Jump to content
wildcard

O's Dilemma with Villar

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Hallas said:

Chris Davis had 2 fantastic years and 1 pretty good year, so I'm not sure he belongs in the discussion of one-season wonders. 

I didn’t intend to suggest Davis was a one-year wonder, but he got his massive contract after his career year, When it was unlikely that he would repeat it, And he had so many other problems. Villar is much more versatile, but speed is his best asset.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Philip said:

Ummmmyesitis.

Basically the main ways we can acquire talent in the next 2-3 years is via the draft and selling high on players. So we want the best draft position possible. 

To me, Villar is a slam dunk trade. It should really get people thinking that we should trade Bundy and Givens. Given that less teams are chasing the wild card in July, and that Givens and Bundy wouldn’t be considered elite difference makers, we’d have more of a market to trade them now.  Bundy can be a back of rotation type for two full seasons. Givens is a MR/SU guy that a team shouldn’t let face too many LH hitters. Trade them now instead of facing a niche market of 1-2 teams in July. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, connja said:

2nd base seems to are the only position they haven't tried out Mountcastle, which surprises me a bit since the word is that it's his arm that doesn't play at 3rd and SS.  Why haven't they tried him at 2nd, which would help to ease the corner OF/1B/DH log jam.

I don't have any insight into the Orioles' decisions and processes, but Mountcastle is 6' 3".  Here's a complete list of all players 6' 3" or taller who've played 500+ games at second in major league history: Ben Zobrist, DJ LeMahieu, Neil Walker, Mike Andrews, Don Kolloway.

Maybe this is a unfounded prejudice based on old information.  Probably it's because second basemen are selected in part for their quickness, agility and footwork around the bag while turning the double play.  Most players 6' 3" or taller aren't know for their ballerina-like moves.  

I'd at least entertain the idea that with the newer rules against takeout slides maybe teams would rethink the prioritization of agility in a second baseman.  But I still doubt the Orioles want to experiment with maybe their best hitting prospect getting his legs swept at a position he has never played as a pro.

(Edit: RC Gonzales and Ryan Flaherty are both 6' 3", so it looks like having a very tall second baseman could be key to having an out-of-nowhere Cinderella season in Baltimore)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountcastle, Mancini, and Nunez should all be splitting time between 1B and DH next year.  Trumbo is gone, Davis needs to go.  They need break the logjam of 1B/DH types.  Honestly, I'd be happy if they can find a trade partner for Nunez coming off his 30HR season.  Then you can let Mancini and Mountcastle play everyday between 1B and DH.  Or alternatively, trade Mancini if the value is there, let Nunez DH, and put Mountcastle at 1B every day.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Basically the main ways we can acquire talent in the next 2-3 years is via the draft and selling high on players. So we want the best draft position possible. 

To me, Villar is a slam dunk trade. It should really get people thinking that we should trade Bundy and Givens. Given that less teams are chasing the wild card in July, and that Givens and Bundy wouldn’t be considered elite difference makers, we’d have more of a market to trade them now.  Bundy can be a back of rotation type for two full seasons. Givens is a MR/SU guy that a team shouldn’t let face too many LH hitters. Trade them now instead of facing a niche market of 1-2 teams in July. 

I agree that trading Villar is a good idea if possible, but I doubt he will bring back enough of a return to make a trade worthwhile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't have any insight into the Orioles' decisions and processes, but Mountcastle is 6' 3".  Here's a complete list of all players 6' 3" or taller who've played 500+ games at second in major league history: Ben Zobrist, DJ LeMahieu, Neil Walker, Mike Andrews, Don Kolloway.

Maybe this is a unfounded prejudice based on old information.  Probably it's because second basemen are selected in part for their quickness, agility and footwork around the bag while turning the double play.  Most players 6' 3" or taller aren't know for their ballerina-like moves.  

I'd at least entertain the idea that with the newer rules against takeout slides maybe teams would rethink the prioritization of agility in a second baseman.  But I still doubt the Orioles want to experiment with maybe their best hitting prospect getting his legs swept at a position he has never played as a pro.

(Edit: RC Gonzales and Ryan Flaherty are both 6' 3", so it looks like having a very tall second baseman could be key to having an out-of-nowhere Cinderella season in Baltimore)

Schoop was only 6'2"' but built like a linebacker, and while not exactly balletic nobody turned the DP better IMO.

 

 

 

 

 

 

;"

;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

Schoop was only 6'2"' but built like a linebacker, and while not exactly balletic nobody turned the DP better IMO.

 

 

 

 

 

 

;"

;

I don't disagree, but Schoop has a third baseman's arm.  He probably had one of the better second baseman's arms I've seen.  Mountcastle doesn't, and he's never played second.  It just seems unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't disagree, but Schoop has a third baseman's arm.  He probably had one of the better second baseman's arms I've seen.  Mountcastle doesn't, and he's never played second.  It just seems unlikely.

