Sign in to follow this  
Roll Tide

The Crow is calling! Who is with me?

I have to be honest and admit that I hated the Jackson pick. I didnt think Jackson was or could be a good passer. I am really impressed with his growth as a player. I also thought he was predisposed to running 1st.

I am impressed with where we are as a team and much of that is because of the elite athletic ability of Lamar. I still think he's exposed to a cheap shot by a defensive player too often and think a leg injury will end his career. but I am enjoying where we are and the way the team is playing!

• Upvote 3

Just based on the eye test, this is the best team in football.  They are a more complete team than anyone else.  You do worry about Jackson getting injured, but I think every player other than Brady (somehow, in spite of his middle age) is susceptible to injury at any given time.  Just looking at the schedule, I think the Ravens will get the 2 seed.  It isn't that they can't win their last 6, because they can.  I just don't think New England is losing any more games.  The Patriots are not the Patriots of old and their final 15-1 record will be more indicative of their fortunate scheduling (having Dallas and KC at home helps a lot, as does 6 games against a pathetic division).  The Chiefs are not beating the Ravens twice, especially if the game is in Baltimore.  And no other AFC team is capable of winning in New England in January.  So I think it comes down to yet another Ravens-Patriots showdown in Mass.  The good news is this may be the only franchise not scared of the Patriots "aura and mystique," but they will have to beat them twice.  Hard to do. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

Just based on the eye test, this is the best team in football.  They are a more complete team than anyone else.  You do worry about Jackson getting injured, but I think every player other than Brady (somehow, in spite of his middle age) is susceptible to injury at any given time.  Just looking at the schedule, I think the Ravens will get the 2 seed.  It isn't that they can't win their last 6, because they can.  I just don't think New England is losing any more games.  The Patriots are not the Patriots of old and their final 15-1 record will be more indicative of their fortunate scheduling (having Dallas and KC at home helps a lot, as does 6 games against a pathetic division).  The Chiefs are not beating the Ravens twice, especially if the game is in Baltimore.  And no other AFC team is capable of winning in New England in January.  So I think it comes down to yet another Ravens-Patriots showdown in Mass.  The good news is this may be the only franchise not scared of the Patriots "aura and mystique," but they will have to beat them twice.  Hard to do. 

The Patriots have the Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs, and Bills. I don't see how they sweep all four.

If this is about eating crow, I will be first in line.  I did not like the Lamar pick, never thought he'd get back his inaccurate passing, and was sure the running would eventually have a gameplan against it (see exhibit A: Ravens vs Chargers playoff game).

Needless to say, I was wrong, and the guy has made a believer out of me.  I just hope I'm not getting set up for a higher fall to reality.  

I was a skeptic when the season started, not really a hater.  But he has since made me into a believer.   I just pray he is able to stay healthy for a long time.  We can worry about contract negotiations later........for now I'm enjoying the ride.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The Patriots have the Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs, and Bills. I don't see how they sweep all four.

The Cowboys, Chiefs, and Bills games are in New England, which makes a big difference.  Although Buffalo is 3-31 against Brady, so they can’t beat him no matter where the game is played.  And while the Houston game is on the road, they are 1-9 against Brady since the Texans became a franchise.  He may not be the same Brady, but these teams forget how to play football every time they see the Patriots jerseys.

2 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

The Cowboys, Chiefs, and Bills games are in New England, which makes a big difference.  Although Buffalo is 3-31 against Brady, so they can’t beat him no matter where the game is played.  And while the Houston game is on the road, they are 1-9 against Brady since the Texans became a franchise.  He may not be the same Brady, but these teams forget how to play football every time they see the Patriots jerseys.

Cheifs will most likely be the game to give New England trouble. Bills might if their offense shows up, Texans O line has to show up and their defense needs to play up to its ability. Dallas is so insanely inconsistent that it doesn't matter. That's a W for brady and Co. 

