Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Absltgreek

DL Hall the Number One Carolina League Prospect per BA

Recommended Posts

This is a quiet board right now. 

Hall himself was quoted as really unhappy with his first half. It seems like everyone who watches him points out his command issues but is still blown away by his stuff. I'll take that. He has great upside and a good enough probability to be really bullish, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

This is a quiet board right now. 

Hall himself was quoted as really unhappy with his first half. It seems like everyone who watches him points out his command issues but is still blown away by his stuff. I'll take that. He has great upside and a good enough probability to be really bullish, IMO.

One thing important to mention is that when you project command improvements, the main things you look at are arm action, violence of the delivery, and the pitcher's athleticism (and age of course). Hall has a clean arm action and plus athleticism. There is some effort in the delivery but he sustains he stuff late in outings so he has the physicality necessary to repeat his delivery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think we wring our hands on this site about his command more than I've heard from the internet evaluators. I know I have. @Frobbydoes too. I'll just assume you guys are right since you know what you're looking at and I'm essentially just looking at stat lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I honestly think we wring our hands on this site about his command more than I've heard from the internet evaluators. I know I have. @Frobbydoes too. I'll just assume you guys are right since you know what you're looking at and I'm essentially just looking at stat lines.

What I’m hearing is that Hall has the necessary tools (e.g., repeatable delivery and athleticism) to improve his command.   That’s great, and I hope he’s able to do it, but he still has to do it to succeed.   

I think next year will be telling for Hall.    Frederick generally is a tough place to pitch, and we saw several of the Bowie starters put up better numbers in Bowie this year than they did last year in Frederick.   By the same token, many pitchers who thrived (statistically) at Delmarva had trouble with the transition to Frederick.    Hence, I am hoping to see Hall start pulling things together on the command front, and if he can do that, I expect him to dominate at Bowie.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What I’m hearing is that Hall has the necessary tools (e.g., repeatable delivery and athleticism) to improve his command.   That’s great, and I hope he’s able to do it, but he still has to do it to succeed.   

I think next year will be telling for Hall.    Frederick generally is a tough place to pitch, and we saw several of the Bowie starters put up better numbers in Bowie this year than they did last year in Frederick.   By the same token, many pitchers who thrived (statistically) at Delmarva had trouble with the transition to Frederick.    Hence, I am hoping to see Hall start pulling things together on the command front, and if he can do that, I expect him to dominate at Bowie.   

Absolutely. If he pulls it together on the command front, I expect him to dominate in the pros at some point, or at least be very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Grenier didn't get enough at bats.

Can, I love you brother, but I'd love to know where you keep all those dead horses.

  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Can, I love you brother, but I'd love to know where you keep all those dead horses.

Right on his front porch so everyone can watch him beat them.

I can't get excited about a pitching prospect with command issues.  I understand the reasons for being positive about him, athleticism, repeatable delivery but...I've just seen one too many pitchers come through this organization that don't have command.  That said, I do think we have the front office/coaching in place to help out here, moreso than ever before.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right on his front porch so everyone can watch him beat them.

I can't get excited about a pitching prospect with command issues.  I understand the reasons for being positive about him, athleticism, repeatable delivery but...I've just seen one too many pitchers come through this organization that don't have command.  That said, I do think we have the front office/coaching in place to help out here, moreso than ever before.  

I've said this before but I've read that with cases like Hall part of the walk issue might be that the hitters are so overmatched they don't swing.  Hopefully with an increase in competition this won't be an issue.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worse part of Hall being at Frederick for us is the lack of video available since the Keys and most other Carolina League team don't have video for their games. I have to wait until he gets to Bowie next year to have a better feel for his command.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Worse part of Hall being at Frederick for us is the lack of video available since the Keys and most other Carolina League team don't have video for their games. I have to wait until he gets to Bowie next year to have a better feel for his command.

4-13

4-26

8-1

Those three games have video of Hall's starts if you haven't seen them yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

4-13

4-26

8-1

Those three games have video of Hall's starts if you haven't seen them yet. 

Think i saw the 13th and 26th.. Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...