Sign in to follow this  
TonySoprano

Gary Thorne on 2020 & Beyond

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Thanks for posting.

Nice job by Gary walking the tightrope between honesty and fatalism in looking toward next year.

I do disagree with Gary about his repeated statements that "you never know." One thing we do know, or at least I think I know, is this: if a team has lots of money to spend, is run by reasonably competent executives with limited meddling from ownership,. and spends freely over a period of years to open the flow of incoming talent from all avenues (international free agents, ML free agents, and other team's mistakes, as well as the amateur draft) and to put in place personnel and resources to assess and develop that talent, it has a very good chance to be successful, and a pretty good chance to be a contender.

Gary obviously is right that neither success nor contention is ever certain for any team looking ahead to next season, but the easiest and surest path to get there starts with having lots of money to spend. Or get yourself to the AL West, AL Central or NL East, where nobody has huge amounts of money to throw around. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I would definitely NOT non-tender Gary Thorne. He brings a lot to O's telecasts.

I hope he returns. 

I Iove Gary but the last thing I’m worried about is the pen. I mean I hope it’s better next year but as your depth improves your pen should follow. 

Many poor starters can become serviceable relievers. 

I still think the formula is position players first, then pitching. You need a core to build a team. 

• Upvote 1

I wish Gary Thorne knew what the actual baseball definition of a "foul tip" is.  Makes me crazy when he misuses the term.  Otherwise, he's okay.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:08 PM, NCRaven said:

I wish Gary Thorne knew what the actual baseball definition of a "foul tip" is.  Makes me crazy when he misuses the term.  Otherwise, he's okay.

Apparently he thinks the term includes swinging and missing the ball entirely.    Or, his eyesight’s just not that good.    😎