wildcard

O's Dilemma with Villar

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think anyone who will still be an asset in 2022 is cheap enough that they can hold onto them for now.

I'll disagree with you on your Yankee point.  I wouldn't trade AR for Jasson Dominguez.  Huge ceiling of course but the bust potential of any 16 year old is too great.

Yeah but was Jasson all they signed?  They’ll just do the same next int’l period too. It’s jusr real hard in this division. Look at TB. Even with the #1 pick last year we likely just kept pace with teams in the division in terms of amateur talent acquisition. 

But maybe we shouldn’t trade Villar. 😂

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah but was Jasson all they signed?  They’ll just do the same next int’l period too. It’s jusr real hard in this division. Look at TB. Even with the #1 pick last year we likely just kept pace with teams in the division in terms of amateur talent acquisition. 

But maybe we shouldn’t trade Villar. 😂

He signed for 5M and their allotted pool was $5,398,300.

6 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What the heck are you talking about?

Brainwashed?

Are you familiar with my overly extensive posting history?

I am quite sure that the O's were profitable, very profitable, in 2019.

I am sure they could spend more on the 2020 team and still be profitable.

I am also sure that the owners have expectations when it comes to a return on their investment.

Just because the team produces a certain amount of income does not mean that they can then, in turn, spend that income.

I think the Orioles and MASN are the chief source of income for the Angelos family.

Why is the budget so limited? I've read a lot of your posts over the years. I just don't get the talk about the money being limited.

The Peter Angelos family has made absurd amounts of money on Tobacco and Asbestos. So I really doubt they need to be sucking revenues from the Orioles. But I can't confirm or deny if John and Louis are drawing salaries from   The team or RSN. But even if they are drawing $5 million each it still hardly makes a dent in my opinion.

45 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why is the budget so limited? I've read a lot of your posts over the years. I just don't get the talk about the money being limited.

The Peter Angelos family has made absurd amounts of money on Tobacco and Asbestos. So I really doubt they need to be sucking revenues from the Orioles. But I can't confirm or deny if John and Louis are drawing salaries from   The team or RSN. But even if they are drawing $5 million each it still hardly makes a dent in my opinion.

I don't know why, I'm  just looking at what they are doing.  Is the law firm doing well?  How many charitable acts are they committing?  Candidates they are supporting?

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He signed for 5M and their allotted pool was $5,398,300.

They spent $18.1 million in the Dominican in 2014. Yeah, so in 2015 the most they could sign any single player to was $300k. Aka the biggest bonus the O’s give out during any signing period. 

To put $18.1 million into perspective that’s pretty much two entire draft pool’s worth of money. Plus they’re getting the ultimate bang for their buck because they’re spending it on 16yo versus 18-21yo. So a much higher ceiling. These kids are scouted way more than most HS and NCAA players.  The darn island is only so big, and the DR is only half of that.  There’s only so many places to travel to scout.

As laughable the talent gap was on the field this year between the Yanks and O’s, it’s even more laughable when looking at amateur talent acquisition and development. Elias has a huge job on his hands. 

There’s two slam dunks this offseason... Trade Villar(bring this puppy back to the OP) and spend the remaining $2.5 million of int’l bonus slot money. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't know why, I'm  just looking at what they are doing.  Is the law firm doing well?  How many charitable acts are they committing?  Candidates they are supporting?

Well they gave 200M to two guys who where supposedly sluggers who quickly became non sluggers, and 57M to a picther who spends most of his time on the IL. Is that considered charity?

13 hours ago, Natty said:

We should keep Villar. Pay him the 7M or so that arbitration rules. Unless we can get another second baseman with a 4.0 WAR that bats .274 with 24 HR, 33 2B, scores 111 R, and steals 40 bases. Just play him at second not short.

I think he should be dealt if you can get value.

as I mentioned earlier... 1 in somebody’s top 10, 1 in their 20-30, and some filler seems fair.

Lock him up first if need be. I see no reason why Villar wouldn’t jump all over a 3 year 18ish million deal with perhaps a 4th year option.

i think it’s safe to assume you can get 1.5-2.0 WAR average at minimum. If you get 3. O+ in years 1 & 2 the contract is a slam dunk.

I think he would take the contract Security due to the fact that he’s way under rated.

We’re going to get a return for him. That’s a W right there. Just like Cashner. The fact that Villar played well enough for us to get anything for him is a W. That’s how you have to look at it. It would be like if by some Christmas miracle Cobb makes himself tradeable over the next 1.5 years, that would be a W. 