Not arguing for Mountcastle just contesting the notion that 2B has to be BRob/Altuve types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Schoop was only 6'2"' but built like a linebacker, and while not exactly balletic nobody turned the DP better IMO.

 

 

 

 

 

 

;"

;

I agree, and nobody, IMO took throws on steals and made better tags at second. But, I thought he was rather average or below on range, going to his right on bloops. He just seemed nonchalant on plays he may have had some chance at. I don't know a thing about Mountcastle other than what has been written here. I could be wrong, but it seems the biggest complaint was his arm at third. It would be nice if he could handle second, 30 HR's at that position is a plus. I would guess the higher ups have already decided it would not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't disagree, but Schoop has a third baseman's arm.  He probably had one of the better second baseman's arms I've seen.  Mountcastle doesn't, and he's never played second.  It just seems unlikely.

Is there a reason why shorter ballerina like players are preferred at 2B but not at SS?  I can't really see why 2B would require a player to be more athletic than SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hallas said:

Is there a reason why shorter ballerina like players are preferred at 2B but not at SS?  I can't really see why 2B would require a player to be more athletic than SS.

I assume it's all about the double play pivot, the quick transfer from catch to throwing to a base behind you, and the fact your back is usually to the baserunner while waiting for the throw.  The shortstop almost always has the play in front of him, and is coming across the bag.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

Not arguing for Mountcastle just contesting the notion that 2B has to be BRob/Altuve types.

Weird aside, but prior to about 1920 or 1930 third basemen and second basemen were kind of switched.  Second basemen were often bigger guys who were valued more for hitting than glove.  Third basemen were seen as defense-first players whose primary responsibility was to be agile and handle the endless bunts coming their way.  I think Nap Lajoie was built more like Schoop than Altuve (at least for his era).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 2:57 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

So he should bring in a decent return in a trade. Even if it's just for one year of him at 3rd year arb prices.

I was thinking a player in teams top 5-10 range, a 25-30, and some filler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That was more of a vague approximation.  But I don't really like the idea of signing a pretty good player into his early-to-mid 30s at free agent rates.  Maybe it's Brian Roberts.

Villar and Roberts are basically the same player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • MLB Pipeline did a Top 10 on their podcast this week, including shreds on I guess NCAA sophomores who like Kjerstad in February/March may have done stuff for a few weeks.  It also acquainted me with the demographics of the basket where 1-5 will be one of them. Pirates 1 - Lawlar the HS shortstop Rangers 2 - Kumar Tigers 3 - McClain, some Madrigal-sized middle infielder from UCLA, maybe/maybe not SS Red Sox 4 - del Castillo, some slugging catcher from "The U" deemed best hitter in draft Orioles 5 - Leiter (I'd be glad with this outcome for polish going towards 2022 usefulness) D'Backs 6 - Jake Hill, the LSU right-hander, non-Vanderbilt best of SEC rest.   Guessing Ben may know him some. Royals 7 - Jud Zabian, Florida OF    <mock now at 6 straight NCAA after the high school SS character who seems impossible to get to 1-5> <hosts say these Top 7 are a clear tier in whatever order they fall> Rockies 8 - Alex Vanellas, Louisville 3B Angels 9 - Marcelo Mayer, high school SS #2 Mets 10 - James Wood, IMG Academy high school OF <nary a high school pitcher in these 10, though with draft pushed back to July, the Nick Bitsko analogs born in 2003 will have some extra time to strut their stuff, in case the next Kerry Wood, Josh Beckett or Dylan Bundy can only Netflix and chill right now>    
    • I would dangle him to anyone whi would take him. I didn't want him back at any cost let alone 1.8M
    • He is so streaky that when he is in his funk he will be worse than the MIF we run out there.
    • https://halohangout.com/2020/07/13/angels-garrett-stallings-summer-camp/ An Angels fansite report when he later got to their 60 this summer cites a curve as the Junior year difference maker. Their source for that this campus story https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-Baseball-Vols-Garrett-Stallings-selected-in-fifth-round-of-MLB-Draft-132589216/ also has the details he was their 2019 Friday night guy even with Crochet on the team. His Perfect Game blurb from high school times mentioned three-quarters to over the top arm angle, gee whiz. Who knows if he could have had Kevin Smith's 2019 in parallel universe 2020?   SEC trade imports links them, but Smith actually doing it including a little AA success is a big credit in his favor for the moment.
    • He fits the Smith/Kjerstad mold of SEC guys steadily improving (Growth Mindset?), even if some of that is demonstrated in small sample sizes.   Smith did backup his Junior Year rise up draft boards with his great 2019 for the Mets.  I am imagining entering Junior year Stallings was not a 5th or 25th round profile.   He's one more piece for the box of chocolates we'll get to open in the spring.
    • I wonder if he had a velocity spike his junior year and if that would make it less likely for him to have untapped velocity?
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...