Jump to content
Frobby

Jealous

Recommended Posts

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    
 

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   
 

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   
 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I vividly remember 1983 but I was only 8. As great as it was you can’t possibly appreciate it as much as you should. 

I am not jealous of winning a Game 7. I just want that feeling I had as a little boy. It would mean so much to so many people. I have been lucky to have seen two Ravens titles but the Orioles will always be my team, always. 

This is a great sport and the Orioles have a proud history. No reason history can’t repeat itself. 

And... no offense Frobby but when we get there and we will, I don’t want a 7 game series. My nerves could not take it.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m extremely jealous on a ton of levels.

 

one of the hardest things about the Nats arrival (and their success), is that most of my baseball friends have completely migrated to become Nats fans.  They’ve been dishing it out this post season... I sure wish the O’s were saddled-up with the Nats good fortunes!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

The number of World Series trophies hasn't changed.

And if you remove the wild card, you also increase the chance of the same teams--mainly big market teams-- winning repeatedly.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel happy for them because I do know there are people who are legitimate Nats fans who never felt the Orioles were their team in DC or Northern Va.  A lot of them are my extended family members who also give me a lot of grief for staying with the O's. But I know a lot of them like my older cousins and uncles also had no team in DC from 71-05 so they sort of were forced to adopt the O's out of necessity. But at the same time, I felt they never got why someone like me couldn't just switch to the Nats in 2005. But at the same time i do feel a little bitter and jealous because I've never seen an Orioles WS winner before or even a pennant. I'm 32 and have seen only three LCS's featuring our guys. I'm happy what Elias is doing with the franchise and I think we can be a top franchise again but it hurts a little because I've also seen first hand how fickle Nats fans can be. I don't begrudge them that. All fanbases are fickle but I'm sure there were many of them that were ready to throw in the towel after Game 5 and as someone who has stuck with the O's after more losing seasons than winning ones, that kind of ticks me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The number of World Series trophies hasn't changed.

And if you remove the wild card, you also increase the chance of the same teams--mainly big market teams-- winning repeatedly.

The magic of the baseball post season remains that anything can happen. One of my favorite non Orioles WS winners of all time is the 1960 Pirates. They were going up against the team of the 1950's in the Yankees and they got wiped out in 3 of those 7 games but they hung in and won four games and thus the WS when Maz hit that home run.  Plus the 2012 Orioles which started a short renaissance of competitive Orioles baseball was a WC team that gave the division winning Yankees all they had for five games. I don't know what would have happened in the 2012 ALCS had we advanced there but anything can happen in short series. Good as O's fans know from '66, bad as in '69, and ugly in '14 against the Royals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Palmoripken said:

I feel happy for them because I do know there are people who are legitimate Nats fans who never felt the Orioles were their team in DC or Northern Va.  A lot of them are my extended family members who also give me a lot of grief for staying with the O's. But I know a lot of them like my older cousins and uncles also had no team in DC from 71-05 so they sort of were forced to adopt the O's out of necessity. But at the same time, I felt they never got why someone like me couldn't just switch to the Nats in 2005. But at the same time i do feel a little bitter and jealous because I've never seen an Orioles WS winner before or even a pennant. I'm 32 and have seen only three LCS's featuring our guys. I'm happy what Elias is doing with the franchise and I think we can be a top franchise again but it hurts a little because I've also seen first hand how fickle Nats fans can be. I don't begrudge them that. All fanbases are fickle but I'm sure there were many of them that were ready to throw in the towel after Game 5 and as someone who has stuck with the O's after more losing seasons than winning ones, that kind of ticks me.

And for those fans who never felt that they had a team in Baltimore, or the fans who started rooting for them because of their proximity to DC since day one, I don't fault them at all.  

However, there is a large portion of their fan base that I feel hates the Orioles more than they like the Nats.  I go to quite a few Nationals games- all of the bobblehead ones, as well as at least one of the Orioles series games in DC.  I usually post up in the outfield.  You hear muffled "O's!" for the national anthem, and the same guys who are season ticket holders make the same comments that it's "DC not Baltimore" and they make sarcastic comments about the Orioles score when it's on the screen.  

