Jump to content
Tony-OH

2019 #2 Prospect: Grayson Rodriguez - RHP

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

Good writeup. Am I being unfair/impatient/short-sighted/stupid to be disappointed that our #2 overall prospect has a mid-rotation projection? Is he just too young to tell? I assume that a strong 2020 could change his outlook. And I'm not disappointed by Rodriguez, but if our #2 has a mid rotation projection, what does the rest of our top 10 look like? 

Very few pitchers reasonably project higher than mid-rotation.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sanfran327 said:

Good writeup. Am I being unfair/impatient/short-sighted/stupid to be disappointed that our #2 overall prospect has a mid-rotation projection? Is he just too young to tell? I assume that a strong 2020 could change his outlook. And I'm not disappointed by Rodriguez, but if our #2 has a mid rotation projection, what does the rest of our top 10 look like? 

It's hard to give a guy a TOR projection until we see him at high age holding his stuff into 90-100 pitches. When and if he checks that off, a mid-rotation "most likely" is a safer bet. His ceiling is a TOR though.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's hard to give a guy a TOR projection until we see him at high age holding his stuff into 90-100 pitches. When and if he checks that off, a mid-rotation "most likely" is a safer bet. His ceiling is a TOR though.

Yeah. It's hard to imagine limiting his ceiling. He's 19, right? We know he's a big, physical, extremely talented kid. He could mature into a beast in ways that even the most seasoned evaluator could never predict. MOR is just a logical place to project him or just about anyone who's really talented at this stage of development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my opinion, Hall is the better prospect,  G Rod fastball is too straight, he need to develop more movement,  Hall fastball has movement and will play better against MLB hitters. Hence, the different in control of both, much easier to control a straight fastball then one with a lot of movement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melewski interviewed another team’s scout, who explained why he prefers Rodriguez over Hall:

“I like Rodriguez better. I thought he was spectacular and I had him with a plus fastball, slider and curveball. I thought all three pitches are not necessarily 100 percent now pitches, but he can really spin a breaking ball with power, and his slider had some real tilt to it. I’ve seen him throwing 94 to 97 with both breaking balls working.

“He has good physicality. He may not be quite as athletic - like DL Hall is a grade better as an athlete. But Rodriguez may not have twitchy kind of athleticism but he really has that body control and sense of what he is doing right and what he is not doing right. Very impressed for his age on adjustments he made, like adjustments on his delivery, on the umpire and strike zone and to the hitters. Inning-to-inning, he was able to tweak things. I was very impressed and like him more at this stage than Hall.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/part-two-a-scouts-take-on-os-prospects.html

I’ll post the Hall comments in the Hall thread.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Melewski interviewed another team’s scout, who explained why he prefers Rodriguez over Hall:

“I like Rodriguez better. I thought he was spectacular and I had him with a plus fastball, slider and curveball. I thought all three pitches are not necessarily 100 percent now pitches, but he can really spin a breaking ball with power, and his slider had some real tilt to it. I’ve seen him throwing 94 to 97 with both breaking balls working.

“He has good physicality. He may not be quite as athletic - like DL Hall is a grade better as an athlete. But Rodriguez may not have twitchy kind of athleticism but he really has that body control and sense of what he is doing right and what he is not doing right. Very impressed for his age on adjustments he made, like adjustments on his delivery, on the umpire and strike zone and to the hitters. Inning-to-inning, he was able to tweak things. I was very impressed and like him more at this stage than Hall.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/12/part-two-a-scouts-take-on-os-prospects.html

I’ll post the Hall comments in the Hall thread.   

Just surprised he didn't talk about his change up which was his best off speed pitch at times last year.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Glad to see the positive comments.  If Gray Rod and Hall can deliver we'll have a nice 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Snowmachine incident. AC joint displacement with torn labrum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Shotgun injury when falling from tree stand. Two missing fingers on throwing hand. Broken pelvis.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Social media history expose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Glad to see the positive comments.  If Gray Rod and Hall can deliver we'll have a nice 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

Same.  *exhales in relief*

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Seeing a thread like this get bumped at this time of the year makes me nervous.  Like he's going to need TJ surgery after an offseason throwing session or something.

Glad to see the positive comments.  If Gray Rod and Hall can deliver we'll have a nice 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation.

I thought about just posting it in the minor league forum, but decided to put it here where everyone would see it, especially since it’s such a glowing review.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, weams said:

Shotgun injury when falling from tree stand. Two missing fingers on throwing hand. Broken pelvis.

We’ll call him “Mordecai.” It’s better than “Grayrod” anyway. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we were the Marlins and he was Jose Fernandez, he'd be 3rd in the Cy Young race this year.  Let's see how Carolina League hitters do.  Eager to see which breaking ball he'll feature next season.

(I don't think he is Jose Fernandez good, but one must dream on HS pitchers before they break.  Fernandez did get a midseason promotion and 11 Florida State League starts the year he went nuts in A-ball before going right to The Show).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...