Jump to content
section18

Is Hyde Managing for the #1 Pick or to be fired?

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...all those acquisitions were made after the rebuild was complete. We're not there yet. 

Yeah, totally agree.  Just stating he seems to be great at acquiring top players and getting the old team to kick in a lot of money.  I am not suggesting we trade our prospects for anyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven’t read all of the comments yet, but it seems pretty obvious that 1) the outfielders are playing to deep 2) I agree that the defensive alignments aren’t always as they should be 3)bullpen management isn’t very good 4) Although Hyde had a nice quick hook at the beginning, over the course of the season he started leaving in the starters too long, and he didn’t anticipate when a guy was done. Sometimes it happened so fast nobody could react to it but most of the time there was warning.

Maybe not his fault:

We kept calling up the same bad pitchers. We gave lots of guys a try and then dumped them, and I applaud both actions, but we also gave too many innings to guys like Philips and Hess, when they could’ve been more productively given to others.

Playing Chris Davis. I give Hyde a pass on both, because it’s not his choice.

The biggest thing was walking away from Chris Davis. It really looked like he fled instead of standing up to Chris. No, I don’t know what really happened, I only know how it looked, and how it looked is that he got away fast instead of standing his ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philip said:

The biggest thing was walking away from Chris Davis. It really looked like he fled instead of standing up to Chris. No, I don’t know what really happened, I only know how it looked, and how it looked is that he got away fast instead of standing his ground.

I have no idea exactly what happened either but would you have preferred Hyde staying and getting into a physical altercation?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, John Welch said:

I have no idea exactly what happened either but would you have preferred Hyde staying and getting into a physical altercation?

No, as I said, I think he should’ve stood his ground. You only get into a physical altercation if the other person does something. 

It looked as if he was afraid and ran away. He should’ve stood his ground. Davis wasn’t going to take a swing, he had two guys standing right next to him and the space was too cramped for him to take a swing anyway.

As I said in my post, I don’t know exactly what happened anymore than anyone else does, but it looks as if he was afraid and ran away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Philip said:

No, as I said, I think he should’ve stood his ground. You only get into a physical altercation if the other person does something. 

It looked as if he was afraid and ran away. He should’ve stood his ground. Davis wasn’t going to take a swing, he had two guys standing right next to him and the space was too cramped for him to take a swing anyway.

As I said in my post, I don’t know exactly what happened anymore than anyone else does, but it looks as if he was afraid and ran away.

I understand your view but I think if Hyde remained in the dugout, things could have become much worse. 

I think things like that happen in any major league clubhouse from time to time. The problem with this one is it was in the dugout and caught on camera. Remaining in the dugout wouldn't have helped in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, John Welch said:

I understand your view but I think if Hyde remained in the dugout, things could have become much worse. 

I think things like that happen in any major league clubhouse from time to time. The problem with this one is it was in the dugout and caught on camera. Remaining in the dugout wouldn't have helped in my opinion.

I understand that, and it certainly can go both ways. When something like that happens there is a flight or flight reaction that over powers commonsense. In the other thread I mentioned how Billy Martin would have stood his ground against the Africa Korps despite being 5 foot eight and 140 pounds. Yes, he was a hothead, but I have absolutely no doubt that he was respected for that, and none of his players jumped at him in the dugout without being aware of what would happen immediately afterwords.

It looks as if Hyde obeyed the flight reflex and ran away. It would’ve been better for him to remain because nothing would’ve happened and it would’ve been better to present himself as a strong manager who wasn’t intimidated by one of his players, no matter how big or strong, and as I said, it is highly unlikely that anything would’ve happened. What we saw looked like a moment of weakness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Philip said:

I understand that, and it certainly can go both ways. When something like that happens there is a flight or flight reaction that over powers commonsense. In the other thread I mentioned how Billy Martin would have stood his ground against the Africa Korps despite being 5 foot eight and 140 pounds. Yes, he was a hothead, but I have absolutely no doubt that he was respected for that, and none of his players jumped at him in the dugout without being aware of what would happen immediately afterwords.

It looks as if Hyde obeyed the flight reflex and ran away. It would’ve been better for him to remain because nothing would’ve happened and it would’ve been better to present himself as a strong manager who wasn’t intimidated by one of his players, no matter how big or strong, and as I said, it is highly unlikely that anything would’ve happened. What we saw looked like a moment of weakness.

Martin was a maniac. 

I'll take Hyde's actions over stuff like this every day.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, section18 said:

I've tried to give Hyde the benefit of the doubt all season and in my opinion he has cost us at least 10 or more games so far with poor decisions. 

