Sign in to follow this  
weams

Anyone got nine more years? ...

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I answered your question.

LOL, if my memory serves correct, you made a statement and you said Bonds.

I was not getting it, until Weams had to explain it to me, scroll above. :)

On 10/11/2019 at 6:39 AM, JR Oriole said:

The Nats have been a very good team since 2012.  The reason they are where they are this morning is they finally found an incredibly clutch, fearless stud who came up with huge hits in the playoffs when his team needed him.  If any of the teams that just got ousted had middle of the lineup hitters that delivered in key spots like the ones on teams that are still standing, they might still be around.  I know in some ways the playoffs can be a crapshoot, but you need your stars to deliver when it counts or you won't go anywhere.  We could have used a guy like Soto in 2014 and 2016, that's for sure. 

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-2019-top-30-prospects-list-c304136246

"There's something to be said about the Nationals' track record of scouting, signing and developing international prospects."  They also have a dominican baseball academy. 

37 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

https://www.mlb.com/nationals/news/nationals-2019-top-30-prospects-list-c304136246

"There's something to be said about the Nationals' track record of scouting, signing and developing international prospects."  They also have a dominican baseball academy. 

They also had a GM and director of International Development banned from baseball over it. 

5 hours ago, weams said:

They also had a GM and director of International Development banned from baseball over it. 

Looks like they are still in the playoffs though. 

Edited by dmvsports410

14 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

Looks like they are still in the playoffs though. 

Absolutely. No one ever said that cheating was not a great strategy. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why not.    Roberts, Markakis, Jones, Hardy, Davis, O’Day, Trumbo.   And hopefully, Elias will be a bit smarter about extending guys earlier and picking the right guys to extend.    

By the way, I’d also be OK if we systematically traded good players about 2 years before FA, once our pipeline is full, the way Tampa has done successfully for many years. This requires a very good farm system and the confidence to evaluate whether your young prospects can do the job.   Those are not things the O’s have often had over the last 30 years.     Think about how we might have handled Trumbo if we’d had confidence that Mancini would turn out as he did, for example.    

Ownership is the key to all of this. Can’t sign players without owners approval. 

I hope the sons learn from their fathers mistakes. So far, so good. 

On 10/11/2019 at 6:39 AM, JR Oriole said:

The Nats have been a very good team since 2012.  The reason they are where they are this morning is they finally found an incredibly clutch, fearless stud who came up with huge hits in the playoffs when his team needed him.  If any of the teams that just got ousted had middle of the lineup hitters that delivered in key spots like the ones on teams that are still standing, they might still be around.  I know in some ways the playoffs can be a crapshoot, but you need your stars to deliver when it counts or you won't go anywhere.  We could have used a guy like Soto in 2014 and 2016, that's for sure. 

They draft well, and they have always made it a thing for pitching. Lots of homegrown talent. It's going thin now, but they do a good job via the international signings also. Look forward the to the O's with Adley, Grayson. Diaz etc coming through the ranks. 

On 10/12/2019 at 7:17 AM, Frobby said:

By the way, I’d also be OK if we systematically traded good players about 2 years before FA, once our pipeline is full, the way Tampa has done successfully for many years. This requires a very good farm system and the confidence to evaluate whether your young prospects can do the job.   Those are not things the O’s have often had over the last 30 years.     Think about how we might have handled Trumbo if we’d had confidence that Mancini would turn out as he did, for example.    

The Orioles can fund a much higher payroll than Tampa, so I'm not sure that process is necessary. I think you can look to the Cardinals as an example of how the Orioles could be successful long-term. Elias started there and seems to want to emulate their success, which is mentioned here:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/10/11/orioles-envision-als-cardinals-lcs-predictions-babe-ruth-museum-event/

1 hour ago, theocean said:

The Orioles can fund a much higher payroll than Tampa, so I'm not sure that process is necessary. I think you can look to the Cardinals as an example of how the Orioles could be successful long-term. Elias started there and seems to want to emulate their success, which is mentioned here:

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/10/11/orioles-envision-als-cardinals-lcs-predictions-babe-ruth-museum-event/

Why do Orioles need to spend more than Tampa (Bay)?

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Why do Orioles need to spend more than Tampa (Bay)?

Chris. Davis. Otherwise, it would be great to be as good at putting a team together as the Rays are.