Sign in to follow this  
weams

Anyone got nine more years? ...

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Jeez, Drungo, not everything has to come down to "Well when so and so was this guys age, he was playing here in this league while this other guy was wildly successful over here in this other league."

No, the comp was that when Kevin Mitchell was young, he was in shape.  And he had an MVP season.  And when he got into his late 20s, he couldn't stay away from the buffet line and got out of shape and everything quickly eroded. It had nothing to do with what age Soto was and where he was in his career vs. what Mitchell was doing at the same age in his career.  

My point was that when Kevin Mitchell was this young he may have been in shape but he was three levels below the majors.  Maybe Soto gets lazy and fat.  But his performance is massively better at the same ages, and for all we know he could be an MVP with six more years of growth as a hitter and around the waistline.  Mitchell is a weird comp for Soto.  Everyone who was as good as Soto at this age ended up with a long, successful career.  The washouts and injuries and lazy guys on this list are like Vada Pinson, who I always have to go check if he's in the Hall or not.

Is there some reason to think Soto is going to get fat and lazy?

• Upvote 1

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

My point was that when Kevin Mitchell was this young he may have been in shape but he was three levels below the majors.  Maybe Soto gets lazy and fat.  But his performance is massively better at the same ages, and for all we know he could be an MVP with six more years of growth as a hitter and around the waistline.  Mitchell is a weird comp for Soto.  Everyone who was as good as Soto at this age ended up with a long, successful career.  The washouts and injuries and lazy guys on this list are like Vada Pinson, who I always have to go check if he's in the Hall or not.

Is there some reason to think Soto is going to get fat and lazy?

200.gif

• Upvote 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Natty said:

It will be longer than that unless we buy some good pitching. 

Huh?

Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, Michael Baumann, Zac Lowther, Dean Kremer, Alex Wells, Hunter Harvey and Keegan Akin would like to have a conversation with you. When they're done, Gray Fenter, Leonardo Rodriguez, Drew Rom, Cody Sedlock, Steve Klimek and Adam Stauffer would like to chat. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Buck’s number still in Andy’s contact list you think? 

Andy didn't want to hire Buck in the first place. I doubt he'll be calling him in Philadelphia.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

By my count 27 different teams have won 90+ games in a season since 2010.  I think the only teams without a 90-win season in the past decade are Seattle, Miami, and the White Sox.  And the Mariners have won 85-89 three of the last six years.  So despite some obvious tanking and rebuilding there's nothing quite like the 1990s-2010 Pirates, Orioles and Royals.  Or the 1920-50 Phillies, A's, Browns, Braves and Senators. 

And the Rays, with no discernable fan base and maybe the lowest revenues in the league, have made the playoffs five times since 2008 and have the same number of seasons under 70 wins as the Red Sox.

I just want the Rays playing somewhere in a nice stadium. Now I have to root against them because I can't stand even watching games on TV when they play in the Trop. They've done the best job of any team in competing with a low payroll. I'm impressed with their abilities and if Elias and company prove to as cunning the Orioles will have a great chance to be competitive year in and year out. 

So far I like what I'm seeing and hearing from Elias on how he's completely rebuilding how this franchise will acquire, develop and assess talent. The next step, which is probably 2-3 years away, will be to see how he plans to keep a competitive team on the field that can compete year in and year out. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Andy didn't want to hire Buck in the first place. I doubt he'll be calling him in Philadelphia.

Interesting tidbit, that I hadnt heard before.

I suspect as dysfunctional the org was, even with Andy, they probably got turned by a few people before hiring Buck.

This team will suck as long as an Angelos has their name on the checks.  All this team can look forward to is trying to beat out the Blow Jays every year.  And that is a low standard.  Soccer is looking more appealing than watching this team.  I give a lot of kudos for you guys who have watched these guys the whole past two plus years. 

And this is coming from a guy who has been following them O's since 1968.

source.gif

1 minute ago, MongoBoy said:

This team will suck as long as an Angelos has their name on the checks.  All this team can look forward to is trying to beat out the Blow Jays every year.  And that is a low standard.  Soccer is looking more appealing than watching this team.  I give a lot of kudos for you guys who have watched these guys the whole past two plus years. 

source.gif

I dont think you have made a fair assessment of this team since Aug of 2018

I think its pretty clear to most of us fans, that the Angelos boys are not their daddy, and they are doing a pretty good cleansing of the organization, and putting in pieces to help with a rebuild and turn this team into a contender.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Andy wanted Wedge right?

1 hour ago, MongoBoy said:

source.gif

I think they can build a solid farm system, but think they will be cash strapped and  cheap in signing core players down the line. Enjoy Adley while he is here. 

1 minute ago, dmvsports410 said:

That's Kevin Mitchell though. 

My goodness.  I used him as an EXAMPLE.  As evidence of something that COULD happen.  Not WILL happen.  

20 minutes ago, dmvsports410 said:

I think they can build a solid farm system, but think they will be cash strapped and  cheap in signing core players down the line. Enjoy Adley while he is here. 

What do you base this assessment on?

Why do you think they are cash strapped?