Greg Pappas

Lamar Jackson is in the MVP discussion

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001073380/article/ravens-lamar-jackson-makes-his-case-for-mvp

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2019/11/04/lamar-jackson-mvp-ravens-winpatriots/4153695002/

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2019/11/04/lamar-jackson-bill-belichick-mvp

It feels so good to have a young stud at QB! It's still very early in Lamar's career, but he sure looks special to me.  The young man is just 22-years old!  I get that doubters/haters had reservations/concerns after he was drafted and showed some issues early on, but it's time to admit that he has a dynamic skill-set and could be among the best QB's in the league very soon, if not already. Lamar has started 15 games and won 12 of them... and while that's not a definitive indication of his future value, this MVP talk is certainly an indication of his strides thus far.

• Upvote 1

It's deserved.  IF the definition of MVP is similar to how MLB used to define it, as in most valuable to a team's performance, then absolutely Lamar is in the discussion.   I'm still keeping my overall team expectations low, or at least even-keel, but the ride so far has been fun.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

It's deserved.  IF the definition of MVP is similar to how MLB used to define it, as in most valuable to a team's performance, then absolutely Lamar is in the discussion.   I'm still keeping my overall team expectations low, or at least even-keel, but the ride so far has been fun.

Yup... the ride has been fun.  Every game with Lamar at QB is fun/interesting to watch. 

I'm not a Lamar hater, but I'm not sold on him still either.  His feet and the dual threat have certainly helped him.  His throwing still leaves me holding my breath and when he runs into defenders twice his size(sorry, not buying his weight and size) I can't help but think oh god, RGIII squared.  I agree every game is fun to watch with him though.  A few plays he escaped what I thought were sure tackles for losses.  He just needs to get more mechanically sound in throwing.  Not sure he belongs in an MVP/All-Pro category, but he certainly has shown value to the team with his playmaking and leadership as they are certainly behind him.  I do think he is being overhyped nationally though, as I don't see him in the category of Mahomes.  

1 minute ago, jarman86 said:

I'm not a Lamar hater, but I'm not sold on him still either.  His feet and the dual threat have certainly helped him.  His throwing still leaves me holding my breath and when he runs into defenders twice his size(sorry, not buying his weight and size) I can't help but think oh god, RGIII squared.  I agree every game is fun to watch with him though.  A few plays he escaped what I thought were sure tackles for losses.  He just needs to get more mechanically sound in throwing.  Not sure he belongs in an MVP/All-Pro category, but he certainly has shown value to the team with his playmaking and leadership as they are certainly behind him.  I do think he is being overhyped nationally though, as I don't see him in the category of Mahomes.  

I get your views here. His passing has been okay, but I agree we need to see his continued improvement there.  I am very pleased to see what he's done thus far and expect he'll get better and better as his career unfolds. If that happens, wow...

I'm all in on Lamar. He's such a fun player to watch because you just never know what he's going to do next. While he's a not a great thrower yet, he's effective enough to keep defenses honest and the best news is he protects the ball well and doesn't make down throws which end up as turnovers.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

he protects the ball well and doesn't make down throws which end up as turnovers.

He has had his fair share of fumbles and I hate how he runs holding the ball with his hand and not tucked away.  But agreed, he is fun to watch. 

So I was going to start a thread but this fits here.

Lamar Jackson after his first 16 starts (includes playoff loss) 12-4 record:

3121 pass yards, 19 TDs, 9 Ints.

1247 rushing yards, 9 TDs

To put those in perspective vs. 2018 full season stats.  He would have ranked 21st in passing.  

Only Roesthlisberger, Mahomes, Ryan, Luck, Rodgers, Watson, Brady and Cousins would have ranked ahead in total yards (pass+rush) with the latter two being basically equivalent.

Only Zeke Elliot, Barkley and Gurley (by 4 yards) have more rushing yards.

