section18

Is Hyde Managing for the #1 Pick or to be fired?

28 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm just not seeing any analytics bump

Our previously effective pitchers, Givens, Castro, Bleir have all regressed badly under the new management

The shifts don't seem to work. Playing our OF deeper than any in baseball doesn't seem to work

No doubt our talent level is very low, but they don't seem to be getting coached or analyticed  up.

Brocail has to go

I think you've nailed it.  Brocail yep.  Just teasing.  Seems like the analytics would have our outfielders play even deeper.....wouldn't you agree? ;)  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, section18 said:

Who is calling the pitches? From the dugout or our catcher? Dempsey ripped the pitch selections big time in last nights postgame show saying we've had all season and still make poor pitch selections game after game and the announcers on radio and TV seem to question them. I know location is the biggest problem but hanging curveballs and fastballs down the middle challenging major league hitters is just plain dumb. Severino never went to the mound that I recall last night to talk to our pitchers in the late innings. Boom, boom, boom walks, boom, boom. I could go on and he just sits or kneels behind the plate. He appears lazy  at times and is only here for the short term. I am not a fan of Givens or Castro or Phillips and Armstrong lately. Armstrong was the guy who let Toronto back in the game last night giving up a 3 run homer before the Castro meltdown. 9 walks last night! Really? How many of them scored? How many games have been over by the second inning this year as our manager with no regard for the fans leaves our starter in who clearly doesn't have it to get torched? Tampa with their bullpen by committee starter would never leave a pitcher in to give up 5-7 runs in an inning.  Someone said last night the pitching mound in our bullpen is different than the mound on the field and that Palmer has said sometimes it takes a starter an inning or two to get use to the difference. With all of the resources and money available why don't the mounds match? The next time I see someone in the warehouse I know I am going to ask him about this. Why can't we match them? Spend the money and fix this problem. Our ground crew should be able to fix this. It seems like Hyde manages like he is still in Spring Training.  The pitching coach should be history at the end of the season. He and Hyde seem to get along well so if he's replaced it will have to come from upstairs. I agree with Bleier recently upset with our defensive alignments. The shift is overdone. A number of times this season the announcers on radio or TV have been heard saying our SS or 2B would have gotten to the ball if not for the over shift. Who makes that call? Why does every team have a guy like Grichuk or Torres who destroy us? Do we have advance scouts? I've said over and over whoever is scouting is not getting it done.  Why don't we just walk these guys. Didn't a certain manager walk Bonds one time deliberately with the bases loaded? When I say an Elias kind of guy I mean clean cut and articulate or well spoken. He appears lost often times in his interviews. I liked him in the beginning but as the season has worn on he appears overmatched by the other managers. He's likeable but not the guy for the long term.

You lost me at Dempsey. There is a reason why he never managed this ballclub. 

I mostly blame the pitchers for failing to execute.    Castro’s command varies from game to game, sometimes batter to batter. He walked two guys, that’s on him, not the catcher.    Most of those pitches weren’t close.    The pitch that was hit for a homer tailed right into the batter’s wheelhouse.    The catcher didn’t call for that.    

55 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm just not seeing any analytics bump

Our previously effective pitchers, Givens, Castro, Bleir have all regressed badly under the new management

The shifts don't seem to work. Playing our OF deeper than any in baseball doesn't seem to work

No doubt our talent level is very low, but they don't seem to be getting coached or analyticed  up.

Brocail has to go

Maybe we were seeing it with Cashner? Funny how the wheels fell off as soon as he left.

Maybe we're seeing it with Means? Mancini? And Salisbury? Bowie?

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mostly blame the pitchers for failing to execute.    Castro’s command varies from game to game, sometimes batter to batter. He walked two guys, that’s on him, not the catcher.    Most of those pitches weren’t close.    The pitch that was hit for a homer tailed right into the batter’s wheelhouse.    The catcher didn’t call for that.    

Isn't all the analytics, and the data, and the fancy video equipment supposed to help pitchers with command

or maybe they don't use the video analysis at the ML level

Somehow Castro & Givens completely broke down this year, and the whole staff is of course giving up HRs at a historical pace.

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

There is plenty of lack of execution to go around.  I don't know about Castro.  His release point is all over the place.  His mechanics will have to be more repeatable for him to have sustained, consistent success.  I don't know if changes there would rob him of his velocity and explosive movement, but the current version isn't going to work.

I see some similar problems the last couple of nights to the sloppy play in Buck's last year that set me off.  Baserunning errors where we get late break to a bag because we aren't fundamentally sound on rounding bases aggressively and watching throws relative to the cut off.  Guys missing signs (perhaps intentionally) and missing an opportunity to get down a sac bunt, then getting the sign (overtly) and giving a half-assed bunt effort to go down 2 strikes.   Failure to take an approach to move runners over in close games.  Of course, failing to cover home and letting 2 runs score on a past ball.  

