Jump to content
TonySoprano

Astros Stealing Signs in 2017

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

I think Fiers saw a chance to pile on a team that is already disliked inside the game and now with the Taubman stuff outside. He was benched in the postseason and wasn’t brought back. There are a ton of consequences doing what he did. He impacted a lot of people’s lives. 

I doubt we see any players being suspended. I think there will be some severe punishments with draft picks and I can see Hinch and Luhnow serving suspensions.

I think it is possible this galvanizes the Astros next year. They will want to shut everyone up.  

Maybe so, but I would say those who were directly involved to be ordering this nonsense are responsible for any of the “impacting people’s lives.”  Whistleblowers usually do face a lot of consequences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 10:09 AM, Satyr3206 said:

My outlook is the same as Frobby's. Sign stealing is fine until you start using electronics. There should be a punishment but I have no idea how harsh or lenient. Mainly because the rule just went into effect.

 

On 11/20/2019 at 2:22 PM, Can_of_corn said:

So if you put a guy in CF with binoculars and he has a buddy with him that signals the hitter that's fine?  As long as it doesn't use electricity?

My statement was:

“Using your guile to steal signs while standing on second base is one thing.    Having a camera surreptitiously do it is another thing entirely.     I don’t think it’s the biggest scandal in the world, but it certainly should be stopped.”

I don’t condone use of any form of technology, or any assistance by people not in uniform.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

 

My statement was:

“Using your guile to steal signs while standing on second base is one thing.    Having a camera surreptitiously do it is another thing entirely.     I don’t think it’s the biggest scandal in the world, but it certainly should be stopped.”

I don’t condone use of any form of technology, or any assistance by people not in uniform.    

I specifically didn't quote you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I specifically didn't quote you.

Just clarifying my position, since Satyr3206 said his “position is just like Frobby’s.”      I don’t see that he has responded to the substance of your question about outsiders using binoculars in the stands.    I’m against either binoculars or outsiders being involved.    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yankees accused Astros of using blinking lights, whistling, and hand claps to relay pitches in their series.  It will be interesting how well the Astros hitters do next year without knowing what pitch is coming.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, atomic said:

Yankees accused Astros of using blinking lights, whistling, and hand claps to relay pitches in their series.  It will be interesting how well the Astros hitters do next year without knowing what pitch is coming.  

You’ll see teams do what the Nationals did and mix up their signs.  Similar to what teams do when guys are on second, but for every pitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, backwardsk said:

You’ll see teams do what the Nationals did and mix up their signs.  Similar to what teams do when guys are on second, but for every pitch.

Anything simple enough for players to remember won't take long to break down using video footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anything simple enough for players to remember won't take long to break down using video footage.

You keep mixing it up and don’t develop tendencies.

When nobody is on base and the catcher puts down one finger, Houston relays the fastball signal.  But if you throw a curveball in that situation for one batter, a fastball for another, and a change up for a different hitter, then they’ll start to lose confidence in their system and the hitter will be guessing.

They do this when a guy is on second and they flash a series of signs.  When I pitched, our base system was to do outs + one.  For example, if a guy is on second with no outs, you go with the first sign.  If there are two outs you go with the third.  This can be changed up throughout the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

You keep mixing it up and don’t develop tendencies.

When nobody is on base and the catcher puts down one finger, Houston relays the fastball signal.  But if you throw a curveball in that situation for one batter, a fastball for another, and a change up for a different hitter, then they’ll start to lose confidence in their system and the hitter will be guessing.

They do this when a guy is on second and they flash a series of signs.  When I pitched, our base system was to do outs + one.  For example, if a guy is on second with no outs, you go with the first sign.  If there are two outs you go with the third.  This can be changed up throughout the game.

The other teams have film.  They will be able to crack whatever code teams use that is simple enough to be remembered by an entire pitching staff.

I'm sure your system worked fine in your environment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The other teams have film.  They will be able to crack whatever code teams use that is simple enough to be remembered by an entire pitching staff.

I'm sure your system worked fine in your environment.

 

They could not use the signs at all.  Flash signs and then use other arm placement.  I think if you call a curve ball and then give a fastball to the face it will give Astro players pause.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean they don't use, 1 finger for curve, 2 for fastball, and 3 for change up, anymore?  I guess there was no cheating before the Rastros.

 

54d561347b2e517deab957b191d5c2e6.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atomic said:

They could not use the signs at all.  Flash signs and then use other arm placement.  I think if you call a curve ball and then give a fastball to the face it will give Astro players pause.

Yea, they should totally try and end someone's career.

Say it with brain trauma. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...