Sign in to follow this  
Redskins Rick

Society these days

19 minutes ago, atomic said:

LOL.  We aren’t rounding people up in putting people in concentration camps,  people aren’t slaves, no one is starving to death,  diseases are mostly under control, children aren’t being forced to work.  Segregation is gone,  people aren’t being shot for joining unions.  

The highest murder rate in this country was during prohibition.  There is no civil war.  We have no draft where 18 year olds are forced to be in armed combat. 

While there is certainly a lot of things that can use improvement a decline means things used to be better.  Which clearly they’re not. 

Opinions vary. I think the world's going in a pretty crappy direction. In a LOT of ways.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Opinions vary. I think the world's going in a pretty crappy direction. In a LOT of ways.

In general people have never had it better.  Stalin killed 60 million of his own citizens.  Mao 80 million. I am not sure what World era of history you think is better. 

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

In general people have never had it better.  Stalin killed 60 million of his own citizens.  Mao 80 million. I am not sure what World era of history you think is better. 

Whatever. I am WAY not in the mood to argue this. As I said...

IMHO

ymmv

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, scOtt said:

IMHO

ymmv

Well I gave  you facts.  You have no facts why society is worse.  

Let’s see the 1960s. President assinated. Domestic terrorism. MLK riots.  Segregation. Millions drafted into deadly war against their will which the upper class didn’t have to serve.  Riots everywhere.  No gay rights or women’s rights.  Yeah society was just doing great.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:16 AM, scOtt said:

IMHO

ymmv

Please dont feed the trolls, ignore them.

Some crimes are down, some are on the rise.

I think for some of us that been alive for 6 decades, society has spiral downwards, even in small rural towns.

Common courtesy is not the norm.

Entitlement chip on your shoulder is worn by more these days. FU and get out of my way, because Im more important is beyond stupid.

Not to mention all the hate in social media is staggering.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Please dont feed the trolls, ignore them.

Some crimes are down, some are on the rise.

I think for some of us that been alive for 6 decades, society has spiral downwards, even in small rural towns.

Common courtesy is not the norm.

Entitlement chip on your shoulder is worn by more these days. FU and get out of my way, because Im more important is beyond stupid.

Not to mention all the hate in social media is staggering.

Sure folks said yes sir more often but you also had huge segments of the population that were treated like excrement.  I'm not as old as you but I can imagine the looks and comments if a mixed race or LGBT couple were walking around in the grocery store in the late 70's.

As for the I'm more important bit...remember what the Boomers used to be called?  The Me Generation.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure folks said yes sir more often but you also had huge segments of the population that were treated like excrement.  I'm not as old as you but I can imagine the looks and comments if a mixed race or LGBT couple were walking around in the grocery store in the late 70's.

As for the I'm more important bit...remember what the Boomers used to be called?  The Me Generation.

In my ERA, me and you had a issue come up, they would settle it with their fists, and then go have a beer.

Now a days, you look at somebody wrong, they pull out a gun and put a couple of slugs in you.

I saw in the news yesterday, where a teenager got mad at a senior and dosed him and set him on fire.

You are right, in some aspects, the world is better, blacks do not have to sit in the back of the bus.

Not sure about LGBT walking doesnt cause problems. Remember North Carolina last year, and the young male that hated those and drove his car into the crowd?

Up here, there has been a couple of transgender beaten up, because of their gender issues.

I guess I am on the older side of the boomers. I also remember Woodstock and the free love period, the beatniks and hippys.

Drivers would see a turn signal and back off some, now its a cue to speed up and keep them over there.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:53 AM, Can_of_corn said:

Definitely some good points here.   People who are minorities generally have more places they can go where they are accepted.      Not everywhere, by any stretch of the imagination.    

I do worry a great deal about the entitlement culture.    God forbid that a politician say that we need to sacrifice something now in order to reap a benefit (or avoid a catastrophe) in the future.   

On 2/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, Frobby said:

Definitely some good points here.   People who are minorities generally have more places they can go where they are accepted.      Not everywhere, by any stretch of the imagination.    

I do worry a great deal about the entitlement culture.    God forbid that a politician say that we need to sacrifice something now in order to reap a benefit (or avoid a catastrophe) in the future.   

Road rage on the highways is rampant.

Yes, we had road rage back in my days, but it wasnt the norm.

You see way too many anger issues these days in real life, and that has nothing to do with social media anger/hate.

Look at how customers treat cashiers/wait staff, and vice versa for that matter.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, Frobby said:

I was reading the article in the Washington Post yesterday that really stuck the entitlement issue. 

So some girl was at her middle school dance and some guy she didn't like ask her to dance and the Principal told the girls they couldn't say no to boys when they asked them to dance.  The Mother sent some choice comments to the principal.

This sense of entitlement has gone crazy. No you don't get to dance with the pretty girl just because you want to.  I mean who comes up with this nonsense. And this was slow dancing as well.  Rejection is good for you. It tells you work on yourself and improve yourself.  Dress better, exercise, improve your social skills etc.  It is a valuable life lesson to get rejected.  

3 hours ago, atomic said:

I was reading the article in the Washington Post yesterday that really stuck the entitlement issue. 

So some girl was at her middle school dance and some guy she didn't like ask her to dance and the Principal told the girls they couldn't say no to boys when they asked them to dance.  The Mother sent some choice comments to the principal.

This sense of entitlement has gone crazy. No you don't get to dance with the pretty girl just because you want to.  I mean who comes up with this nonsense. And this was slow dancing as well.  Rejection is good for you. It tells you work on yourself and improve yourself.  Dress better, exercise, improve your social skills etc.  It is a valuable life lesson to get rejected.  

girls-are-simple-with-them-yes-means-yes

24 year old gets shot and killed in my town by 52 year old neighbor.  Long standing feud about loud music and dog poop.  52 year old is an ex cop who killed two other people on duty about 20 years ago.  

Taking a life because of music and dog poop.

23 hours ago, backwardsk said:

24 year old gets shot and killed in my town by 52 year old neighbor.  Long standing feud about loud music and dog poop.  52 year old is an ex cop who killed two other people on duty about 20 years ago.  

One can only take so much of either.  There is no courtesy left in this world.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:42 PM, backwardsk said:

it happens way too often.

Thugs robbed a popular North Carolina BBQ place, got the money and then killed the guy, for no reason what so ever.

How did taking a life ever get so nonchalant?