Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Frobby

BRob is on the HOF Ballot

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Bonds does.

I meant someone coming up for the first time.   But of course, you knew that, I suppose.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I meant someone coming up for the first time.   But of course, you knew that, I suppose.  

Sure, I was just throwing my support behind Bonds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I agree completely.    But why should the Yankees have a monopoly on this for now?   12 people voted against Chipper Jones two years ago, and he was a significantly better player than Jeter.     They can start with the unanimous voting some other time.   (PS - admittedly, there’s nobody coming up in 2021 who deserves to be unanimous.)

Jeter couldn't hold Ripken's jock, but he'll stay pass Cal in votes.  With Rivera in, being the second unanimous selection doesn't have nearly the cachet as being the first.

PS - I'll go a step further and say there are no first ballot players in 2021 that should be inducted at all.  Buehrle and Hudson have the highest career WAR of that list.  Add in Torii Hunter and those three may get in down the line, but not in 2021.

PSS - Roberts is one and done on the ballot

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Jeter couldn't hold Ripken's jock, but he'll stay pass Cal in votes.  With Rivera in, being the second unanimous selection doesn't have nearly the cachet as being the first.

PS - I'll go a step further and say there are no first ballot players in 2021 that should be inducted at all.  Buehrle and Hudson have the highest career WAR of that list.  Add in Torii Hunter and those three may get in down the line, but not in 2021.

PSS - Roberts is one and done on the ballot

He'll get a higher percentage but not more votes.  Ripken was named on 537 of 545 ballots.  Riveria received 425/425.  The culling of older voters is what made a unanimous choice possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He'll get a higher percentage but not more votes.  Ripken was named on 537 of 545 ballots.  Riveria received 425/425.  The culling of older voters is what made a unanimous choice possible.

Agree.  Maybe it's a separate discussion for the MLB forum, but when, if ever, will the changes to the voters loosen their opposition to the steroids cheaters?  Bonds and Clemens are still below 60% after 7 years on the ballot.   Their time with the BBWAA is running short.  

0039.gif&f=1&nofb=1

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Agree.  Maybe it's a separate discussion for the MLB forum, but when, if ever, will the changes to the voters loosen their opposition to the steroids cheaters?  Bonds and Clemens are still below 60% after 7 years on the ballot.   Their time with the BBWAA is running short.  

0039.gif&f=1&nofb=1

If they are looking at an empty class in 2021...

We've seen guys get a pretty large bump their last couple years on the ballot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are looking at an empty class in 2021...

We've seen guys get a pretty large bump their last couple years on the ballot.

Schilling has a good shot in ‘21, if not this time.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are looking at an empty class in 2021...

We've seen guys get a pretty large bump their last couple years on the ballot.

The BBWAA will still have some players backlogged that year; it's what they do.  Yeah, I'm pulling us further from the OP by asking - how long with players like Curt Schilling remain on the outside?  It becomes the what-about game.  Well, if Mussina gets in, then "what about" Schilling?   Without straying into politics, we know that there are things besides the numbers that go into the voting games.  Or is there another reason why Eddie Murray, of the 500/3,000 club, "only" received 85.3% of the vote besides his less than favorable reputation amongst the writers?  So short story, long, I don't think there will be an empty 2021 class.  It just won't (shouldn't) have any first ballots.

There are also the Era (formerly called Veterans') committees that may add to the list.  2021 is Golden Days (1950-69) and Early Baseball (Before '50).  2010 had 1 from the BBWAA, 2 in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 0 in 2013 so an empty class wouldn't be unprecedented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You might want to stock up on Pepto because I'm fairly certain that he's going to be...

If so it would be silly since Trammell didn’t even get 75%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

The BBWAA will still have some players backlogged that year; it's what they do.  Yeah, I'm pulling us further from the OP by asking - how long with players like Curt Schilling remain on the outside?  It becomes the what-about game.  Well, if Mussina gets in, then "what about" Schilling?   Without straying into politics, we know that there are things besides the numbers that go into the voting games.  Or is there another reason why Eddie Murray, of the 500/3,000 club, "only" received 85.3% of the vote besides his less than favorable reputation amongst the writers?  So short story, long, I don't think there will be an empty 2021 class.  It just won't (shouldn't) have any first ballots.

There are also the Era (formerly called Veterans') committees that may add to the list.  2021 is Golden Days (1950-69) and Early Baseball (Before '50).  2010 had 1 from the BBWAA, 2 in 2011, 1 in 2012, and 0 in 2013 so an empty class wouldn't be unprecedented.

