Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Luke’s 2020 draft sleepers

Gotta start this early this year because Fangraphs has really expanded their draft board and already has 558 names so my task of finding guys who I think will be top 10 round picks who aren’t ranked there, on D1baseball.com, or by Baseball America has gotten a lot more difficult. To refresh, if the player is drafted in the top 10 rounds, it’s a win for me, drafted after the 10th, it’s a draw, not drafted is a loss.

My picks for 2019 were...

Nate Fassnacht (picked in the 8th round) - WIN

Ben Anderson (picked in the 13th round) - DRAW

Nick Snyder (picked in the 11th round) - DRAW

Dante Biasi (picked in the 6th round) - WIN

Zac Kent (picked in the 9th round) - WIN

So I went 3-0-2, which will be hard to beat especially with a smaller pool to choose from now that Fangraphs has vastly expanded their early rankings.

Luke’s under the radar pick #1

Cole Percival - RHP - UC Riverside

Percival is the son of former MLB player Troy Percival and is a tall, strapping righty. 6’6” and broad shouldered, he looks the part of a workhorse starter. After winning the Big West freshman of the year in 2018, he missed the entire 2019 season. But now he’s back looking healthy, sitting 92-94 in a multi inning fall ball appearance. There is room for more velocity once the mechanics get smoothed out and he has the makings of an average curveball and changeup. Those could improve as he gets further removed from his long layoff. It’s a backend starter look if things come together.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Luke’s under the radar pick #1

Cole Percival - RHP - UC Riverside

Percival is the son of former MLB player Troy Percival and is a tall, strapping righty. 6’6” and broad shouldered, he looks the part of a workhorse starter. After winning the Big West freshman of the year in 2018, he missed the entire 2019 season. But now he’s back looking healthy, sitting 92-94 in a multi inning fall ball appearance. There is room for more velocity once the mechanics get smoothed out and he has the makings of an average curveball and changeup. Those could improve as he gets further removed from his long layoff. It’s a backend starter look if things come together.

This wasn't because of an arm injury, was it?

4 hours ago, panick said:

This wasn't because of an arm injury, was it?

It was an arm injury, but a non-throwing one, he fractured his elbow falling down some stairs. 

But even if it was a TJS or something, he’d still warrant being a big time sleeper prospect. 

BTW, after posting this I mentioned Percival in Kiley McDaniel’s Fangraphs chat and he immediately was added to the Board, although they got his school wrong.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It was an arm injury, but a non-throwing one, he fractured his elbow falling down some stairs. 

But even if it was a TJS or something, he’d still warrant being a big time sleeper prospect. 

BTW, after posting this I mentioned Percival in Kiley McDaniel’s Fangraphs chat and he immediately was added to the Board, although they got his school wrong.

So that’s a win for you already!

• Upvote 1