Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends on who a team has in their system.   Mountcastle would look more valuable if the O's didn't have Mancini and Diaz.   But they do.

Diaz?

Why did you include Diaz?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Depends on who a team has in their system.   Mountcastle would look more valuable if the O's didn't have Mancini and Diaz.   But they do.

I don’t put Diaz in the same bucket.   He’s a guy who is capable of playing CF if needed, and definitely has the arm for RF.   I do put Stewart in that bucket.    
 

Anyway I generally liked Elias’ first draft, both on a standalone basis and as complementing the talent already in our system.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Diaz?

Why did you include Diaz?

I was responding to this from Frobby.

Quote

the fact that he’s now a 1B/LF/DH type.   You just don’t want to spend too many high picks on players with that profile.  

And that is true because the O's have players and prospects in the 1B/LF position  including Mancini and Diaz who  is projected to take over RF in the next year and move Santander to LF.    

But if the O's did not have Mancini and Diaz/Santander  it might to smart to use high draft picks to get 1B/LFer.   It depend on what a team have in their the system.   

There is a 1B in the June draft the is highly rated and some team that needs him will be smart to draft him.

Yes its smart to  draft the best player available.  But when a team concentrates on positions, like Elias did with C/CF/SS,  that depends on what positions the team needs in their system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was responding to this from Frobby.

And that is true because the O's have players and prospects in the 1B/LF position  including Mancini and Diaz who  is projected to take over RF in the next year and move Santander to LF.    

But if the O's did not have Mancini and Diaz/Santander there it might to smart to use high draft picks to get 1B/LFer.   It depend on what a team have in their the system.   

There is a 1B in the June draft the is highly rated and some team that needs him will be smart to draft him.

Yes its smart to  draft the best player available.  But when a team concentrates on positions, like Elias did with C/CF/SS,  that depend on what positions the team needs in their system.

So you mention Diaz, who is projected to play right field.  Why not just mention Santander who would be in Left?  You can see how it would be confusing when you mention a guy that plays CF/RF while talking about LF/1B/DH types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So you mention Diaz, who is projected to play right field.  Why not just mention Santander who would be in Left?  You can see how it would be confusing when you mention a guy that plays CF/RF while talking about LF/1B/DH types.

If you get confused the easily..........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was responding to this from Frobby.

And that is true because the O's have players and prospects in the 1B/LF position  including Mancini and Diaz who  is projected to take over RF in the next year and move Santander to LF.    

But if the O's did not have Mancini and Diaz/Santander there it might to smart to use high draft picks to get 1B/LFer.   It depend on what a team have in their the system.   

There is a 1B in the June draft the is highly rated and some team that needs him will be smart to draft him.

Yes its smart to  draft the best player available.  But when a team concentrates on positions, like Elias did with C/CF/SS,  that depend on what positions the team needs in their system.

I think Elias subscribes to best player available.   But, he has a philosophy on who the best players are.   
 

To be crystal clear, if Torkelson looks like the best hitter available at no. 2, I wouldn’t be hesitant to pick him.    So long as Elias is completely sold on his bat.   But, that’s 7+ months away.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wildcard said:

If you get confused the easily..........

It was pretty confusing.   But no point making a federal case of it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It was pretty confusing.   But no point making a federal case of it.  

You guys  are smart and very familiar with the O's system.  It should not have been that confusing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Teams draft a disproportional number of CF and SS because the best players on a particular team (therefor more likely to be drafted) are more likely to play those positions.  If you are in left field as a high school player odds are you aren't going to be a ML prospect down the road.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You guys  are smart and very familiar with the O's system.  It should not have been that confusing.

Don’t know why you’re prolonging this argument.   It’s confusing to mention a CF/RF when we are talking about who a prospective 1B/LF/DH might be competing with.    If you meant that Diaz might force Santander to LF, you should have said so.    But who cares, you’ve said it now, so I get it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Don’t know why you’re prolonging this argument.   It’s confusing to mention a CF/RF when we are talking about who a prospective 1B/LF/DH might be competing with.    If you meant that Diaz might force Santander to LF, you should have said so.    But who cares, you’ve said it now, so I get it.   

Yes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2019 at 1:26 PM, Can_of_corn said:

On the subject of grievances...

 

Corn, thanks for posting this.

After reading more about the Bryant grievance I tend to agree that the O's will wait a few weeks to a month into the 2020 season before calling up Mountcastle.  No reason to trigger a grievance like this.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melewski has a little puff piece up about Hays today that includes this gem:

“According to STATS, [on September 23] Hays became the first major league rookie to have five or more RBIs, a stolen base and an outfield assist in the same game since RBIs became an official statistic in 1920.“

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/in-september-burst-austin-hays-showed-a-strong-skill-set.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Melewski has a little puff piece up about Hays today that includes this gem:

“According to STATS, [on September 23] Hays became the first major league rookie to have five or more RBIs, a stolen base and an outfield assist in the same game since RBIs became an official statistic in 1920.“

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/in-september-burst-austin-hays-showed-a-strong-skill-set.html

Interesting.  If you told me to guess who the player to accomplish those three feats in a game was, I'd put forth guesses like Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Mike Trout, and Ken Griffey, Jr.  But then I realized that it is pretty much a fluke to have a game that includes all of those things for one player, so the odds are so low for every rookie outfielder that it is just as fluky no matter who does it.  Five RBI in a game is the rarest of these things, and there have only been so many games where a player has five RBI.  Now, eliminate all of the non-outfielders and you have a smaller group.  Now, eliminate all the non-rookies and we have a really small number of games.  Now, one would think that most five RBI games involve a guy having a power day involving HRs, 2Bs, and sac flies; and generally involve his team building a pretty good lead, so the stolen base wouldn't be involved very often, so we are down to a very small sample of games in the last hundred years where a rookie outfielder has five RBI and a stolen base.  Now, of those few remaining games, are there any where the guy happened to pick up an outfield assist?  Again, in most of these games one would guess that the player's team has a decent-sized lead, so the opposing team is less likely to be trying to stretch for extra bases all that often, so odds are that there just wouldn't be all that many chances for an outfield assist in these games.  Seems like the best type of game for this to happen would be a high scoring affair.  The Orioles lost this game 11-10.  All in all, it's a nice day for Hays, and one we aren't that likely to see duplicated by another rookie any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...