Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

What impact will Hays, Mountcastle and Stewart have in 2020?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Mountcastle played 26 games in LF and 84 at 1B. That might give us a hint as to where the organization expects him to play in the majors.

Mountcastle played 21 of his last 30 games in LF, despite the Tides having no true 1B on the team. Of the 9 games he played other positions, he DHed more than he played 1B. Generally DHing day games after night games and in the second game of doubleheaders. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I hope Davis is off team by 2020.

I think Davis will be given spring training and the first month of the season. Once Mountcastle passes the service time date Davis will be DFA’d. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

And that’s a shame. 

Maybe. There’s not a ton to be gained by cutting him and eating the contract at this point. I’m not going to go to the mat arguing they should hold onto him (not by any stretch), but I’m also of the mind that those arguing him still being on the roster is some grave failure of the org are getting spun up about something that doesn’t matter a great deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Maybe. There’s not a ton to be gained by cutting him and eating the contract at this point. I’m not going to go to the mat arguing they should hold onto him (not by any stretch), but I’m also of the mind that those arguing him still being on the roster is some grave failure of the org are getting spun up about something that doesn’t matter a great deal. 

Even less to gain by keeping him around.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like once Mountcastle is promoted (likely after the start of the season), we will have Mountcastle/Hays/Santander in the OF with Stewart and maybe Williams on the bench. Hopefully, that means Mancini and Nunez are the answers at 1B and DH with Davis either off the roster or stuck in the 26th spot with only an occasional AB. Maybe the Orioles carry Smith in Mountcastle's spot to start the season? If that's the case, the OF is starting to look respectable (if most guys can pan out), particularly with Diaz, Mullins and others waiting in the wings.

The issue remains the infield, I wish the team had some options there. I think the best the infield could look in 2020 is Ruiz, Villar and Alberto with Bannon eventually working his way into the picture. That's not all that exciting.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking for big contributions from Hays and Mountcastle.  At least with Mountcastle's bat.  I think Hays should be at an .825 OPS or so with good to great defense.  If all breaks well, he could be on the bubble for an All-Star nod.  

Stewart, not expecting much.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

 

The issue remains the infield, I wish the team had some options there. I think the best the infield could look in 2020 is Ruiz, Villar and Alberto with Bannon eventually working his way into the picture. That's not all that exciting.

Agreed. I still wonder why they don't try Mountcastle at 2B. If they are going to play him out of position, at least put him somewhere that helps the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Agreed. I still wonder why they don't try Mountcastle at 2B. If they are going to play him out of position, at least put him somewhere that helps the team.

Range and arm strength are important at 2B.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Range and arm strength are important at 2B.

I have every reason to believe he would not be a good 2B but they have no alternatives and his offense could make up for it. Why not try him there when we have nothing to lose? Was he that bad at SS in the minors?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

N

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I have every reason to believe he would not be a good 2B but they have no alternatives and his offense could make up for it. Why not try him there when we have nothing to lose? Was he that bad at SS in the minors?

No alternative?   Alberto and Wilkerson both play 2B.   Villar plays  2B if he is still with the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't believe Mountcastle will play a day in the minors in 2020.

I believe Mountcastle not being with the team on OD is all about service time.  I think it will become apparent, if it isn't already,  in ST that Mouncastlle is ready to hit in the majors.    He has to be assigned to the minors for 15 days to get a 7th year before he is eligible for FA..   That means he will not be called up until April 10th.    The Tides don't open up their season until April 9th.    I think instead of Mountcastle going from Florida to Norfolk  he will travel to Baltimore to get ready to play the Pirates at Camden Yards. on the April 10th.

I know Elias said Mountcastle will start the season in the minors to work on his plate discipline and fielding but he will work with the major league staff on that for 6 weeks in ST.    His bat will speak loud IMO and he will be with the O's on the April 10th.  Its not smart for Elias to talk about service time because of league rules.  But that does not mean he can't change his mind based on what he sees in ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't believe Mountcastle will play a day in the minors in 2020.

I believe Mountcastle not being with the team on OD is all about service time.  I think it will become apparent, if it isn't already,  in ST that Mouncastlle is ready to hit in the majors.    He has to be assigned to the minors for 15 days to get a 7th year before he is eligible for FA..   That means he will not be called up until April 10th.    The Tides don't open up their season until April 9th.    I think instead of Mountcastle going from Florida to Norfolk  he will travel to Baltimore to get ready to play the Pirates at Camden Yards. on the April 10th.

I know Elias said Mountcastle will start the season in the minors to work on his plate discipline and fielding but he will work with the major league staff on that for 6 weeks in ST.    His bat will speak loud IMO and he will be with the O's on the April 10th.

Doesn't he have to report to the team to which he's been assigned? Can he stay with the O's if he's not on the taxi squad? Can a minor league player be on the taxi squad for two weeks?

The union would have a fit if he stayed with the major league team without being promoted, and they might even win a grievance. Has any other major league team tried this stunt and gotten away with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mountcastle will start the year playing LF in Norfolk where he will most likely play a couple of weeks there. This will be because of service time and they can't just taxi him and start him exactly when they would get the extra year because they would give the union cause for a grievance. 

I don't know the exact date, but at some point you will see Mountcastle in an Orioles uniform in April and unless he pulls a Mullins over 4-6 weeks, he's going to be up here for good in 2020. 

I think they are going to give him every opportunity to show he can play LF effectively where he showed to be serviceable last year in AAA and where he has the most value.

By May the Orioles everyday outfield will be:

LF: Mountcastle
CF: Hays
RF: Santader

4th OF/DH will be Stewart with Wilkerson or Mason Williams taking the 5th outfielder/back up CF job. One thing of note, Santander can back up Hays in CF with Mancini, Stewart or Mountcastle moving to right. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm looking for big contributions from Hays and Mountcastle.  At least with Mountcastle's bat.  I think Hays should be at an .825 OPS or so with good to great defense.  If all breaks well, he could be on the bubble for an All-Star nod.  

Stewart, not expecting much.  

Those are pretty high expectations for Hays, at least in this early part of his career.   I’m a huge fan, but I’m not going to bite hook, line and sinker based on a nice run of 75 PA this year.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...