mdbdotcom

No Fanfest in 2020?

On 10/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, atomic said:

Maybe the people saying the team is moving are right.  Canceling fan fest is bizarre

They aren't moving. John Angelos address this already. 

On 10/19/2019 at 9:02 AM, Luke-OH said:

I doubt it's a 1 to 0 type of thing. I'm sure there will be something with a different name and format. Maybe something like this...

https://www.milb.com/round-rock/tickets/astros-futures-weekend

or like this

https://www.mlb.com/padres/tickets/specials/on-deck-game

The first Astros Futures games take place three and three and a half hours from downtown Houston. I don't see how this correlates to anything like Fanfest. The second is at Petco but have no signings. Maybe a game at Camden Yards  with free tickets and charge for autograph signings and pictures with future Orioles and some old Orioles and maybe even a player or two from the current Orioles. Maybe two games right before the season. Discussions at the Roof Deck Bar. Dugout Tours an hour or so after the games.I know John Vidalin ,who went back to Miami has some innovative ideas but the Orioles are not the most innovative team.promotion has always been bad with the Orioles over the years. They even had trouble getting players for the Orioles Annual Christmas Party. Players out in the community was also not good this year. A few signings in York Pa but nothing really like a few years back. This is based on not many players have been here awhile and players don't spend much time here. 

18 hours ago, weams said:

I think the point is how to get tickets sold like the good old days. The answer is that they are not pushing that. 

Nope,the Angelos family made a nice profit this year. About $240 million in revenue even before attendance. MASN is a separate entity from the Orioles so that profit is not shown in the Oriole books. With payroll basically slashed in half ,this year was one of the most profitable ever for the Angelos family,

6 hours ago, dmvsports410 said:

They aren't moving. John Angelos address this already. 

You wont convince him, no matter what you say, wasting your time there.

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

You wont convince him, no matter what you say, wasting your time there.

While I don't think the team is going to be moved, it isn't because John Angelos said so.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

While I don't think the team is going to be moved, it isn't because John Angelos said so.

True, but it should be a valid nail in the rumor coffin.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

True, but it should be a valid nail in the rumor coffin.

So should Tampa and Oakland still having teams.  😉

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So his word is worthless to you?

2 hours ago, weams said:

So his word is worthless to you?

Other teams owners have said that teams aren't moving only to then have the team move.

I don't think the Orioles are moving, but like CoC it isn't because of anything John Angelos says.  And that's not a knock on John Angelos.

28 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Other teams owners have said that teams aren't moving only to then have the team move.

I don't think the Orioles are moving, but like CoC it isn't because of anything John Angelos says.  And that's not a knock on John Angelos.

Hard to put much stock into what guys like Al Davis says.

There is a host of reasons for the team to say in Baltimore.

Just because there is a wild arse rumor floating that the team is looking into moving, doesnt make it true, or a probability, either.

On 10/19/2019 at 10:45 PM, Luke-OH said:

In a rebuilding offseason, it’d be cool to have a prospect showcase at Camden Yards, they could do some of the autograph stuff too and have some interactive player development demonstrations. Mostly I prefer it because it’s baseball vs not baseball. I also like the idea of getting average fans interested in the prospect pipeline.

That would be neat. But, first and foremost, I think the importance of FanFest is for kids. I hope they don't lose sight of that with whatever they decide to pivot to.

I really think that smaller-market teams like the Orioles really need to work to build and maintain their fanbase - it goes a little beyond just wins=tickets, at least in comparison to large markets.

During an era of some pretty bad and (I think to most fans) quite uninteresting teams - community events like FanFest are incredibly important in building the next generation of O's fans.

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

John Angelos seems like a nice guy, but yep. Money is money. It's a business. I don't trust anything a rich person says.