Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Dan Duquette did pretty well with July 2018 trades

The full story is not written yet but the progress in 2019 with good for the O's with the players in these trades.

Machado for Diaz, Kremer, Bannon, Pop, (Valera DFA’d)

Schoop for Villar, Ortiz,  Carmona - O’s Won the trade

Britton - Carroll, Tate, Rogers

Gausman/O’Day - Phillips, Cumberland, Zimmerman,  Encarnacion, Saved 18m - O’s Won the trade  on cost savings.   

1. Villar  - 4 WAR makes him better than Schoop

2. Diaz -  O's #5 prospect. Everyday RF ETA 2nd half 2020

3. Kremer - O's #8 prospect. Starter ETA 2nd half 2020

4.  Carroll - RP Will compete for bullpen spot on OD 2020

5. Phillips - RP  Will compete for bullpen spot in 2020

6.   Bannon 2B/3B  - O's #23 prospect.  ETA late 2020/or 2021

7.  Pop  RP  O's #25 prospect.  2nd half 2021 after recovery for TJ surgery

8. Tate - RP -   O's # 26 prospect.  ETA sometime in 2020

9. Cumberland  BUC  -  O's #29 prospect. Will compete for back up catcher spot in 2021

10.  Zimmerman SP/RP  - Probably RP 2021

11. Ortiz -  SP/RP  ETA 2021 if he makes it to the majors.

12. Rogers - Probably DFA’d and outrighted to Tides where he will try to turn things around as a RP.

13.Encarnacion - O's #28 prospect?

14. Carmona - ?

Norfolk rotation of Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Wells and Baumann  will push Zimmerman,  Ortiz and Rogers to relief until some of them make the majors.

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

You gotta pump the brakes here.  I admire the optimism though.

Do you agree that the O's have won the Schoop and Gausman/O'Day trades?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Well of course everyone would have to. But the actual end results may be so insignificant that the nebulous Manny and Britton trades may even it out. Nothing here was terribly exciting. I'm a Diaz and Kremer and Cumberland fan. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No.  Not yet at least.

I'm kind of tired of this whole "won the trade" notion.  I'm assuming that these GM's work together in good faith in order to make their teams better and not in some dastardly manner to pull the rug out from each other.  Yeah, you get a Glenn Davis trade where the Orioles clearly lost but I doubt the Astros GM was like "Hey, watch me pull a fast one and dump Glenn Davis on them."

Villar has proven to be a good player.  The book hasn't been written on him yet, we'd have to see if he can provide 4 WAR next year.  We'd also have to see what we can get back for him on a trade to see what else he can provide.

Getting rid of Gausman was addition by subtraction for me.  So I guess they "won" there.

Let's face it. So much of the current "value" of these trades is tied to throw in Villar and that is yet to be seen as a net positive beyond salary. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Let's face it. So much of the current "value" of these trades is tied to throw in Villar and that is yet to be seen as a net positive beyond salary. 

Agreed.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No.  Not yet at least.

I'm kind of tired of this whole "won the trade" notion.  I'm assuming that these GM's work together in good faith in order to make their teams better and not in some dastardly manner to pull the rug out from each other.  Yeah, you get a Glenn Davis trade where the Orioles clearly lost but I doubt the Astros GM was like "Hey, watch me pull a fast one and dump Glenn Davis on them."

Villar has proven to be a good player.  The book hasn't been written on him yet, we'd have to see if he can provide 4 WAR next year.  We'd also have to see what we can get back for him on a trade to see what else he can provide.

Getting rid of Gausman was addition by subtraction for me.  So I guess they "won" there.

You seen to be making it personal  between GMs. That not what I am suggesting.   I think its the media and the fans looking at the trades and evaluating who got better value from the trades.

The trades overall certainly look better now than they did at first. Especially the Schoop and Gausman/O’Day trades. Machado trade still looks about as uninspiring as it did when it was made and the Britton trade is good if only for the fact Britton hardly had any value. I think Duquette did good enough. I think maybe only one out of all those players will have a major league career but it’s one more potentially productive player than we would’ve seen otherwise I suppose.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, weams said:

It's so insignificant. Nowhere was a future changing asset exchanged. 

I don't think that is been determined yet.    Players develop.  We don't know how the players the O's received will preform in the future.   

However I think the Brewers got so little out of Schoop and the Braves got so little out of Gausman and O'Day that O's have already won those two trades.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't think that is been determined yet.    Players develop.  We don't know how the players the O's received will preform in the future.   

However I think the Brewers got so little out of Schoop and the Braves got so little out of Gausman and O'Day that O's have already won those two trades.

In a very insignificant way. 

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

No.  Not yet at least.

There's an article on how the Astros trade for Greinke came together (that I can't find right now) and what stood out to me was how the D'backs and Astros valued the same prospects almost exactly the same way.  To me, the idea that "we know our guys way better than another team does" is kinda gone now. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, weams said:

It's so insignificant. Nowhere was a future changing asset exchanged. 

If by future changing you mean a player equal in value to Manny, well, no.  But, Manny had a future value to the Orioles equal to Zero.  So any player from those trades that provides any useful Major League service time is a plus.

So, for me, if Diaz is an every day outfielder, he is a future changing asset.

If Kremer is a piece of the rotation, he is a future changing asset. 

If Tate is a useful bullpen arm, he is a future changing asset (although to a lesser degree than if he made it as a starter).

But they're all still "ifs."  So, again for me, other than Villar, it's a bunch of we'll sees.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

The trades overall certainly look better now than they did at first. Especially the Schoop and Gausman/O’Day trades. Machado trade still looks about as uninspiring as it did when it was made and the Britton trade is good if only for the fact Britton hardly had any value. I think Duquette did good enough. I think maybe only one out of all those players will have a major league career but it’s one more potentially productive player than we would’ve seen otherwise I suppose.

In fact, I am not certain that the Orioles would have been better off just non tendering Britton after the rupture at Boras training. Not sure how much money they could have saved.