Jump to content
section18

Is Hyde Managing for the #1 Pick or to be fired?

Recommended Posts

When I started this post I didn't know if twenty people would respond or a hundred. More have responded and with some good comments. I didn't say I think Hyde should be fired. I threw out the possibility with Elias terminating a lot of people in the organization. I don't think he will be replaced even though he does questionable things almost every game. The coaches are a different story.  I think several could be replaced and possibly our advance scouts and if Hyde is like most managers he won't replace them. It will have to be Elias who makes the needed changes. Will he ? It looks like Detroit will get the number 1 pick.  I think they are 3 1/2 behind us with 10 to go. 7 vs the White Sox and 3 vs the Twins. We have 3 with Seattle, 3 with Toronto and 3 with Boston. We could lose them all and so could Detroit.  This is going to be hard to predict.  Number 2 is still okay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

A diving catch would be something.

As long as it isn't DJ on horseback! Otherwise I'd worry that the ball would hit the horse square in the forehead, risking career-ending injury to the glove (not whip)-wielding jockey as its knees buckled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, section18 said:

When I started this post I didn't know if twenty people would respond or a hundred. More have responded and with some good comments. I didn't say I think Hyde should be fired. I threw out the possibility with Elias terminating a lot of people in the organization. I don't think he will be replaced even though he does questionable things almost every game. The coaches are a different story.  I think several could be replaced and possibly our advance scouts and if Hyde is like most managers he won't replace them. It will have to be Elias who makes the needed changes. Will he ? It looks like Detroit will get the number 1 pick.  I think they are 3 1/2 behind us with 10 to go. 7 vs the White Sox and 3 vs the Twins. We have 3 with Seattle, 3 with Toronto and 3 with Boston. We could lose them all and so could Detroit.  This is going to be hard to predict.  Number 2 is still okay.

Villar’s hot streak in August probably cost us the #1 pick, and that Detroit did have a fire sale. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Villar’s hot streak in August probably cost us the #1 pick, and that Detroit did have a fire sale. 

#2 is fine with me. I think Bregman was a #2 overall pick.

Edit: He was. Also, Dillon Tate was #4 overall that year. I didn't realize he went that high. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canonfaz said:

#2 is fine with me. I think Bregman was a #2 overall pick.

Edit: He was. Also, Dillon Tate was #4 overall that year. I didn't realize he went that high. 

I don't want to go overboard on Tate, but he's been a disappointment for me. I really thought he would lock down a bp slot... there's still time though for a young arm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, section18 said:

When I started this post I didn't know if twenty people would respond or a hundred. More have responded and with some good comments. I didn't say I think Hyde should be fired. I threw out the possibility with Elias terminating a lot of people in the organization. I don't think he will be replaced even though he does questionable things almost every game. The coaches are a different story.  I think several could be replaced and possibly our advance scouts and if Hyde is like most managers he won't replace them. It will have to be Elias who makes the needed changes. Will he ? It looks like Detroit will get the number 1 pick.  I think they are 3 1/2 behind us with 10 to go. 7 vs the White Sox and 3 vs the Twins. We have 3 with Seattle, 3 with Toronto and 3 with Boston. We could lose them all and so could Detroit.  This is going to be hard to predict.  Number 2 is still okay.

Hyde was an Elias hire, so I doubt he would fire him.

The Orioles dont really have a history of firing managers,  but let them ride out their contract and then give them the kiss off.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I like Hyde.  He seems tough, straight forward, and willing to challenge his players to perform.  Looking back to how things started in Spring Training, I"m excited to see how he pumps everyone up for 2020.  He seems like a good culture guy, the players seem to like him (maybe not Davis). 

I think he did a good job of beginning with the end product in mind, and preached patience.  He won more games this season than Buck did last year, and with a group of much less experienced players.  Overall he probably doesn't measure his success in wins, but with progress.  I hope he sticks around long enough to coach our next playoff team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't want to go overboard on Tate, but he's been a disappointment for me. I really thought he would lock down a bp slot... there's still time though for a young arm.

He is not that young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

He is not that young.

25 year old, plant of pitchers have been late bloomers. Orel Hershiser's first full season wasn't until age 25. Tate might never make it, but he isn't too old to write off yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

25 year old, plant of pitchers have been late bloomers. Orel Hershiser's first full season wasn't until age 25. Tate might never make it, but he isn't too old to write off yet. 

My cold medicine must be kicking in plant should be plenty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My cold medicine must be kicking in plant should be plenty

I’m honestly wondering what he has shown? He’s a single digit draft pick who has already been given up on by two teams, each of which Is far more developed and analytics then we were at the time we made the trade, and may be now as well.

In 17 innings, He’s given up 17 hits, eight walks, 4HBP and three homeruns. He’s had 17 Ks as well, but they hardly negate those other numbers. He still has all three options so I’m certainly not suggesting cutting ties, but he hasn’t shown anything on which to bet the farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

I’m honestly wondering what he has shown? He’s a single digit draft pick who has already been given up on by two teams, each of which Is far more developed and analytics then we were at the time we made the trade, and may be now as well.

In 17 innings, He’s given up 17 hits, eight walks, 4HBP and three homeruns. He’s had 17 Ks as well, but they hardly negate those other numbers. He still has all three options so I’m certainly not suggesting cutting ties, but he hasn’t shown anything on which to bet the farm.

I don't think Tate ends up having a long major league career, but it would be silly to write him off because of age. First round picks bust or never play an MLB game period, it happens all the time. Tate probably falls into this category.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I don't think Tate ends up having a long major league career, but it would be silly to write him off because of age. First round picks bust or never play an MLB game period, it happens all the time. Tate probably falls into this category.

Yes I agree completely about the age thing, and because he has three options, we can afford to keep giving him chancesYes I agree completely about the age thing, and because he has three options, we can afford to keep giving him chances

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philip said:

Yes I agree completely about the age thing, and because he has three options, we can afford to keep giving him chancesYes I agree completely about the age thing, and because he has three options, we can afford to keep giving him chances

Two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...