An empty class wouldn't be unprecedented but it would be unwelcome.  I think the small classes from 2011-2013 spurred on the changes to the voting body.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

An empty class wouldn't be unprecedented but it would be unwelcome.  I think the small classes from 2011-2013 spurred on the changes to the voting body.

Better that than inducting people for the sake of putting on a show.  The Orioles Hall of Fame already does that. 😉

2022 is headlined by ARod (not unless Bonds gets in first) and local "favorites" Big Papi and Teixeira.   I may be buying extra Pepto-Bismol that year myself.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SouthernBird said:

I liked the guy, but he is not HOF material. Watched his whole career. Ain’t seeing it.

As I understand it, there are limited objective criteria you have to meet to be on the ballot (parts of 10 years in MLB and out 5 years).    Once you meet those, there’s a committee that recommends who goes on, but it’s largely a rubber stamp.    BRob is certainly in the top half of those being added to the ballot, but of course he’s no HOFer.    As I said, it’s just cool for him to be on there at all; not many get there.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reminds of how strange a year 2012 was. Roberts was a non-contributor to that team. I can’t say I be same about Markakis, he just caught a tough break from CC. The first time we make the playoffs after all those years and those two weren’t factors in the playoffs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







  • Posts

    • Many thanks to Luke-OH for his scouting information.  I apologize if this has been posted already.  Baseball America had this to say about Rucker (I swear it is more positive than what I saw from that site immediately after the draft).  Rucker's stuff drew varying opinions in 2019. Some scouts saw a pitcher with very vanilla stuff, but scouts who saw him in other outings saw arm speed and a quality fastball. He’s a 6-foot-1 righthander who spent most of the year in Double-A. Rucker’s 92-96 mph fastball earns some above-average grades. He has a pair of breaking balls and changeup are all fringe-average to average, so he has to succeed with location and staying a step ahead of hitters. MLB had this part way through 2018  Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 45  Rucker led the Western Athletic Conference with 11 wins as a redshirt junior at Brigham Young in 2016, when he was one of 16 college pitchers drafted by Chicago in the first 20 rounds. He has exceeded expectations since signing for $180,000 as an 11th-rounder, posting a 2.12 ERA in his first two seasons. The Cubs eased him into pro ball as a reliever and he continued to thrive after they turned him loose as a starter in high Class A last June.  Rucker might have the best fastball command in the system, enhancing the effectiveness of a 91-94 mph fastball that reaches 96. He has improved his curveball since turning pro, giving him a solid second pitch. His changeup is more of a work in progress but there are games when it works as well as his curve.  After initially looking like he might advance quickly as a bullpen piece, Rucker now is a potential back-of-the-rotation starter. He's not overly physical but keeps his pitch counts down, allowing him to work deep into games. Out of nowhere, he has become one of Chicago's most advanced starting-pitching prospects.      
    • He broke UZR because of his shifting.  IIRC they ended up taking out plays that are fielded more than a certain distance away from the usual starting position for a given fielder so Zobrist and a few others wouldn’t get OOZ credit for balls hit in the RF gap as a 3B.
    • Thanks for the review and the photos.  The photo with Bird Santa looks cool.  
    • This is from Brandon Bailey's blog. https://brandonbailey1994.com/2019/03/19/how-do-i-top-that/ It mirrors some of the things player development was doing with pitchers in the Orioles system in 2019. "What I didn’t understand was that the Astros player development staff was purposely challenging me to get out of my comfort zone, propelling me to throw more curveballs and sliders rather than my bread & butter fastball-changeup combo. This new challenge forced me to deal with some failure and adversity; and while no player ever wants to be told that they have blaring weaknesses in their game, sometimes it’s the brutally honest conversations that lead to the biggest improvements. “We’re not preparing you to have success in the Carolina League,” my High-A pitching coach Drew French explained to me one day after a tough outing, “We are preparing you to have success in the big leagues.”"
    • We may well have gotten more for Bundy than they did for Kluber.
    • I have not studied this topic, so I cannot get specific. However, after having watched  MLB operate for many years, it just might be a perceived short term solution to a perceived problem, but I would bet that in the long run it will not help the players.  Sure some players salaries MIGHT rise slightly, but there will be fewer players, fewer teams, and less help to local economies as the result of this proposal. Remember. minor leagues are the life blood of MLB.      
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...