Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

2019 #17 Prospect: Adam Hall - SS/2B

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m kind of disappointed. When Grenier was drafted I thought it was because he was a much better overall prospect than Hall. Then Grenier didn’t progress and doesn’t look very good so far and so I hung my hat on Hall again. Now it doesn’t look terribly promising for either. A “most likely” utility player. A ceiling of low-level (meaning third-Tier team, I’m assuming) daily 2B? I don’t know anything about the nuances, but that sure seems disappointing to me.

help me out?

I don't think we have a single shortstop in our system that profiles above a second division regular, and Gunnar is the only one at third. Between Hall and Hernaiz I'd say we have a 50% or less of a chance for an above average regular at second there.

We really need Austin Martin. Of course there's the ability to trade from another area of strength or sign a free agent in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

I don't think we have a single shortstop in our system that profiles above a second division regular, and Gunnar is the only one at third. Between Hall and Hernaiz I'd say we have a 50% or less of a chance for an above average regular at second there.

We really need Austin Martin. Of course there's the ability to trade from another area of strength or sign a free agent in the future.

Probably for a different thread. I agree we really need Austin Martin. I'd argue that we really need another starter with TOR upside, like Hancock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s remember that Martin isn’t by any means a sure fire SS at the MLB level. He’ll have a chance this spring to convince teams, but it’s pretty up in the air.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Let’s remember that Martin isn’t by any means a sure fire SS at the MLB level. He’ll have a chance this spring to convince teams, but it’s pretty up in the air.

He's a plus defensive third baseman from what I've seen. Obviously you can never be sure how that translates to short, but I don't really see a reason why it won't with his hands and speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much does Delmarva being a really good team factor into his mindset at the plate?  Was he trying to do team first things?  Idk, I didn't watch the games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Other general comments:

I still don't hate Hall at 12 for me, considering age/level. I do respect that Tony/Luke went at that one with a scout's take more than a stats take.

I also don't hate Wells at 18. If this was a AAA prospects list, he'd be much much higher. Hope I'm wrong.

Hanifee got me a bit too, but everyone sort of acknowledges he might be a feast or famine type of guy.

I honestly didn't know much at all about Stowers before reading the write-up. It was a guess. Like the potential if he can hone in his swing. We could be looking at a future plus power bat.

You and many others have done an excellent job so far. Goes to show you how closely you guys follow the minors and hopefully our info throughout the year helps. 

As for Hanifee, There were starts I'd watch and wanted to write him off then he'd flash me stuff that made me not want to bury him after a bad year. In the end, there is still a chance he could end up a starter, but he's need to improve that changeup and find something that he can miss bats with more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philip said:

I’m kind of disappointed. When Grenier was drafted I thought it was because he was a much better overall prospect than Hall. Then Grenier didn’t progress and doesn’t look very good so far and so I hung my hat on Hall again. Now it doesn’t look terribly promising for either. A “most likely” utility player. A ceiling of low-level (meaning third-Tier team, I’m assuming) daily 2B? I don’t know anything about the nuances, but that sure seems disappointing to me.

help me out?

You have have realistic outcome for guys where they are drafted. we've had second round picks buried already after there first full minor league season so the fact he's on the list is a good thing. The fact that if he develops he could end up a started is a good thing. Heck, if he ends up a super utility guy who can play on the grass, and then perhaps fill in at CF who brings some speed and a hit tool to the plate is a good thing.

One thing to remember here is the conventional wisdom at the time was the Orioles reached a bit with Hall in the 2nd round. The guy is major league prospect at 20-years old, that's a good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

Another way to look at it would be to group them by FV and see where the guys fit. If I have a guy at 15 and they list him at 12, but both have a 45, am I really wrong? Maybe, but not by much.

Zimmerman and Wells might be good examples of guys like that who are at very different places in the rankings but who might be very close on an estimation of future value...noting I haven't seen their assessment of Zimmerman yet, so it's just an example/guess. 

That's a good way to look it at. If you think the guy is a 60 FV and we have him at 45 then you might want to consider yourself wrong (if we happen to be right) to we could make arguments to rearrange a lot of this order.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...