Jump to content
OrioleDog

Chris Davis salary dump matches

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Yeah, but how much of that also offsets how much money they are making when he has milestone events coming up.  

Also, I'm still not 100% on his age being legit either. 

Do you really think they make much money off Pujols’ milestone events?   And realistically, what’s out there?   Since joining the Angels he’s passed 500 and 600 homers, 3,000 hits and 2,000 RBI (the latter being a very underrated accomplishment IMO notwithstanding the context factors involved in RBI).    In theory he could reach 700 homers in the final season of his deal, though I’m not sure he’ll make it (he’s 44 away).     There’s really nothing else out there he’s chasing.    I guess it will be mentioned when he passes Willie Mays on the HR list, but that’s about all.    Nobody’s paying to see that.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They have no means to stop it.  Yes the money is guaranteed but if Davis were to agree to a buyout they would be powerless.

It's never been done before, and there's no reason to believe it's going to happen now.  Anyone believing that it will is just going to continue to frustrate themselves when it doesn't happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Do you really think they make much money off Pujols’ milestone events?   And realistically, what’s out there?   Since joining the Angels he’s passed 500 and 600 homers, 3,000 hits and 2,000 RBI (the latter being a very underrated accomplishment IMO notwithstanding the context factors involved in RBI).    In theory he could reach 700 homers in the final season of his deal, though I’m not sure he’ll make it (he’s 44 away).     There’s really nothing else out there he’s chasing.    I guess it will be mentioned when he passes Willie Mays on the HR list, but that’s about all.    Nobody’s paying to see that.   

The crowds that packed into their stadium for a chance to see it happen, and any sort of shirts, hats, etc they sell is money they are making.  Sure, it probably doesn't pay for the contract, but it's probably not a small amount either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ThomasTomasz said:

It's never been done before, and there's no reason to believe it's going to happen now.  Anyone believing that it will is just going to continue to frustrate themselves when it doesn't happen.  

Guys have retired and left money on the table.

I'm guessing in at least one of those cases the team gave them some of their contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Do you really think they make much money off Pujols’ milestone events?   And realistically, what’s out there?   Since joining the Angels he’s passed 500 and 600 homers, 3,000 hits and 2,000 RBI (the latter being a very underrated accomplishment IMO notwithstanding the context factors involved in RBI).    In theory he could reach 700 homers in the final season of his deal, though I’m not sure he’ll make it (he’s 44 away).     There’s really nothing else out there he’s chasing.    I guess it will be mentioned when he passes Willie Mays on the HR list, but that’s about all.    Nobody’s paying to see that.   

People definitely pay to see that. Not enough to offset his contract, obviously - but not insignificant.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, theocean said:

People definitely pay to see that. Not enough to offset his contract, obviously - but not insignificant.

I'm going to say that the bump would indeed be insignificant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to say that the bump would indeed be insignificant. 

I doubt there is any publicly-accessible data about the motivations of Angels fans visiting their stadium - but the Angels were 5th in attendance in 2019, while having a team that was out of any playoff contention for a large part of the year. They're doing something right - and its more than just Trout, who missed time with injury.

The media coverage when Pujols has hit his milestones has been significant, at the very least.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, theocean said:

I doubt there is any publicly-accessible data about the motivations of Angels fans visiting their stadium - but the Angels were 5th in attendance in 2019, while having a team that was out of any playoff contention for a large part of the year. They're doing something right - and its more than just Trout, who missed time with injury.

The media coverage when Pujols has hit his milestones has been significant, at the very least.

Ohtani.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Do you really think they make much money off Pujols’ milestone events?   And realistically, what’s out there?   Since joining the Angels he’s passed 500 and 600 homers, 3,000 hits and 2,000 RBI (the latter being a very underrated accomplishment IMO notwithstanding the context factors involved in RBI).    In theory he could reach 700 homers in the final season of his deal, though I’m not sure he’ll make it (he’s 44 away).     There’s really nothing else out there he’s chasing.    I guess it will be mentioned when he passes Willie Mays on the HR list, but that’s about all.    Nobody’s paying to see that.   