Then, you've got the guys who think it's a business meeting and not a baseball game.  My Orioles season tickets are in section 56, and I've gotten to know Marc (the lemonade shaking guy) over the years.  I've sat in his section at Nationals Park before, and he subdues his schtick (or cuts it entirely) based on the fans there.  He's had constant complaints that he's "too loud" or "distracting."  And if you've ever sat in sections 54-60, you know Marc is anything but.  Everyone who I've taken with me loves to see him.  

On some of the games I went to this past season, 35,000-plus showing up for a bobblehead game, their crowd noise during most of the game was about the same as our 14-18,000 that we would draw for a fireworks night.  

It's just a really weird fanbase if I'm being honest.  If you've ever been to a Capitals game, the stadium is rocking and nothing at all like going to a Nats game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

And for those fans who never felt that they had a team in Baltimore, or the fans who started rooting for them because of their proximity to DC since day one, I don't fault them at all.  

However, there is a large portion of their fan base that I feel hates the Orioles more than they like the Nats.  I go to quite a few Nationals games- all of the bobblehead ones, as well as at least one of the Orioles series games in DC.  I usually post up in the outfield.  You hear muffled "O's!" for the national anthem, and the same guys who are season ticket holders make the same comments that it's "DC not Baltimore" and they make sarcastic comments about the Orioles score when it's on the screen.  

Then, you've got the guys who think it's a business meeting and not a baseball game.  My Orioles season tickets are in section 56, and I've gotten to know Marc (the lemonade shaking guy) over the years.  I've sat in his section at Nationals Park before, and he subdues his schtick (or cuts it entirely) based on the fans there.  He's had constant complaints that he's "too loud" or "distracting."  And if you've ever sat in sections 54-60, you know Marc is anything but.  Everyone who I've taken with me loves to see him.  

On some of the games I went to this past season, 35,000-plus showing up for a bobblehead game, their crowd noise during most of the game was about the same as our 14-18,000 that we would draw for a fireworks night.  

It's just a really weird fanbase if I'm being honest.  If you've ever been to a Capitals game, the stadium is rocking and nothing at all like going to a Nats game.  

 

I think you get at what I'm feeling. I totally get people who did what you talk about the beginning but there are definitely people who have this animosity towards the O's and our fans. I told my Uncle when he was ribbing me one day that I felt like he was treating me like I was a Yankees fan. I pointed out to him that for me unlike him that baseball in DC was long gone by the time I was born. Plus I really got tired of the Washington Post sports section always needing to make digs at the O's. Tom Boswell is a great sportswriter and I won't insult him by saying he's not good at that but he always had to make digs at the O's when our two teams' fortunes were rising at the same time. It didn't help that I never liked Bryce Harper and Nats fans wanted to act like he was the greatest ever and now they're acting like they never liked him. You are right though. It's a completely different atmosphere even when there are more people at Nats Park than Camden Yards. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Nationals cut a huge chunk into the Orioles fan base, have much better ownership, a much higher budget, and now a world series championship. It's hard not to be disappointed. 

Very parallel to the Ravens coming into the area and becoming a successful franchise quickly while the once top tier team (Redskins) struggles under terrible leadership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not jealous one bit.  When you win 47 games one year and 54 games the next and with the team making no effort to get better it is hard to care about being jealous of a World Series champion.  I would be ecstatic with a 82 win season at this point, 

I am glad the Nationals won.  Sick of hearing about the Astros.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

If everyone got a trophy the Orioles would have a trophy this year along with the Tigers and there wouldn’t even be playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, orpheus100 said:

They did it the cheap, everyone deserves a trophy way by winning the stupid wild card game to even get into the playoffs.

At least the Orioles were in first place in large divisions winning their titles.

The wild card sucks but that stupid game needs to be trashed ASAP

The Nats would ha e gone straight to the Dodgers series without the wild card game.  Unless you are talking about going back to two divisions per league?

Did you not tune in to Orioles postseason in 2012 and 2016 because they were the second wild card and didn’t deserve to be in the playoffs?

Edited by GuidoSarducci

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

And for those fans who never felt that they had a team in Baltimore, or the fans who started rooting for them because of their proximity to DC since day one, I don't fault them at all.  

