Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Next Gen stats: Ravens have one of the best pass rushing defenses so far

Recommended Posts

The Ravens also played arguably the two worst offensive lines in the first two weeks, and the Chiefs didn't have their starting LT. Thankfully the Browns line is pretty bad too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brian88 said:

The Ravens also played arguably the two worst offensive lines in the first two weeks, and the Chiefs didn't have their starting LT. Thankfully the Browns line is pretty bad too.

However the Ravens pass rush doesn't pass the eye test. Even if they rush fast they aren't getting home. After getting Mahomes early he had plants of time in Q2-Q4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

However the Ravens pass rush doesn't pass the eye test. Even if they rush fast they aren't getting home. After getting Mahomes early he had plants of time in Q2-Q4.

Yes, and the Ravens also blitz more than any team in the league. Judson really seems to be the only guy who can make anything happen on his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

However the Ravens pass rush doesn't pass the eye test. Even if they rush fast they aren't getting home. After getting Mahomes early he had plants of time in Q2-Q4.

But isn't this what analytic statistics are for? We've used the eye test for years, but with these new stats available to us through technology, we now have real data to back up or adjust what eyes have told us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But isn't this what analytic statistics are for? We've used the eye test for years, but with these new stats available to us through technology, we now have real data to back up or adjust what eyes have told us.

You might be right.... but the pass rush is not getting enough pressure. Otherwise you don’t get off those long passes down the field. 

Its one thing to give up a long gainer on a screen... but not a pass that takes the WR 3-5 seconds to get down the field.

just my 2 cents 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You might be right.... but the pass rush is not getting enough pressure. Otherwise you don’t get off those long passes down the field. 

Its one thing to give up a long gainer on a screen... but not a pass that takes the WR 3-5 seconds to get down the field.

just my 2 cents 

But the numbers are on average. Every pass rush is going to get picked up well on occasion. In fact, more times than not. 

I was actually surprised by the numbers since I didn't think the Ravens were getting consistent pressure either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But the numbers are on average. Every pass rush is going to get picked up well on occasion. In fact, more times than not. 

I was actually surprised by the numbers since I didn't think the Ravens were getting consistent pressure either. 

This is why any stats never tell the whole story. Almost sacking the QB doesn't mean much. If he's still standing, he can still throw. The object is to knock him down before he throws.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

This is why any stats never tell the whole story. Almost sacking the QB doesn't mean much. If he's still standing, he can still throw. The object is to knock him down before he throws.

I have to disagree. Pressure can cause a lot of mistakes without actually sacking the QB. All this stat is saying is that on average the Ravens have a defender closer to the QB at the point of his release than any other team so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to disagree. Pressure can cause a lot of mistakes without actually sacking the QB. All this stat is saying is that on average the Ravens have a defender closer to the QB at the point of his release than any other team so far. 

Maybe they should try to keep a defender close to the wide open receivers, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/26/2019 at 1:19 PM, Tony-OH said:

But the numbers are on average. Every pass rush is going to get picked up well on occasion. In fact, more times than not. 

I was actually surprised by the numbers since I didn't think the Ravens were getting consistent pressure either. 

I think they need to check their formula.  I see the Ravens sending 6 guys and getting no pressure.  People need to stop blindly trusting analytics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If the Ravens aren't passing the eye test in many cases, perhaps the league in general sucks this year. Just a thought.

The Ravens are 26th in the league in sacks even though they blitz all the time.  The eye test is right this next generation stat is wrong.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...