I gladly admit that I was wrong when I thought he'd washout in 3 years. Truly Lamarkable (not sure who was the first to use it, but I like it)

I will eat crow of a different kind.  Three years ago it was clear to me that John Harbaugh needed to go.  He was a coach without expertise, beholden to the effectiveness of his coordinators, and his talent on the field.  While I think most coaches sit in the same position, I felt that Harbaugh was incapable of change, and surviving on throwing coordinators under the bus.

A lot of that was true and I think his coordinators are currently very strong at what they do. But Harbaugh has changed, he bought in and let the team be built in a new and interesting way.  And he ushered that change, has embraced analytics, has built an environment where players and coaches can improve and where the sum is greater than its component parts.

I have to give Harbaugh a lot of credit for that.

• Upvote 1

I was clearly absolutely  wrong.  Lamar worked his behind off in the off season to make himself a great passer.  The fumbling is gone. The bad throwing is gone.  If he wins the Super Bowl MVP I think the idea of the pocket passer being what you need will go out the door.  He is not only tons better than I claimed he would be, he could redefine what a protypical NFL QB IS.

I guess it is difficult to judge who will be the guy who works constantly to improve once they get to the NFL.  What I don’t get is his college coach was a former NFL QB coach.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I was clearly absolutely  wrong.  Lamar worked his behind off in the off season to make himself a great passer.  The fumbling is gone. The bad throwing is gone.  If he wins the Super Bowl MVP I think the idea of the pocket passer being what you need will go out the door.  He is not only tons better than I claimed he would be, he could redefine what a protypical NFL QB IS.

I guess it is difficult to judge who will be the guy who works constantly to improve once they get to the NFL.  What I don’t get is his college coach was a former NFL QB coach.  

I think your right there with me on Lamar. But I remember Prescott being all world his first full season and hard to stop. I remember RG3 the same way and Vick was a little less each year after he looked stellar. 

I will ride the Lamar wave now as long as I can. But ultimately I still think he will eventually fall victim to a serious leg injury due to bad luck or a cheap shot. And I don't think he will be in the pocket or behind the line of scrimmage when it happens. I don't want it too.... I just think it will

10 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think your right there with me on Lamar. But I remember Prescott being all world his first full season and hard to stop. I remember RG3 the same way and Vick was a little less each year after he looked stellar. 

I will ride the Lamar wave now as long as I can. But ultimately I still think he will eventually fall victim to a serious leg injury due to bad luck or a cheap shot. And I don't think he will be in the pocket or behind the line of scrimmage when it happens. I don't want it too.... I just think it will

I think Lamar has what Tom Brady and Ray Lewis have.  The guy puts forth the extreme effort to make themselves the best.  If you could somehow know which guys have that quality before you drafted them.  I don't think it is fair to compare him to players like Vick and RG3 anymore. He has proven he isn't that type of player. Last year yeah.  But he has gone past that level. 

I remember reading interviews with former Capital's coach Bruce Bodreau where he said when he made it to the NHL he stopped working on improving himself.  He saw players who ended up being great getting to practice early and leaving late and he didn't understand it.  He had reached his goals.  His efforts did get him in the AHL Hall of Fame.  (Minor league) .

In the NFL most of the players grew up with nothing.  You give them millions of dollars and it is hard to know how they will react.  

As for injuries. Flacco was never the same after his injury.  Ben is out this season.  Peyton Manning missed a season to injury.  Joe Thiesman one hit ended his career. Pocket passers get injured plenty too.  Even Brady was out for a year with injury.. 

Joe Tesatore mentioned last night that LJ told him he was having so much trouble throwing the ball (and presumably holding on to the ball) because of the difference in size between the college and NFL ball.

I have played many sports my entire life and I can say that for baseball, golf or basketball if you changed the size and weight of the ball on me it would really mess me up.

Yea I caught that too.  Interesting, wonder why they do that.  To make it easier for college kids I guess?

https://www.answers.com/Q/Is_an_NCAA_football_the_same_size_as_an_NFL_football

This basically confirms it.

Glad Lamar was able to make that adjustment along with some others to become the most dynamic and exciting player to watch in the game.