Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
weams

MLBTR: Three Things

Recommended Posts

It's funny how MLBTR went from a dude living in his mom's basement essentially making things up to being some sort of credible insight on baseball webpage.

He's not wrong about any of the stuff he says but it's all stuff that's been talked about ad nauseum on here.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's funny how MLBTR went from a dude living in his mom's basement essentially making things up to being some sort of credible insight on baseball webpage.

He's not wrong about any of the stuff he says but it's all stuff that's been talked about ad nauseum on here.  

Quite true. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Walk me through why extending Mancini would be a good idea and why he wouldn’t go through the arbitration process.

You are going to have to think he's a valuable player for you team into his 30's for it to make much sense.   As for Mancini, some players prefer the safety of guaranteed money, heck most players do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Walk me through why extending Mancini would be a good idea and why he wouldn’t go through the arbitration process.

 

1. Depends on how much you like Mancini as a player, and I'm not convinced he's got more than 5 great years in him, but...

2. Obviously Longoria took his contract before his rookie year so that's an extreme example, but lets hypothetically say Mancini was the kind of guy to get a contract like 6/100 in free agency, but you can buy him out now for 9/80 ... his money is 1) a big check guaranteed now and 2) eliminates his risk of losing everything to injury or ineffectiveness .... at the expense of $20M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

 

1. Depends on how much you like Mancini as a player, and I'm not convinced he's got more than 5 great years in him, but...

2. Obviously Longoria took his contract before his rookie year so that's an extreme example, but lets hypothetically say Mancini was the kind of guy to get a contract like 6/100 in free agency, but you can buy him out now for 9/80 ... his money is 1) a big check guaranteed now and 2) eliminates his risk of losing everything to injury or ineffectiveness .... at the expense of $20M.

Your scenario would be giving up more than $20M because he’d get paid arbitration salaries in the first three years, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, backwardsk said:

Walk me through why extending Mancini would be a good idea and why he wouldn’t go through the arbitration process.

Would be cheaper for the club for his last 3 years, assuming this year is a benchmark on what would we should expect from Trey offensively and defensively if they leave him at 1B; then we'd be keeping him for most likely under market value for the remaining years of the deal if we consider the market for 1st base bats who hit FA around the time Mancini is expected to hit FA in 2023. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MDtransplant757 said:

Would be cheaper for the club for his last 3 years, assuming this year is a benchmark on what would we should expect from Trey offensively and defensively if they leave him at 1B; then we'd be keeping him for most likely under market value for the remaining years of the deal if we consider the market for 1st base bats who hit FA around the time Mancini is expected to hit FA in 2023. 

He definitely had a better year than I was expecting but I don't think it would be wise to use this year as a benchmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He definitely had a better year than I was expecting but I don't think it would be wise to use this year as a benchmark.

I think trading him now would maximize return and save big money. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Would be cheaper for the club for his last 3 years, assuming this year is a benchmark on what would we should expect from Trey offensively and defensively if they leave him at 1B; then we'd be keeping him for most likely under market value for the remaining years of the deal if we consider the market for 1st base bats who hit FA around the time Mancini is expected to hit FA in 2023. 

So what would be the framework of your proposed deal?  I’ll play the role of Mancini.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Extending a limited player is a bad idea. If we haven’t learned anything from Chris Davis we never will, but here we have another limited player. Even discussing extending him is silly. I’m really not sure we’re even going to find a meaningful trade return for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think extending Mancini is a good idea.    A year from now we may be looking at Mountcastle as the 1B for the future with Santander, Hays and Diaz in the outfield.   

Mancini may be the face of the franchise for now.  But until the O's can assemble a pitching staff that can compete all positions  are in flux.

I would put Mancini at 1B in 2020 and Mountcastle in LF after he is promoted on April 10th.  But we know Hyde is going to move players around.  They both could see time at 1B/COF/DH as the season goes on.  They should be a good middle of the order tandem in 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's funny how MLBTR went from a dude living in his mom's basement essentially making things up to being some sort of credible insight on baseball webpage.

He's not wrong about any of the stuff he says but it's all stuff that's been talked about ad nauseum on here.  

I thought MLBTR was just a service that rebroadcast out what other writers had posted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thought MLBTR was just a service that rebroadcast out what other writers had posted?

Back in the early days, IIRC, it was some of that but it was also unconfirmed rumors that didn't have a source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Too many variables right now. Try to make it into May and see where we are.Virus does not care about data points. Could die down and come back in the fall or winter.Maybe we have a treatment that works in two months,at least on most people.Honestly more worried about small businesses and workers then baseball and rich owners.   Germany may try something we are looking at.But we really need to test and get back results in less then a week Send the people who had the virus and send them back into the workforce first since they are immune. Slowly get the economy going over time.
    • Baseball without fans is important to the nation’s psyche.
    • I don't think we can shutdown for 18 months.  I don't think baseball without fans is important to the economy.  I just see spectator sports as the very last thing that comes back.  
    • There's the atomic we've come to know... I was wondering if someone else was posting for you recently.
    • I was born into being an O's fan, but at the age of 8 in 1973 my family moved to Cleveland. So I was a Tribe fan (and O's) from 1973 until 1978 when we moved to NJ (then I dropped Cleveland and stayed with Baltimore). I was a big John Lowenstein fan when he was in Cleveland...and was thrilled when Brother Low ended up in Baltimore! 
    • It stinks not having a season to judge and scout these guys more....   Martin sure looked like a world beater last year, though he was scuffling a bit to start this year....    Agreed that Lacy's 3rd pitch is fairly non-existent and Hancock has a more complete arsenal.   Lacy showed better command this year and his slider was wipeout.   Yes, developing a 3rd pitch wouldn't hurt him.   Steve Carlton  and Ron Guidry were two of the greatest lefties ever and they did fine with the fastball/slider combo.  They had 3rd pitches but just as a "show-me" type pitch.   (Of course, those were some of the best sliders and fastballs ever!).   I agree our farm system has better pitching prospects than position prospects at the moment.   That is not a reason to not draft a pitcher.   Pitching wins Championships.   You need to do battle with the beastly lineups the Yankees, Red Sox and Blue Jays are going to trot out year after year.   Build a championship starting rotation, then add some positional talent.  Sign a couple of free agents if you have to.  Hitters and position players tend to be cheaper than starting pitchers anyway....   I think Hancock has the higher ceiling but Lacy has the higher floor.   Having watched them both, I'd pick Lacy.   Though I wouldn't be upset with Hancock.   Reid Detmers was lights out also...
    • Pat Valaika – 2B Andrew Velazquez – LF Don't even know who these guys are.  
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...