Incremental improvements for the future. It’s not sexy, but it’s reality. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• I think it was Bob Feller, who said of Dwight Gooden, “I would rather have his future than my past.“ Looking at today’s pitching environment, I would much rather have the future of our own guys, then hope for a continuation of the past of the other teams’ guys. I continue to think that pitching is going to be the least of our problems in this season.
    • The Bills were run-blitzing with zone coverage.  You actually can't play man vs Lamar.  He just takes off for 25 yards every time.   You also can't really screen with Lamar as your QB, because it doesn't work vs run-blitzes, and they never do normal blitzes like they would vs Aaron Rodgers.  Lamar had a lot of success with short passes in the flat vs the Bills.  He threw 14 out of 22 non-throwaway passes less than 5 air yards from scrimmage. (this was calculated by me watching, so it might not correlate with any published stats)  He completed 10 of them, 1 was dropped, and 3 were off-target (1 was from a bad snap.) I think they attacked the Bills correctly up until the interception.  And then on the very next play he got knocked out of the game because our OL had their worst game of the season.  If Lamar stayed in the game I think the Ravens could have maybe made it interesting.
    • So I think that there are 2 extreme camps among sports fans regarding key talent: one side wants nothing more than to keep all homegrown talent, completely blind to their faults, and the other side wants nothing more than to blow everything up every 2 years because everyone sucks.  Being honest with myself, I lean toward the first camp, and I was wrong about wanting to keep Flacco after he won us a super bowl.  I'd like to think that in the future I won't hold unhealthy nostalgia for questionable players, but one can never be certain.   That said, I think that the fact that we're even debating the talent/skill level of a player that won an MVP as a 22 year old QB is insane.  Straight up insane.  Yet here we are.  Don't take this as me believing that this debate is not without merit.  It is.  But Flacco had the benefit of proving that he wasn't worth the contract.  It's not fair to assume that Lamar, who has been by far the superior player in the regular season, won't be worth a contract just because Flacco wasn't.  And given Lamar's age even a lengthy extension isn't going to take him past 28 or 29.  That's more or less the same age that Flacco was after he won the Super Bowl.
    • Before beating the Titans the Ravens had a horrid long streak of losses when losing after the 1st quarter. The win against the Titans improved that by 1 win and I don't think you can dismiss the prior stuff anymore than you can forget he was the MVP in 2019. Sorry but Lamar doesn't compare to Mahomes when it comes to this category. Last year when they won the Super Bowl it seemed like the Chiefs were down nearly every game. We did beat the Titans in the playoffs and Lamar does deserve some credit. But, He did throw the interception when the game was still undecided. Thankfully it didn't shift the momentum the way the interception against the Bills did. Also @Tony-OH was discussing whether we preferred to be wowed during the 17 games during the season and then watching him struggle during the playoffs versus watching Joe Flacco struggle during the season and then becoming Mr Clutch in the playoffs.     So here I am going to acknowledge your valid points. But, The Bills were jailbreak blitzing on nearly every play while using their CBs one on one with any player lined up at WR and a single deep safety in the middle. The linebackers and strong safety took turns blitzing or dropping back to cover zone in the middle of the field. This defensive approach can be done every week by every team! The reason that it isn't is it can be picked about with short passing and screens. if they did this to Rodgers or Brady they would destroy that defense. Also there were certainly bad snaps that caused problems and are totally unacceptable. But, there were also times that Lamar also bobbled snaps at his chest. I agree with you on the failure to recognize blitzers but based on the amount of them he needed to go to the outlet . My bigger concern was holding the ball too long at times and trying to scramble away from the pressure and getting sacked for a loss as opposed to throwing the ball away. Again, there was blame to go around on the offense. I think we can agree that Lamar really didn't play well in the playoffs.         Can you show me where this was mentioned in this thread?
    • Very sad to hear this.  Damned this pandemic.
    • Lamar threw for 2800 yards in 15 games, and most people agree he had a down year.  If there's someone who can get open and hold on to the damn ball, there are easily 1100 yards available to a receiver that wants them. Is Allen Robinson too rich for us?  I'd be ok with Godwin or Golladay.  I'd lean toward Godwin because he is more comfortable in the slot which plays to Jackson's strengths, and because while Golladay gets contested balls I don't like that he's mediocre at creating separation.   I was (and still am) against addressing WR in the early rounds of the draft, but I'd love a top tier WR via FA or trade.  I wasn't really convinced about it until seeing the difference it made for Allen and Kyler Murray.  I personally think Allen is only marginally better than he was last year, but the fact that he has Diggs to throw to now has turned him into a pro bowler.
  • Popular Contributors