Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
wildcard

Aaron Brooks

Recommended Posts

Roch writes about Aaron Brooks as a reliever today.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/10/is-bullpen-best-for-brooks.html

I think whether Brooks is a starter or a reliever depends on two things.

1. Who Elias adds this off season to compete for a rotation spot.

2.  Whether Brooks wins the starter job in ST.

Elias/Hyde spend the last  3 months of 2019 stretching Brooks out to be a starters.    In his last 6 weeks he when 4-1 with a  3.62 ERA as  a starter.   Starters  that do well in the O's rotation are hard find.   I think he stays a starter until someone  beats him out for the spot.  I think Elias brings in at least three starter/long relievers from outside the organization to compete for the rotation  and long reliever spots this spring.

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brooks and Ynoa are useful stop gap, innings eaters, for this team until the prospects come up. Whether that’s starting or relieving. Not too many our pitchers last year flashed the ability to pitch in the MLB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Brooks and Ynoa are useful stop gap, innings eaters, for this team until the prospects come up. Whether that’s starting or relieving. Not too many our pitchers last year flashed the ability to pitch in the MLB. 

While I agree that Brooks and Ynoa are stop gap pitchers, I think Elias/Hyde sees them differently.    From the time he was acquired Brooks was stretched out to be a starter and he showed some improvement by seasons end.   Ynoa was used as an innings eater as he said.   He never really found any consistency or improvement IMO.

I think Brooks has earned a 40 man roster spot. I doubt Ynoa has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We threw a lot of pitchers up against the wall last year and not too many stuck. FWIW, Ynoa was 3rd behind Bundy and Means, in IP and ERA. Keep in mind Ynoa had missed the last 1.5 seasons basically.

I’m not sure if there is a limit on the amount of pitchers that you can have on the roster with the new 26 man roster. 13 or 14. Or if we’re going to use that extra spot for Davis. But I see,

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin

Locks for BP: Givens and Castro

Long Relievers/Swingmen: Brooks and Ynoa

The remaining spots will go to a cast of characters that I don’t know if they’ve stood out enough to justify losing Brooks or Ynoa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We threw a lot of pitchers up against the wall last year and not too many stuck. FWIW, Ynoa was 3rd behind Bundy and Means, in IP and ERA. Keep in mind Ynoa had missed the last 1.5 seasons basically.

I’m not sure if there is a limit on the amount of pitchers that you can have on the roster with the new 26 man roster. 13 or 14. Or if we’re going to use that extra spot for Davis. But I see,

Means, Bundy, Cobb, Wojo, Akin

Locks for BP: Givens and Castro

Long Relievers/Swingmen: Brooks and Ynoa

The remaining spots will go to a cast of characters that I don’t know if they’ve stood out enough to justify losing Brooks or Ynoa. 

I think Akin begins the season at AAA.   

You don't think Harvey is a lock in the pen if healthy?

I just don't agree on Ynoa at all.  He is part of the problem IMO.  But that is fine.  We all have an opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While I agree that Brooks and Ynoa are stop gap pitchers, I think Elias/Hyde sees them differently.    From the time he was acquired Brooks was stretched out to be a starter and he showed some improvement by seasons end.   Ynoa was used as an innings eater as he said.   He never really found any consistency or improvement IMO.

I think Brooks has earned a 40 man roster spot. I doubt Ynoa has.

I'll believe that Elias and Hyde think highly of Brooks when they say so.  He's almost 30, has a low strikeout rate, a 6.50 ERA, and a low-90s fastball.  Brooks' supposed improvement was in like 30 innings. That's enough for you, but not for most others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'll believe that Elias and Hyde think highly of Brooks when they say so.  He's almost 30, has a low strikeout rate, a 6.50 ERA, and a low-90s fastball.  Brooks' supposed improvement was in like 30 innings. That's enough for you, but not for most others.

I am not saying Brooks is anything special.  He is just one of the best 5 starters the O's have right now.   It should earn him a spot to compete for the rotation in ST.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah,  so many days between now and March, and so many ways with which to fill the time.

 Give everybody a chance. Some guys will suck less than others, and we will keep them around. And then one day, we will have some guys who do not suck at all, and’t Please God, let that day be soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am not saying Brooks is anything special.  He is just one of the best 5 starters the O's have right now.   It should earn him a spot to compete for the rotation in ST.

Would rather give a rotation spot to Akin/Kremer out of ST.  

If Brooks gets a rotation spot, he's most likely a placeholder for someone else, a prospect that they might not want to start the service clock on until whatever that special date is.  

Maybe they have found something they can tease out of him with analytics but I think he is what he is at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Would rather give a rotation spot to Akin/Kremer out of ST.  

If Brooks gets a rotation spot, he's most likely a placeholder for someone else, a prospect that they might not want to start the service clock on until whatever that special date is.  

Maybe they have found something they can tease out of him with analytics but I think he is what he is at this point.

If Akins has a good start of the season at AAA I can see in the rotation in May.

Kremer has not had success at AAA yet and he probably needs at least 3 months of good pitching there before he gets a promotion. 

I agree Brooks probably turns out to be a placeholder, maybe for Akin or Kremer.  And I think Elias brings at least 3 other minor leaguer or unproven starter this off season to compete for a rotation spot or a long reliever spots.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, wildcard said:

If Akins has a good start of the season at AAA I can see in the rotation in May.

Kremer has not had success at AAA yet and he probably needs at least 3 months of good pitching there before he gets a promotion. 

I agree Brooks probably turns out to be a placeholder, maybe for Akin or Kremer.  And I think Elias brings at least 3 other minor leaguer or unproven starter this off season to compete for a rotation spot or a long reliever spots.  

I am Frobby, and I approve this message.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, wildcard said:

If Akins has a good start of the season at AAA I can see in the rotation in May.

Kremer has not had success at AAA yet and he probably needs at least 3 months of good pitching there before he gets a promotion. 

I agree Brooks probably turns out to be a placeholder, maybe for Akin or Kremer.  And I think Elias brings at least 3 other minor leaguer or unproven starter this off season to compete for a rotation spot or a long reliever spots.  

I don’t really have a problem with Akin starting in AAA. He certainly has some things to work on. Another 10ish starts wouldn’t be the worst. 25 G and only 112.1 IP last year.  He needs to get deeper into games.

I’m also hoping the organization isn’t giving up on the idea of Harvey starting. He threw 80 IP last season. The natural progression for building innings would be 120-130 IP. Heck, Akin only threw 112 making 25 start in AAA last year. I have no problem letting Harvey try to start in AAA. I also have no problem with him being a reliever with us. Maybe mentally him making it to the MLB, overcoming all the injuries, and having success, makes it more palatable to go back to AAA and start. 

Edited by sportsfan8703
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...