wildcard

Roster moves in the next two days

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good thread,

I don’t see Fenter getting selected. He had a good bounce back season and all, but only 94 IP I low A ball. (Insert “but 26 man roster”)

Mckenna is 50/50 for me. I’d probably lean to protect him since we’re really thin at CF depth in the organization. Plus, we do have some pitchers on the 40 man, like the ones you mentioned, that could be DFA’d with little news. 

Fenter could be an MLB openers for two innings. At least someone could try that. 

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I’d add Wilkerson and subtract Tate if I could make one swap.

He hates Tate. I love him. Tate. Not Corn. I like Corn. 

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed-40-man-protection-preview/c-311901856

MILB with a few paragraphs on all 30 teams....their guesses on our four close calls is:

39th man - McKenna

Bubble - Fenter v. Sedlock (~Pedigree or Performance)

Last 1 out: Cumberland

As OHIO is my Villar search zone, here's one snippet that caught my eye:

Cleveland Indians (38)

2. Triston McKenzie
14. Luis Oviedo
16. Daniel Johnson
17. Scott Moss

Outlook: This could be tight, so perhaps expect some moves from the Indians if they want to clear out 40-man space.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why would anyone need to be DFAd in that scenario with five open roster spaces?

You have to leave room for your own rule five pick, and we want to protect as many guys as we can. My own question is actually the opposite of yours, which is, why worry about roster spots? Just designate guys, we don’t have anybody who’s especially valuable, and with the flurry of roster moves that is about to occur throughout the league, anybody we designate is almost certainly going to end up remaining with us anyway.

The most vulnerable guys probably are our outfielders, because we have so many of them.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's a major league pitcher.

Well, you are clearly wrong, since he has pitched in the major leagues, and thus by definition is a major league pitcher.    He will always be able to say that.   Not only that, but someone once paid him $4.2 mm to sign a contract.   

Now, will he ever be any good?   That’s an entirely different kettle of fish.   But I’ll give him another year to prove it one way or the other.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, you are clearly wrong, since he has pitched in the major leagues, and thus by definition is a major league pitcher.    He will always be able to say that.   Not only that, but someone once paid him $4.2 mm to sign a contract.   

Now, will he ever be any good?   That’s an entirely different kettle of fish.   But I’ll give him another year to prove it one way or the other.    

Pretty sure you know I wasn't being literal.

• Upvote 1

IMO Wilkerson is the likely left fielder to beginning the season until Mountcastle is promoted.  Mancini likely at 1B.     Stewart probably not ready to start the season.   Hays and Santander at the other two OF positions.

Wilkerson had a  783 OPS vs righties in 2019.  If the O's have enough 26 man roster room for someone to platoon with Wilkerson  that might work well.

Alberto hit well against lefties but not righties in 2019.  During the first month I think Alberto gets the opportunity play vs righties and  lefties.   By the second month he may be platooning if he does not improve vs righties.  If Villar is traded maybe with Wilkerson.   Wilkerson came through the O's minor leagues mostly as  a 2B.  2B is probably his best defensive position.

I am not in favor of DFAing Wilkerson.

• Upvote 1

I don't have any interest in Wilkerson in the outfield. If Villar is back he can be DFA'd, if Villar is not back he can platoon with Alberto at second.

The 40 man is at 35 right now. I expect Hanhold, Valaika, Wilkerson, Wynns, Smith Jr, Armstrong, and Kline would all pass through waivers, so there isn't any worry about the roster being full.

I'm in favor of protecting Mountcastle, Akin, Sedlock, McKenna, Kremer, and Fenter and I expect they'll claim 1 or 2 guys that shake loose from other teams.