TonySoprano

Has D.C. "Lost" the Redskins?

I put "lost" in quotes, because I am not talking about a physical move, but one of interest.   The cries of "sell the team" grow louder and louder as well as the number of no-shows.

The prestige and status of the Washington Redskins within the D.C. area reached their absolute bottom — the lowest point in the existence of the franchise in this city since 1937 — on Sunday at FedEx Field.

Just 15 days earlier, a downtown parade celebrated the World Series victory of the Washington Nationals. The 2018 Stanley Cup champion Washington Capitals have the most wins in the NHL. Over the past 18 months, a trend, many years in the making, has turned into a stunning transformation.

Washington has discovered that champions can live here. So why tolerate, let alone support, an atrociously run and constantly embarrassing franchise with a moral compass that is as twisted as a corkscrew?

Suddenly the distance from the heights of the Nats and Caps down to the disgraced depths of the local 1-9 football team — which fell behind the awful New York Jets by 31 points before losing, 34-17 — must be measured in miles, not just NFL yards.

The team’s reign as king of a football town may have ended quite some time ago as Washington amassed one of the worst records in the NFL over the past 25 years. But now the Redskins have fallen so low that they are no longer even in remote contention for top team in their own city.

Year after year, it is the Redskins’ pattern — and perhaps their policy — never to admit that anything is wrong and always to say that they are “close.” That is always the word — coaching regime after regime. They hardly ever are. It’s self-delusion and marketed to suckers.

Boswell - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/what-once-seemed-impossible-is-now-undeniable-the-redskins-have-lost-washington/2019/11/17/c215e596-0975-11ea-8397-a955cd542d00_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

22 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I put "lost" in quotes, because I am not talking about a physical move, but one of interest.   The cries of "sell the team" grow louder and louder as well as the number of no-shows.

Boswell - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/what-once-seemed-impossible-is-now-undeniable-the-redskins-have-lost-washington/2019/11/17/c215e596-0975-11ea-8397-a955cd542d00_story.html?wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

I remember a very proud Dallas team having a 1-15 record and was able to recover from it.

I think they lost more of their outside DC fan base than DC Fan base. What I mean by that, they used to be around the 2nd or 3rd NFL in team merchandising sales, which now they are no longer.

Look at the Orioles, they are in total complete disrepair, and they didnt lose their fan base over it.

As the Orioles found out in 12, winning cures everything.

Probably cause they are still the "Redskins".  We all know that if they changed their name, greatness would return. 

Not.

e6faf783ac0c6ff9a6129e25a0ddd9ef.jpg

I went to the Monday Night Football game. I paid 30 bucks for club level on the 35 1st row. It was a great experience but I feel for you Redskins fans.

As a side not we visited Hooters at half time. It was an embarrassment that they call it Hooters.

my favorite wing place and the wings tasted nothing like the sauce from the chain that I've had thousands of times. And they refused to bread chickenwings ???

On 11/19/2019 at 11:53 AM, Redskins Rick said:

I remember a very proud Dallas team having a 1-15 record and was able to recover from it.

The Cowboys were 12-4 in 1983 and they were 11-5 in 1991.  

If you are a 30 year old Redskin fan,  the Redskins last won the more than 10 games when you were 2 years old.

7 hours ago, POR said:

The Cowboys were 12-4 in 1983 and they were 11-5 in 1991.  

If you are a 30 year old Redskin fan,  the Redskins last won the more than 10 games when you were 2 years old.

Yep, the Browns and the Lions have won 11 games more recently. The Bengals have done it 3 times.

They are truly a pit of despair.  

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Yep, the Browns and the Lions have won 11 games more recently. The Bengals have done it 3 times.

They are truly a pit of despair.  

I think folks should use slough of despond more.

• Upvote 2

Another article last week showed that in 2010, 34% of DC area fans said the Redskins were their favorite team, compared to 7% for the Nats.    Today, 28% say Nats, 13% say Redskins.     You can look at that and say the fans are a bunch of front runners, or you can conclude that the Redskins have lost a lot of fans through poor play, poor management and tone deaf fan relations.    

On 11/25/2019 at 5:53 PM, Frobby said:

Another article last week showed that in 2010, 34% of DC area fans said the Redskins were their favorite team, compared to 7% for the Nats.    Today, 28% say Nats, 13% say Redskins.     You can look at that and say the fans are a bunch of front runners, or you can conclude that the Redskins have lost a lot of fans through poor play, poor management and tone deaf fan relations.    

The Nats go from last place to WS winners, and only gained 21%. I suspect that number would drop as soon as they lose that grip on the WS trophy.

There is no doubt that the Skins have lost fans, but I think there are different degrees of "lost".

#1 - Lost to another fan base

#2 - Dormant, and lost interest in the team, until they rebuild and come back as a team capable of competing.

#3 - Lost interest totally in the team and the NFL.

There are also other factors that play into the above.

#1 - Refusing to stand for the flag.

#2 - The issues with Kap and other drama kings associated with the game.

#3 - The rising cost of game attendance.