OFFNY

vs. RED SOX, 9/27

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posted in the currently reading thread.

Scored a 1979 first edition English translation of Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot.  With a pretty solid binding and the dustcover in fairly solid shape.

For a buck.

I have only read Solaris...I remember it was a disintegrating paperback and I couldn’t tell if I was missing pages or not.

Just now, Chavez Ravine said:

I have only read Solaris...I remember it was a disintegrating paperback and I couldn’t tell if I was missing pages or not.

I haven't read a bunch of his stuff but you can't turn that down.  Always sweet grabbing a first edition for cheap.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Not inconsistent with the theme of the book. I really like that novel. But I think the English translation is from a French translation of the original. Lem apparently hated it.

The movie by Andrei Tarkovsky (1972--not the US remake starring G. Clooney), it goes without saying, departs significantly from the novel, but it's one of my favorite ever. I rewatch it every chance I get.

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Posted in the currently reading thread.

Scored a 1979 first edition English translation of Stanislaw Lem's Tales of Pirx the Pilot.  With a pretty solid binding and the dustcover in fairly solid shape.

For a buck.

Congratulations! I'll buy it from you for a price that yields you a 500% profit haha.

4 minutes ago, LA2 said:

Congratulations! I'll buy it from you for a price that yields you a 500% profit haha.

Thanks.

It's going on the shelf next to my FE copies of The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Our Friends From Frolix 8.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I've been in Seoul for most of the last two years, and it's become a rich and perplexing experience enough for me to start calling where (I think) I am "Seoularis."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's going on the shelf next to my FE copies of The Fifth Head of Cerberus and Our Friends From Frolix 8.

Good decision. Don't let local market fluctuations distract you from long-term goals haha.

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Bordick just visited Maine and reports that it “is looking good” and “getting a little foliage in there” No mention of how center cut the color pallet was

Hardest-working foliage anywhere. For sure.

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Sorry, my dreams are going to be more worthy, then if Davis crushes or not.
    • I have laid out in another thread how I don't think that is remotely possible. The Pirates fans are being sold a proverbial bridge is Brooklyn by their ownership, whois trying to convince their fans a rebuild is necessary as a guide to make money off the team.  Nuttings number one asset outside of the pirates...Seven Springs.  How's that southern PA ski slope doing for ya? The pirates lineup has an MVP caliber player in Bell who put up a .900 OPS last year.  Brian Reynolds, Osuna, Frazier, and Newman are all capable of .800 OPS. Their top prospects are near MLB ready.  Kebryan Hayes is a phenomenal 3B talent.  O'Neil Cousins and Cole Tucker are ready with minimal time at AAA. Pitching is an issue, but Archer started to rebound last year, Musgrove vastly underperformed his peripherals, Chad Kuhl should be coming back from injury, Trevor Williams has proven to be more than capable and Mitch Keller is a top pitching prospect (top 10 MLB).  Put it this way, the only Orioles starter who would make their rotation is Means.  Their bullpen has some very solid pieces.   I think there is little chance this team is the worst in baseball barring a huge sell off.  And if that happens the fans in Pittsburgh should riot.  
    • If someone takes him and the O's eat 90 percent of his salary, that's still a win. I think it is a near impossibility too but as I said: a man can dream.
    • Not a bad list.  For me, while I like most everyone on the list, I think there is a noticeable drop-off in upside at 17 after Rom who is in front of Bannon and Sedlock.   It seems likely or possible that we will lose Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz, Baumann, Kremer, Lowther, Akin and Harvey off the top of this list - seven of our top 12 unless the FO really slow-plays the promotions (or the guys don't produce and lose prospect luster).  If our FO slow-promotes, it would be the clearest indication to me that we are likely in tanking mode again next season.  Perhaps not full tanking, but more of a "we are promoting guys to the majors, but not supplementing them with quality free agents".  Assuming the guys are doing fine or well in the minors, I sure would like to see Baumann, Lowther, Akin and Kremer tested in the majors this season.  I think it is important for their development that they start their major league experience sooner than later if they deserve it and to see what we have in them entering 2021.   If our 2020 draft has the same impact on the top 15 of the above list (see AR, Henderson and Stowers), then it seems likely that next year's list would be of comparable strength, but perhaps not a much stronger one without existing prospects (most likely candidates for that step up to include IMO Henderson, Adam Hall, Darell Hernaiz, Toby Welk, Drew Rom, Stowers and then perhaps a drop-off to Watson, Janvrin, Dashbach and a couple others) stepping up or some international prospects starting to impact the list or quality prospects received in trade (Mancini).
    • It might not be dumb, depending on the situation and how much salary the Orioles eat.   But I’m not going to waste my time arguing about hypotheticals that are extremely unlikely to happen.     
    • Not all the owners though. 
    • Here’s a MASN All Access interview with Matt Blood:   https://mobile.twitter.com/masnOrioles/status/1228439694192439296
  • Popular Contributors