Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Next Gen stats: Ravens have one of the best pass rushing defenses so far

The Ravens also played arguably the two worst offensive lines in the first two weeks, and the Chiefs didn't have their starting LT. Thankfully the Browns line is pretty bad too.

9 hours ago, Brian88 said:

The Ravens also played arguably the two worst offensive lines in the first two weeks, and the Chiefs didn't have their starting LT. Thankfully the Browns line is pretty bad too.

However the Ravens pass rush doesn't pass the eye test. Even if they rush fast they aren't getting home. After getting Mahomes early he had plants of time in Q2-Q4.

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

However the Ravens pass rush doesn't pass the eye test. Even if they rush fast they aren't getting home. After getting Mahomes early he had plants of time in Q2-Q4.

Yes, and the Ravens also blitz more than any team in the league. Judson really seems to be the only guy who can make anything happen on his own.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

But isn't this what analytic statistics are for? We've used the eye test for years, but with these new stats available to us through technology, we now have real data to back up or adjust what eyes have told us.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

But isn't this what analytic statistics are for? We've used the eye test for years, but with these new stats available to us through technology, we now have real data to back up or adjust what eyes have told us.

You might be right.... but the pass rush is not getting enough pressure. Otherwise you don’t get off those long passes down the field. 

Its one thing to give up a long gainer on a screen... but not a pass that takes the WR 3-5 seconds to get down the field.

just my 2 cents 

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You might be right.... but the pass rush is not getting enough pressure. Otherwise you don’t get off those long passes down the field. 

Its one thing to give up a long gainer on a screen... but not a pass that takes the WR 3-5 seconds to get down the field.

just my 2 cents 

But the numbers are on average. Every pass rush is going to get picked up well on occasion. In fact, more times than not. 

I was actually surprised by the numbers since I didn't think the Ravens were getting consistent pressure either. 

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

But the numbers are on average. Every pass rush is going to get picked up well on occasion. In fact, more times than not. 

I was actually surprised by the numbers since I didn't think the Ravens were getting consistent pressure either. 

This is why any stats never tell the whole story. Almost sacking the QB doesn't mean much. If he's still standing, he can still throw. The object is to knock him down before he throws.

2 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

This is why any stats never tell the whole story. Almost sacking the QB doesn't mean much. If he's still standing, he can still throw. The object is to knock him down before he throws.

I have to disagree. Pressure can cause a lot of mistakes without actually sacking the QB. All this stat is saying is that on average the Ravens have a defender closer to the QB at the point of his release than any other team so far. 

23 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I have to disagree. Pressure can cause a lot of mistakes without actually sacking the QB. All this stat is saying is that on average the Ravens have a defender closer to the QB at the point of his release than any other team so far. 

Maybe they should try to keep a defender close to the wide open receivers, lol

On 9/26/2019 at 1:19 PM, Tony-OH said:

I think they need to check their formula.  I see the Ravens sending 6 guys and getting no pressure.  People need to stop blindly trusting analytics.

15 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

If the Ravens aren't passing the eye test in many cases, perhaps the league in general sucks this year. Just a thought.

The Ravens are 26th in the league in sacks even though they blitz all the time.  The eye test is right this next generation stat is wrong.  

• Like 1