I can deal with having a rebuilding team that is a little bit down in the talent department, but there is no excuse for those guys to not be executing fundamental baseball.  I'll watch developing players or even overmatched players play, but I'm not going to watch bad baseball.

1 hour ago, foxfield said:

I think you've nailed it.  Brocail yep.  Just teasing.  Seems like the analytics would have our outfielders play even deeper.....wouldn't you agree? ;)  

Maybe the outfielders could actually set up on the other side of the outfield fences. Put one in the LF stands, another at the batting eye, another on the flag court. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Isn't all the analytics, and the data, and the fancy video equipment supposed to help pitchers with command

or maybe they don't use the video analysis at the ML level

Somehow Castro & Givens completely broke down this year, and the whole staff is of course giving up HRs at a historical pace.

Nothing can really improve command other than the pitchers staying in their windup and focus. No analytic is going to help that. The analytics help them understand what pitches are more effective in certain counts and locations.

As for Castro, since the All-star break and prior to last night's disaster, he had pitched to a 2.30 ERA and held batters to a .160/.279/.277/.556 slash line over his last 27.1 IP, one of his best runs as a major leaguer.

This team has allowed a historic number of home runs because of a lack of major league talent, a homer friendly ball park, and juiced baseballs.

52 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

You lost me at Dempsey. There is a reason why he never managed this ballclub. 

He did very well with the AAA Dukes of the Dodgers.

You can joke about Dempsey, he is an easy target, but the dude knows how to play the game.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CosVT said:

There is plenty of lack of execution to go around.  I don't know about Castro.  His release point is all over the place.  His mechanics will have to be more repeatable for him to have sustained, consistent success.  I don't know if changes there would rob him of his velocity and explosive movement, but the current version isn't going to work.

I see some similar problems the last couple of nights to the sloppy play in Buck's last year that set me off.  Baserunning errors where we get late break to a bag because we aren't fundamentally sound on rounding bases aggressively and watching throws relative to the cut off.  Guys missing signs (perhaps intentionally) and missing an opportunity to get down a sac bunt, then getting the sign (overtly) and giving a half-assed bunt effort to go down 2 strikes.   Failure to take an approach to move runners over in close games.  Of course, failing to cover home and letting 2 runs score on a past ball.  

I can deal with having a rebuilding team that is a little bit down in the talent department, but there is no excuse for those guys to not be executing fundamental baseball.  I'll watch developing players or even overmatched players play, but I'm not going to watch bad baseball.

Which goes to show you that whether players are professionals or not, the human factor of playing out the string in an awful 100+ loss season is not an easy task to keep focus on. 

It's easy to blame the coaching staff (not saying you are or aren't) but look at this team. This is not a major league pitching staff. Outside of Bundy and Means, which other pitchers on the current active roster would a contending team want on it's pitching staff right now (and I might be stretching it for Bundy)? Harvey has been shut down so he's out, so who? Givens? Castro before last night had been pitching very well, but I wouldn't want him in high leverage situations.

The rest of the team are DFA guys, never weres, and low-end prospects out of our system who all have the same command problems. 

I really don't know what people expect. Sure it's frustrating to watch the kinds of losses that happened last night, but I think we have to remember that we knew this team was going to be bad this year and it never gets better at the end of the year in these situations.

• Like 1

I think that Hyde will stay a few more seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if he is replaced when they are competitive again. I expect to see one or more changes on the coaching staff only because these guys were brought in late. I am assuming that some of the guys they wanted were not available then. I think part of the reason Hyde was hired (probably a small reason) was to learn what the Cubs organization was doing in player development. I think Elias even mentioned something to that affect at the press conference. Anyway, I agree that you can't really evaluate Hyde with this roster. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Nothing can really improve command other than the pitchers staying in their windup and focus. No analytic is going to help that. The analytics help them understand what pitches are more effective in certain counts and locations.

As for Castro, since the All-star break and prior to last night's disaster, he had pitched to a 2.30 ERA and held batters to a .160/.279/.277/.556 slash line over his last 27.1 IP, one of his best runs as a major leaguer.

This team has allowed a historic number of home runs because of a lack of major league talent, a homer friendly ball park, and juiced baseballs.

Last year’s staff, in the same ballpark and with many of the same pitchers allowed 26% more homers than the league average.  This year’s staff is 36% above league average.    Comparing the O’s to the rest of the league eliminates the juiced balls as a factor.    So, the fact that we’re 10% worse compared to the league comes down to one of threec things (or a combination): worse talent (but as noted, many of the pitchers are the same), worse coaching or random luck.    I certainly can’t rule out the coaching as a contributing factor.    I think there’s a decent chance that Brocail and/or Wasdin (who isn’t an Elias guy even though he was moved from MiL pitching coordinator to bullpen coach) will get the axe.    

52 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

Maybe we were seeing it with Cashner? Funny how the wheels fell off as soon as he left.

Maybe we're seeing it with Means? Mancini? And Salisbury? Bowie?

Cashner is pitching well 4 earned runs over 18 innings since he became a reliever.  I think Means worked in the off season on his pitches,