However, there is a large portion of their fan base that I feel hates the Orioles more than they like the Nats.  I go to quite a few Nationals games- all of the bobblehead ones, as well as at least one of the Orioles series games in DC.  I usually post up in the outfield.  You hear muffled "O's!" for the national anthem, and the same guys who are season ticket holders make the same comments that it's "DC not Baltimore" and they make sarcastic comments about the Orioles score when it's on the screen.  

Then, you've got the guys who think it's a business meeting and not a baseball game.  My Orioles season tickets are in section 56, and I've gotten to know Marc (the lemonade shaking guy) over the years.  I've sat in his section at Nationals Park before, and he subdues his schtick (or cuts it entirely) based on the fans there.  He's had constant complaints that he's "too loud" or "distracting."  And if you've ever sat in sections 54-60, you know Marc is anything but.  Everyone who I've taken with me loves to see him.  

On some of the games I went to this past season, 35,000-plus showing up for a bobblehead game, their crowd noise during most of the game was about the same as our 14-18,000 that we would draw for a fireworks night.  

It's just a really weird fanbase if I'm being honest.  If you've ever been to a Capitals game, the stadium is rocking and nothing at all like going to a Nats game.  

I’ve kind of heard this talk in general. Not surprised to hear this. 

I’m curious how they play next year. Couple of important FA’s, Rendon/Stras. Sometimes when pitchers are used like they were in the postseason they don’t bounce back the next year. Their big 4 rotation will all be 30 and up. 

The core of their team is Soto, Turner and Robles. Soto is a beast. Obviously if Rendon stays that is huge. Rest of team is aging. They need a Kieboom to hit in order to sustain their success.  

I bring all that up in reference to their fan base. Obviously with the Orioles even if this plan pans out, will not be good the next couple of years. Had the Nats broke through say in 2014 it may of not had the same impact with fans. It’s bad timing for the Orioles this moment.

Maybe by the time we are ready to win the Nats will be slipping. Things can change over a couple of years. As good as Rizzo is he has a ton of work to sustain it. 5/8 playoffs and now a title is a great run. I do see some 83 Orioles similarities. Aging in spots and not a good system. They will continue to need the next couple of years for their stars to carry them like they did in the playoffs. 

3 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

The Nationals cut a huge chunk into the Orioles fan base, have much better ownership, a much higher budget, and now a world series championship. It's hard not to be disappointed. 

Very parallel to the Ravens coming into the area and becoming a successful franchise quickly while the once top tier team (Redskins) struggles under terrible leadership.

It is a good parallel. Established, once proud fanbases and the new teams are the superior franchises. 

The one thing is I feel very good about our team all being on the same page. Ownership/FO working well together. The Redskins are still a huge mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, atomic said:

Not jealous one bit.  When you win 47 games one year and 54 games the next and with the team making no effort to get better it is hard to care about being jealous of a World Series champion.  I would be ecstatic with a 82 win season at this point, 

I am glad the Nationals won.  Sick of hearing about the Astros.  

Nats don’t draft Strasburg and Rendon if they win 82 games those years. That stretch of Nats baseball seems to be conveniently forgotten by some.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ve been fortunate to see the Orioles win three World Series, and even though it’s been 36 years, I still take great pride and solace in those wins.    
 

But one thing the O’s haven’t ever done is win a World Series or a playoff series that came down to a rubber game.   They lost two WS Game 7’s to the Pirates,  and Game 5 of two five-game playoff series to the A’s and the Yankees.     All the postseason series they ever won never got down to a nailbiter situation.    Not that I didn’t enjoy those wins, but there’s just something about winning with everything on the line in one game that is sort of the ultimate satisfaction.   
 

I’m pretty jealous of the Nats fans tonight.    I’ve never felt quite what they’re feeling as an Orioles fan.   
 

 

I'm not jealous at all.  The Nats are some other team that isn't the Orioles.  That team wins the World Series pretty much every year.

I'm sure I'll be slightly annoyed now that there are 75,000 times as many Nats "fans" as there were two weeks ago.  But that will pass.

