Jump to content
Sanfran327

Will this weekend be the last time we see Chris Davis in Baltimore?

Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?  

85 members have voted

  1. 1. Is this Chris Davis' Final Weekend as an Oriole?

    • Yes
      23
    • No
      62


Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am pretty sure Chris Davis was on steroids or HGH or something similar and stopped taking it once he got his huge contract. Didn't want to take the risk of getting caught and suspended.

  I think he had a good plan to get super rich and I don't see why he would quit now that he has achieved his goal. 

 

Also Davis looks like a stick figure now. Whatever Davis was doing to bulk up has obviously stopped. Even the home run he hit yesterday barely made it out. Three or four years ago, Davis crushes that ball 440 feet. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had hoped that Davis would be released this offseason.  However, given Elias' comments, it's clear that Davis will at least be allowed to show up at ST.  At least Elias has given himself some wiggle room to release Davis prior to opening day, if Davis doesn't show any improvement in ST (not necessarily in terms of results, but in terms of observables such as bat speed, frequency and quality of contact, and so on).   

The 26th roster space makes it easier to keep Davis around, but any time he plays next season he'll be taking playing time away from someone more deserving or at least more important to the O's long term success (e.g. Mountcastle, Nunez, or DJ Stewart). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fans need to make it clear that they're not going to watch games with Davis is in the starting lineup.  Perhaps we can find a way to be vocal about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also Davis looks like a stick figure now. Whatever Davis was doing to bulk up has obviously stopped. Even the home run he hit yesterday barely made it out. Three or four years ago, Davis crushes that ball 440 feet. 

Davis will be around next year I’m afraid. I wish this was the last year of him and that horrible contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Fans need to make it clear that they're not going to watch games with Davis is in the starting lineup.  Perhaps we can find a way to be vocal about it. 

Has there ever been a successful fan protest?  At the very depths of the Orioles' 14-year losing run Nestor got 11 people to walk out of that game that one time.  That changed the Orioles' course like a mosquito impacting an 18-wheeler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Also Davis looks like a stick figure now. Whatever Davis was doing to bulk up has obviously stopped. Even the home run he hit yesterday barely made it out. Three or four years ago, Davis crushes that ball 440 feet. 

This is what makes me mad about Davis. I was defending Davis in the past against PED accustations.  But I have lifted 4 times in a week consistently in the past and when you go cold turkey your muscle doesn't just go away.  Flab comes pretty quickly.  But your muscles will stick around if you are doing any sort of activity at all.  You dont' go from what Davis looked like a couple of years ago to what he looks like now.  Even his neck looks small now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atomic said:

That actually looks better than it is. If you listed since July of 2017 it would look much worse.  

Yeah, I thought about starting with 2017 since 2016 was the last year he had an above OPS+.     Looking at his 2017 splits, the numbers went south in June and cratered in September.    For S&G's from September 2017 on
256 G, 853 AB .170/.254/.306/.560  31HR, 92 RBI

That's not what anyone could call a small sample size.  

There are dozens of ways to juggle around the same numbers, only to end up with the same pathetic analysis.  Captain Obvious says if he was on a team like NY or Boston, who use rolls of $20 bills in the employee bathroom stalls, he would be written off the books and out of baseball.   He's a genuinely likable guy, but the past few seasons have been a torture to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, I thought about starting with 2017 since 2016 was the last year he had an above OPS+.     Looking at his 2017 splits, the numbers went south in June and cratered in September.    For S&G's from September 2017 on
256 G, 853 AB .170/.254/.306/.560  31HR, 92 RBI

That's not what anyone could call a small sample size.  

There are dozens of ways to juggle around the same numbers, only to end up with the same pathetic analysis.  Captain Obvious says if he was on a team like NY or Boston, who use rolls of $20 bills in the employee bathroom stalls, he would be written off the books and out of baseball.   He's a genuinely likable guy, but the past few seasons have been a torture to watch.

