wildcard

The non tender deadline is December 2nd

I think Villar will be non-tendered if he is not traded by December 1. Maybe they'll find someone they can work a Jim Johnson-like deal with, or maybe they'll get back a legit prospect by paying part of Villar's salary.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think Villar will be non-tendered if he is not traded by December 1. Maybe they'll find someone they can work a Jim Johnson-like deal with, or maybe they'll get back a legit prospect by paying part of Villar's salary.

It would be quite an accomplishment for Elias to trade Villar by the non tender date.   Other GMs are more likely to wait Elias out to see if Villar get tendered.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

It would be quite an accomplishment for Elias to trade Villar by the non tender date.   Other GMs are more likely to wait Elias out to see if Villar get tendered.

I think he's tradeable, he just won't bring back much of anything.  Think Jim Johnson.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's tradeable, he just won't bring back much of anything.  Think Jim Johnson.

I am on the fence on whether Elias trades Villar.

On the one hand Elias says if does not increase the talent in the organization he will not do it.  That rules out a Johnson like trade.

On the other hand Elias has expressed that budget is important which rules in a Johnson like trade. 

I just don't know what happens.

I think a team might prefer to trade for a tendered Villar than sign a FA Villar. He might get twice as much guaranteed in FA. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The GM meetings started yesterday and run through Thursday. By then he should have a pretty good idea of who, if anyone, is interested and under what circumstances.. 

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

I am on the fence on whether Elias trades Villar.

On the one hand Elias says if does not increase the talent in the organization he will not do it.  That rules out a Johnson like trade.

On the other hand Elias has expressed that budget is important which rules in a Johnson like trade. 

I just don't know what happens.

Could be they seek more low level minor league talent like DSL players or other lower level minor league players like they did in the Cashner trade, than the Johnson trade where it saw them get a 4A type such as Jemile Weeks and David Freitas. I can't believe that the market is going to be higher on Villar now that what it was on July 31st especially if it believes that Villar will be non-tendered and if they wait they might not have to trade anything for his services. The DSL players may not ever reach the majors but I think the FO values these types more than 4A types that you know what you are going to get and I would rather them trade for them than 4A guys.

I think they will tender Villar next year as I don't think they are going to tear down the payroll just for the heck of it and someone still has to start at second/short next year even if they will probably lose 100. If I had to guess the only non-tender will be Bleier.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jim Johnson was coming off a fairly bad season (though not the disaster some made it out to be).   Villar is coming off one of his best years.   Villar should fetch more.   Not saying he gets a king’s random, but more than what we got for JJ.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ScGO's said:

Hess, Wynns, Smith Jr, and Davis could all go. I think Hess, Wynns, and Smith  could clear waivers.

What’s funny(😢) is that those 4 guys will be on the OD roster.  Wynns will be around as long as he has options left I think. Plus, we might be nearing the time to move Sisco to 3rd base. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

What’s funny(😢) is that those 4 guys will be on the OD roster.  Wynns will be around as long as he has options left I think. Plus, we might be nearing the time to move Sisco to 3rd base. 

Sisco isn't getting moved to third base.