I dunno how you can quantify this.  Is there a parallel universe where you get to see other results with different decisions he made?  And is that Orioles team approaching 60 wins?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope this forum never changes.  The players are dogcrap and people are complaining Hyde has cost us enough wins to take us from last place to last place.  The outfield positioning is bad?  Buddies, Trey Mancini has played 89 games in the outfield, and he couldn't scrape 0 dWAR if you let him play defense on horseback.  Chris Davis sucks so hard he distorts the light around himself like a black hole.  Oh I'm sure if Hyde only told him to choke up on the bat we would be a playoff team.  Tell me what coaching you'd have given Dylan Bundy to properly back up the plate so as not to allow 2 runs to score on a passed ball.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barnaby Graves said:

 Tell me what coaching you'd have given Dylan Bundy to properly back up the plate so as not to allow 2 runs to score on a passed ball.

He shouldn't allow sauntering..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Barnaby Graves said:

I hope this forum never changes.  The players are dogcrap and people are complaining Hyde has cost us enough wins to take us from last place to last place.  The outfield positioning is bad?  Buddies, Trey Mancini has played 89 games in the outfield, and he couldn't scrape 0 dWAR if you let him play defense on horseback.  Chris Davis sucks so hard he distorts the light around himself like a black hole.  Oh I'm sure if Hyde only told him to choke up on the bat we would be a playoff team.  Tell me what coaching you'd have given Dylan Bundy to properly back up the plate so as not to allow 2 runs to score on a passed ball.

Very well put. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Martin was a maniac. 

I'll take Hyde's actions over stuff like this every day.

 

I think Billy hit his wives. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

 

Playing Chris Davis. I give Hyde a pass on both, because it’s not his choice.

 

And we know this how?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, section18 said:

Who is calling the pitches? From the dugout or our catcher? Dempsey ripped the pitch selections big time in last nights postgame show saying we've had all season and still make poor pitch selections game after game and the announcers on radio and TV seem to question them. I know location is the biggest problem but hanging curveballs and fastballs down the middle challenging major league hitters is just plain dumb. Severino never went to the mound that I recall last night to talk to our pitchers in the late innings. Boom, boom, boom walks, boom, boom. I could go on and he just sits or kneels behind the plate. He appears lazy  at times and is only here for the short term. I am not a fan of Givens or Castro or Phillips and Armstrong lately. Armstrong was the guy who let Toronto back in the game last night giving up a 3 run homer before the Castro meltdown. 9 walks last night! Really? How many of them scored? How many games have been over by the second inning this year as our manager with no regard for the fans leaves our starter in who clearly doesn't have it to get torched? Tampa with their bullpen by committee starter would never leave a pitcher in to give up 5-7 runs in an inning.  Someone said last night the pitching mound in our bullpen is different than the mound on the field and that Palmer has said sometimes it takes a starter an inning or two to get use to the difference. With all of the resources and money available why don't the mounds match? The next time I see someone in the warehouse I know I am going to ask him about this. Why can't we match them? Spend the money and fix this problem. Our ground crew should be able to fix this. It seems like Hyde manages like he is still in Spring Training.  The pitching coach should be history at the end of the season. He and Hyde seem to get along well so if he's replaced it will have to come from upstairs. I agree with Bleier recently upset with our defensive alignments. The shift is overdone. A number of times this season the announcers on radio or TV have been heard saying our SS or 2B would have gotten to the ball if not for the over shift. Who makes that call? Why does every team have a guy like Grichuk or Torres who destroy us? Do we have advance scouts? I've said over and over whoever is scouting is not getting it done.  Why don't we just walk these guys. Didn't a certain manager walk Bonds one time deliberately with the bases loaded? When I say an Elias kind of guy I mean clean cut and articulate or well spoken. He appears lost often times in his interviews. I liked him in the beginning but as the season has worn on he appears overmatched by the other managers. He's likeable but not the guy for the long term.

I'm going to have to request some paragraph breaks here.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, atomic said:

Why would I be happy with 14 straight losing seasons?  I hope the team improves.  I just want to see the team be better next season.  Not a playoff team just not another 100 loss season. 

You are advocating an approach -- spending resources to improve a team on the field in a season where it has no chance to contend -- that is EXACTLY what led to 14 straight losing seasons.

I lived through that, which is the primary reason I am very willing to try something else.   Building the organization from the bottom up, improving the infrastructure, while sacrificing for a few years at the major league level.

And hey, we have already improved over last year's record so you better at least give Elias credit for that.

Oh, by the way, I'm one of the people who is on board with the plan.   And I attended 10 games this year, made a trip to spring training, and have probably watched over 100 games on TV this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...