Unconventional and impressive for a first 16 starts.  I would imagine after next week we will see the first 16 regular season start articles.  And his pace is certainly getting better.  This past week Lamar passed his 2018 rushing total.

• Upvote 1

Yeah he is a completely different player (as a passer) in 2019 vs 2018.  Not even close.  Also wrt ball security, he was fumbling like once or twice a game last year......that seems to have been fixed this year too.   Really excited to see where he can take us this year and beyond.   We can worry about the contract extension..........later.

It is nice to have a guy who other teams have to sweat. Flacco was decent as long as he didn't get exposed by throwing too much. But I always had it in the back of my head. That other teams thought as long as they played within themselves they could beat the Flacco lead Ravens. Jackson seems like an x factor other teams can't account for to me.

Again, I like the kid, I just can't for the life of me get on this train of MVP.  I'm hearing he did fantastic against the number one defense in the league, which yes he was 17/23, but only 170 yards passing and 61 rushing yards on 16 attempts.  And the number one defense is overrated because they are the pats(their first 8 games were joke teams for the most part).  He makes plays, but he also makes terrible ones when under pressure(why he continues to throw sidearm is beyond me.  I don't think he's made a single completion that way(at least it doesn't feel like it), but he does it when he's pressured.)  This year has been strides above what he was last year and that gives me hope, but when I hear a stadium screaming MVP, I just don't see what I'm missing.  

Edited by jarman86

There have been numerous sidearm completions. He’s not a stud passer, he doesn’t fit the typical mold of what an MVP QB looks like, I get all that. 

But MVPs sustain long drives to ice the game. MVPs get that first down you had no business getting. MVPs lead. MVPs win games. 

Pats are a great feather in his cap, and and if this continues against Houston or the Niners, I’m fully on board the MVP train. 

I reckon.  Maybe I need to start being more open minded, and maybe that he isn't traditional QB or that most people of his skill set fail or get broken in the NFL has me on edge, but I just haven't been able to bite into MVP talk.  The other thing is we really haven't played anybody.  Patriots were our only opponent worth anything, and more than half their games have come against their own division and ours which are both trash.  Seahawks seemed more like a defensive performance to me.  *Which it was, we had one offensive TD.  Jackson threw 9/20, and while had over 100yds rushing, fumbled twice.  

Edited by jarman86
Looked at Seahawks/Ravens box score

On 11/4/2019 at 1:15 PM, jarman86 said:

He has had his fair share of fumbles and I hate how he runs holding the ball with his hand and not tucked away.  But agreed, he is fun to watch. 

He has 4 fumbles, pretty much in line with most QBs this season, and none of them were lost.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, jarman86 said:

I reckon.  Maybe I need to start being more open minded, and maybe that he isn't traditional QB or that most people of his skill set fail or get broken in the NFL has me on edge, but I just haven't been able to bite into MVP talk.  The other thing is we really haven't played anybody.  Patriots were our only opponent worth anything, and more than half their games have come against their own division and ours which are both trash.  Seahawks seemed more like a defensive performance to me.  *Which it was, we had one offensive TD.  Jackson threw 9/20, and while had over 100yds rushing, fumbled twice.  

We've played against 4 teams that are .500 or better and won 3/4.

We've played against the teams ranked 2, 5, and 6 in the ESPN NFL power rankings.  (We are 4th).

Seems to me like you're looking for reasons to doubt them.   Which is fine, I just don't see why.  Everyone's approach to fandom is different.  We're not gonna win every game.  We're not gonna like super pretty every game.   And for the record,  neither will ANY OTHER TEAM in the league.

If you want to focus the fumbles over the 100+ rushing yards, go for it.  

At the end of the day Lamar is #5 in the whole league in QBR.........that's pretty darn good.   And even if he doesn't win MVP that puts him certainly in the conversation, which to fans of this team.............should make them absolutely ecstatic considering our history at that position.

• Upvote 1