, this off-season could be an interesting one, as it'll be Mike Elias' first full one as GM.

If you were to choose three things that you'd like to see happen this off-season, which three things would it be?
Here are mine:

  1. Trade Mancini (Turns 28 a week before the start of the 2020 season)
  2. Trade Villar (Turns 29 on May 2nd)
  3. Release Chris Davis (Turns... my stomach. I keed, I keed :P )

Naturally, I don't wish to see us trade Mancini or Villar for the sake of trading them, but rather to acquire quality prospects.

Anyway, what are Your Three Things

I dont see 1 or 2 happening, just dont think the league values them very highly. IMO

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Continue to add interesting and forward thinking coaching/developmental hires

2. Givens trade (I think he'll have the most suitors between Villar/Mancini/Givens)

3. Chris Davis buyout

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get rid of Davis, really.  That's the only thing that, IMO, absolutely has to happen this offseason.  

I could take it or leave it on the trades of other players.  Like if they traded Mancini or Villar, I wouldn't be too upset depending on what we get back.  I don't even really care about what free agents we get this offseason, IMO 2020 is all about getting Diaz, Mountcastle, Hays to advance to Baltimore at some point and stick.  It's also all about seeing Hall, Gray-Rod and the other arms advance and continue to dominate.  And, of course, Rutschman.

 

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care whether  Davis  stays or not.  He is a bench player at this point  His costs the same whether he stays or goes.  Its not a major issue for me.

I don't have any high hopes for this off season.  I think Elias tenders his arbitration players.  I think he signs several AAAA starters.   But other than that I don't think he spends any money.

The hope is for the 2nd half of 2020 when the Bowie pitchers might arrives.  Not all at once but as each is ready.

The trade that might happen this off season is all around what some team offers for the O's players.    As long as Elias gets someone(s) in return that will help more in 2022 than what the O's have, I am for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Release Davis. I really don't want him to have any influence on the young hitters

2. Start next year with 3 outfielders that can catch & throw (Santander, Hays(?), ?????)

3. Find/sign a plus defensive SS who can hit say .220

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

If you were to choose three things that you'd like to see happen this off-season, which three things would it be?
Here are mine:

  1. Trade Mancini (Turns 28 a week before the start of the 2020 season)
  2. Trade Villar (Turns 29 on May 2nd)
  3. Release Chris Davis (Turns... my stomach. I keed, I keed :P )

 

After #1, let Nunez fill in for a few weeks, then see Ryan Mountcastle as the full-time first baseman by May 1.

After #3, once Mountcastle is promoted, let Nunez get his at bats at his best defensive position, designated hitter.  

Finally, I want to see a gradual introduction of our AAA pitchers, specifically Akin, Kremer, and Zimmerman (not the retreads from this year), to the ML rotation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obtain great value for Mancini, Villar and Givens.

Ownership continue to give Elias the resources he needs to build things right. 

Elias is able to hire minor league coaches and development folks and build the infrastructure he didn't have time to build last year. 

The new minor league coaches and developmental guys will be names that are not well known. It's going to be very interesting to me to learn who these new guys are, where they came from, and how they go about remaking the developmental system. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't care whether  Davis  stays or not.  He is a bench player at this point  He costs the same whether he stays or goes.  Its not a major issue for me.

Largely agree, but we're getting to a point where if he plays at all he's limiting opportunities of others that should be getting them.  Assuming Mancini stays he obviously will be starting somewhere every day.  Then you have Mountcastle after the first few weeks of the season, Stewart, Hays and Santander, all of whom should be getting regular ABs.  I'm pretty bearish on Santander but certainly he's earned a good look next year.  If Davis isn't going to play, and I think most agree that we're at a spot where he shouldn't, what's the point of keeping him on the team?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Largely agree, but we're getting to a point where if he plays at all he's limiting opportunities of others that should be getting them.  Assuming Mancini stays he obviously will be starting somewhere every day.  Then you have Mountcastle after the first few weeks of the season, Stewart, Hays and Santander, all of whom should be getting regular ABs.  I'm pretty bearish on Santander but certainly he's earned a good look next year.  If Davis isn't going to play, and I think most agree that we're at a spot where he shouldn't, what's the point of keeping him on the team?

I think when he team is ready to win again if Davis is not preforming in a helpful manner then he  needs to go.   I don't see the O's being at that point yet.   Maybe in another year.   

Players get hurt all the time.  As a bench player Davis can step in for them.   Also there are a lot of unproven players that the league may adjust to and they will may be sent down.  (see Mullins, not for Davis but because he is a example of an unproven player that needed to go down)    Davis may find playing time for those players also.  

The 26th man makes it easier to keep Davis on the 26 man roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Relief pitching.  Pitching in general, but especially out of the pen.  The 2012-2016 Orioles pen was filled with guys acquired through very minor deals that ended up making very major contributions.  You can get impact out of the pen without spending a ton.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reduce the price of season tickets.  Give the loyal fan base a break for continuing to go to Major League games to watch minor league quality.  

As for the on field product, we're clearly not of the mindset to sign stopgaps to even try to compete, so I guess my wish list is to bring up the talent who has earned it and stop giving at bats to the Davis' of the world.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...