 

1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The crowds that packed into their stadium for a chance to see it happen, and any sort of shirts, hats, etc they sell is money they are making.  Sure, it probably doesn't pay for the contract, but it's probably not a small amount either. 

 

1 hour ago, theocean said:

People definitely pay to see that. Not enough to offset his contract, obviously - but not insignificant.

 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm going to say that the bump would indeed be insignificant. 

Pujols hit his 499th and 500th homers on the same day in Washington, before a crowd of 21,195, about 3,000 fewer fans than they had the night before (also vs. the Angels).   He hit his 600th homer in Anaheim before a Saturday night crowd of 40,236.   The next day, with the milestone already past, the Angels drew 39, 701.  In their prior Saturday home game they drew 40,251 and in their next Saturday home game they drew 41, 209.    Pujols got his 3000th hit in Seattle before a Saturday crowd of 36,977 about 3,000 less than they had the next day when the milestone had past.   He got his 2000th RBI in Detroit before a crowd of 16,404, about 3,000 more fans than the previous day and 2,000 more than the next day.

I guess people can quibble about what is "significant," but I'd call any attendance bump as a result of these event trivial, and as it happens, 3 of the 4 events took place on the road.   I doubt you could justify even $1 mm out of Pujols' $250 mm contract due to revenue resulting from these milestones.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, theocean said:

I doubt there is any publicly-accessible data about the motivations of Angels fans visiting their stadium - but the Angels were 5th in attendance in 2019, while having a team that was out of any playoff contention for a large part of the year. They're doing something right - and its more than just Trout, who missed time with injury.

The media coverage when Pujols has hit his milestones has been significant, at the very least.

 

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ohtani.

The Angels' attendance has been over 3 million every year since 2003, and actually was a couple hundred thousand higher per season during 2003-11 than it's been since Pujols arrived.  Since he got there, attendance has hovered between a low of 3.013 mm to a high of 3.096 mm, hardly any variation at all.   The high came in 2014 when they won the division title.  Bottom line, they play in a very populous area and the weather is nice almost every day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Pujols's negative impact on the Angels chance of playoff revenues in 2020 and beyond probably outweighs any prospective milestone bumps they could gain by keeping him an everyday guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The crowds that packed into their stadium for a chance to see it happen, and any sort of shirts, hats, etc they sell is money they are making.  Sure, it probably doesn't pay for the contract, but it's probably not a small amount either. 

I think you could round it off to zero.  Maybe a few folks bought tickets specifically for 3000 hits or 500 homers, but even then it's the equivalent of walk-up sales because you're never sure until a just prior.  With the homers it could be a week or two of waiting.  2000 RBI... did anyone even notice until they put it on the scoreboard afterwards?  I'm not sure Albert Pujols' mom went out of her way to see Albert become the, what... 6th person to get to 600 homers.

And if they made shirts for any of that most of them ended up in sub-Saharan Africa for 50 cents a shirt undermining the local textile industry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

The Angels' attendance has been over 3 million every year since 2003, and actually was a couple hundred thousand higher per season during 2003-11 than it's been since Pujols arrived.  Since he got there, attendance has hovered between a low of 3.013 mm to a high of 3.096 mm, hardly any variation at all.   The high came in 2014 when they won the division title.  Bottom line, they play in a very populous area and the weather is nice almost every day.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/ANA/

That tells me that LA should be near the top of the list of possible expansion locations.  Especially since going from San Clemente to Thousand Oaks in rush hour might take you three hours or more.  I think LA needs four teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That tells me that LA should be near the top of the list of possible expansion locations.  Especially since going from San Clemente to Thousand Oaks in rush hour might take you three hours or more.  I think LA needs four teams.

I was in SoCal a few weeks ago, and was returning from Joshua Tree National Park (100 miles east of LA) to the LA area on a Sunday afternoon.   There are traffic jams 50 miles from downtown LA, even on a Sunday, out that direction.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...