  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   0 Members, 1 Anonymous, 107 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • The latest mock from Jonathan Mayo... https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft-june-3?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage    
    • I'll be back because...well, I love baseball.  I love the Orioles.  I really can't imagine MLB being played and not paying attention on some dumb principle that I have against the players and the owners because they're both spoiled assholes.  You can't get mad at water for being wet.   That said... God #@$%ING DAMMIT.  @#%& every last one of them.  MLB just...never gets it right.  The most painful thing in all of this is that they had a chance to lead.  They had a chance to be the first pro sports league to get it together this summer, to come up with a plan to get back to playing and be the first ones on stage Nascar doesn't count, you can't prove me wrong with NO OTHER COMPETITION.  MLB, the sport with the oldest, fart-knockingist fanbase.  MLB, the sport that always seems to lag behind other sports in...just about everything.  MLB, the sport with the dumbest marketing where they try SO HARD TO BE COOL AND RELEVANT.  They had such a prime opportunity to be front stage and center.  No NBA, no NFL and no NHL.  They had an opportunity to be leaders, to show the other leagues how it's done and the opportunity for starved sports fan to see what a great game it can be.  THEY HAD A CHANCE TO HAVE A COMPLETELY CAPTIVE AUDIENCE. And they blew it.   The NBA made it back first, which is not surprising.  In the NBA, you get players that make a metric $%#*ton of money and are also hyper aware and concerned with defining their legacy.  LeBron James is chomping at the bit to get back on the court because he knows this might be the best/last time he can contend for a title and if he wins it, it'd add to his legacy.  You get a guy like Giannis who is obsessed with knocking him off.  Meanwhile, in the MLB you get guys like Snell and Harper who are sitting around bitching about money.  You get the feeling that if someone told Harper this year he would bat .400 but would have to play for free to do it, he wouldn't think twice about sitting out instead of doing something that hasn't been done since 1941 and might not ever happen again.  If someone told Snell he could break Bob Gibson's ERA record for a season or strike out 384 batters this year but not make any money doing so, he'd flip you the bird and sit around and play video games.  World Series?  Forget it, they would just view it as extra work.  I think LeBron would play for free the rest of this summer if he thought he had a chance at another title. I'm not sure where the NHL is in regards to restarting their season because it's...the NHL.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they got their act together and figured out a way to finish, it certainly looks like they're trying harder. And you know the NFL is going to play come hell or high water.  The NFL will not miss a week.  They will start on time.  Because they all know there's too much on the line and that by the end of this summer that people will look to their league as something that can bring people together and help them heal.  People will go ballistic if the NFL start date gets pushed back or if games are missed.  But baseball not happening is seemingly being met with apathy from the general sports fanbase.   @#$% you, MLB.  I'm not saying @#$% you forever, but for right now in this very moment, @#$% you.  @#$% you for being so far behind in everything.  @#$% you for being the last sport to make a statement on George Floyd, only doing so because people noticed you didn't and they called you out on it.  @#$% you players, @#$% you owners, @#$% you all.  @#$% you for not seizing a golden opportunity when you had one because you can't see past your stupid @#$%ing paychecks and your dumbass collective bargaining agreement.  @#$% you for not being able to put your differences aside to be able to play in a time where your fellow countrymen would love nothing more than to watch a game and forget about a pandemic and civil unrest.  @#$% you for not being there when we actually needed you.
    • This came up on my suggestions. Pretty good cover by some youngsters.  
    • Scores high as being personable and well spoken!   Was also interesting during the “Texas History Quiz”, when he and Millar were asked to name one of the seven Texas born Hall of Famers,  he quickly answered “ Nolan Ryan” (natch) but when neither he nor Millar came up with a second quickly, Chris Rose read the rest.   Frank Robinson was one of them, to which Lacy commented  “ I did not realize Frank Robinson was born in Texas”. (Almost like .... how did I miss that when studying up on the Orioles.... 🤔!)
    • This brings up a definitional question... is a five tool guy someone who is outstanding in each area or someone who is average-or-better (at MLB level). The latter may be more how it’s used for prospect evaluation, whereas the former is more from a historical look-back. 
    • Yes, but I would hardly call it a stadium. I can't believe that pro players played there. Its small for legion ball.
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...