Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

Only dating your exact political stripe

I heard on the radio how some online daters will only go out with people who support the same candidate in the Democratic field.   Really?    I mean, I sort of get why a D and an R might get into political fight that dominates and ruins their relationship, but now a Warren supporter can’t date a Sanders supporter or whatever?    These people need to get a life!

By the way, I’m very friendly with a couple where the husband is the policy director for a very conservative member of the GOP House leadership, and the wife is a long-time senior advisor and staffer for a very liberal Montgomery County local politician.    Somehow, they’ve been married for 30ish years.   We had dinner with them a week ago and just avoided discussing politics for 2 hours — almost impossible to do in DC these days.    It was great.   

It would be funny to see in 3-4 years. If those couples that found each other because of a certain candidate. All of the sudden like different candidates.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:07 PM, OsEatAlEast said:

It would be funny to see in 3-4 years. If those couples that found each other because of a certain candidate. All of the sudden like different candidates.

Sort of like the feeling I get when I see the Ross Perot bumper sticker that I slapped on my (back then) brand new '92 Toyota pickup, which is still my only vehicle. We were both different people back then.....well we were also both alive.

I can see where couples, or prospective couples might feel this way.

That's as far as I'm going. You know, no politics on the Hangout.

On 11/16/2019 at 4:08 AM, Frobby said:

I heard on the radio how some online daters will only go out with people who support the same candidate in the Democratic field.   Really?    I mean, I sort of get why a D and an R might get into political fight that dominates and ruins their relationship, but now a Warren supporter can’t date a Sanders supporter or whatever?    These people need to get a life!

By the way, I’m very friendly with a couple where the husband is the policy director for a very conservative member of the GOP House leadership, and the wife is a long-time senior advisor and staffer for a very liberal Montgomery County local politician.    Somehow, they’ve been married for 30ish years.   We had dinner with them a week ago and just avoided discussing politics for 2 hours — almost impossible to do in DC these days.    It was great.   

I seam to recall a power couple, one was a high ranking white house voice, now a commentator, and he ended up with an exact polar opposite political wife with her own tv fame.

i know one couple, rival college grads. One was Michigan State and the other from Ohio state. They did really well, except for game days, and decided it was safer, if they watch the games in separate rooms. :)

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I seam to recall a power couple, one was a high ranking white house voice, now a commentator, and he ended up with an exact polar opposite political wife with her own tv fame.

You’re probably talking about James Carville and Mary Matalin.   Also, Kelly Ann Conway’s husband is a very vocal Trump critic, though a Republican.    

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re probably talking about James Carville and Mary Matalin.

Aye, and yes, thank you. Both are pretty vocal for their political opinion on their side of the fence. Was a huge shock to see them hook up.

They do say opposite attract and in some cases it does seam to work.

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I used to date a girl who would occasionally wear a Yankees hat.

One day she "lost" it.

I confess I took it from her place and threw it into a burn barrel at my Dad's house.

One of my favorite ESPN commercials is the one where a guy wearing an Ohio State sweatshirt is making out with a woman wearing a Michigan sweatshirt and the caption comes on the screen: “without sports, this wouldn’t be disgusting.”

On 11/16/2019 at 1:08 AM, Frobby said:

different candidates from the same party?  Really?  that's insane.

How about date someone who makes you happy? If you're picky about their politics and argue about it a lot, buddy she ain't the one for you. The whole "If you don't like candidate XYZ then I can't date you" attitude, buddy you have a ton of other problems that you need to address before you date someone. 

On 12/3/2019 at 10:57 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

How about date someone who makes you happy? If you're picky about their politics and argue about it a lot, buddy she ain't the one for you. The whole "If you don't like candidate XYZ then I can't date you" attitude, buddy you have a ton of other problems that you need to address before you date someone. 

Women should look good. Work on yourselves. Education? I spit on education. No man is ever going to put his hand up your dress looking for a library card.---Joan Rivers

On 12/3/2019 at 10:57 PM, MDtransplant757 said:

I think having a lot in common is what leads to long healthy relationships.