I wonder if in 15 years will Davis be held in high regard by Oriole fans like I expect Markakis and Jonesy will be or will he be thought of as someone like Glenn Davis.  

If he keeps playing he will continue to move down the all time Orioles list.  He is already behind Rich Dauer in career WAR. Soon he will be behind Grant Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, atomic said:

This is what makes me mad about Davis. I was defending Davis in the past against PED accustations.  But I have lifted 4 times in a week consistently in the past and when you go cold turkey your muscle doesn't just go away.  Flab comes pretty quickly.  But your muscles will stick around if you are doing any sort of activity at all.  You dont' go from what Davis looked like a couple of years ago to what he looks like now.  Even his neck looks small now. 

Between Davis not working on his game in the offseason and his rapid weight loss, I can't defend the guy. I thought at least he might have avoided HGH or whatever, but as you pointed out it's looking less likely now. 

I will give Davis credit for his charity work and he seems like a decent person. Davis has a responsibility on his end and for him to lose all his muscle it might be possible to consider that a breach of contract. The Orioles didn't pay him $150M to hit like Billy Ripken. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Has there ever been a successful fan protest?  At the very depths of the Orioles' 14-year losing run Nestor got 11 people to walk out of that game that one time.  That changed the Orioles' course like a mosquito impacting an 18-wheeler.

There was one by the Milwaukee Bucks fans a few years ago.  They formed a website, were very vocal, and take credit for a lot of management changes.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Yeah, I thought about starting with 2017 since 2016 was the last year he had an above OPS+.     Looking at his 2017 splits, the numbers went south in June and cratered in September.    For S&G's from September 2017 on
256 G, 853 AB .170/.254/.306/.560  31HR, 92 RBI

That's not what anyone could call a small sample size.  

There are dozens of ways to juggle around the same numbers, only to end up with the same pathetic analysis.  Captain Obvious says if he was on a team like NY or Boston, who use rolls of $20 bills in the employee bathroom stalls, he would be written off the books and out of baseball.   He's a genuinely likable guy, but the past few seasons have been a torture to watch.

Its also been brutal to engaged in discussion about this, rehashing the same ole same ole.

I am just ready for the Davis stay with this team to be over, I am happy he has good memories here, and was a crusher here at one time. Its time for this ride to be over.

I know, he will get a ST invite and would not surprise me to see him on the 2020 Opening Day Roster. I also would not be surprised to see 10 more 100 page threads on this subject between now and then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ruzious said:

There was one by the Milwaukee Bucks fans a few years ago.  They formed a website, were very vocal, and take credit for a lot of management changes.    

They took credit, but did they really do anything to take credit fo?

You can ask the Awlfin fans down in Florida how its working for them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

They took credit, but did they really do anything to take credit fo?

You can ask the Awlfin fans down in Florida how its working for them?

Go to the source - one of the leaders of that group is a Moderator on the Milwaukee Bucks forum of RealGM.com.  His poster name is PaulPressey.  If you post there and ask for a recap, he'll probably be glad to give you the facts.  You can mention I sent you there.  

Btw, I don't know who Awlfin is.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Go to the source - one of the leaders of that group is a Moderator on the Milwaukee Bucks forum of RealGM.com.  His poster name is PaulPressey.  If you post there and ask for a recap, he'll probably be glad to give you the facts.  You can mention I sent you there.  

Btw, I don't know who Awlfin is.  

 

Or go to his Twitter account - paulpressey25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Go to the source - one of the leaders of that group is a Moderator on the Milwaukee Bucks forum of RealGM.com.  His poster name is PaulPressey.  If you post there and ask for a recap, he'll probably be glad to give you the facts.  You can mention I sent you there.  

Btw, I don't know who Awlfin is.  

 

Awlfin was a new term coined last week, to rename the Miami Dolphins to the Miami Awlfins, as they been playing really bad football, and the fans are all up in arms.

I know here Steve the fan, used to take credit for getting things done here, and thought it was probably more braggart than actually getting it done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 148 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...