Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

#26 Prospect Dillon Tate - RHP

Probably my least favorite prospect on the list.    He looked like AAAA fodder to me.   I think I might like Branden Kline a little better.   (I recognize that Kline is older and no longer technically a “prospect” due to the time he spent on the roster last year.)

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Probably my least favorite prospect on the list.    He looked like AAAA fodder to me.   I think I might like Branden Kline a little better.   (I recognize that Kline is older and no longer technically a “prospect” due to the time he spent on the roster last year.)

Kline walked a lot of guys last year and he is more than 2 and a half years older so I still prefer Tate. Ultimately, I think both are up-down middle relief types at least for 2020, but I think we will end up getting slightly more value out of Tate over the next few years and he is more likely to stick as a middle reliever when he is out of options in 2022 if only because he will be 28 and Kline will be 30. I don't expect either to be a difference maker, just nondescript relievers that most fans will have a vague recollection of ten years from now, Matt Albers-ish.

I have a soft spot for Tate because we share an alma mater (UCSB), even though he will never reach his loft draft status, I will be rooting for him.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I like Tate more than Castro going forward.  

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That is a very low bar. An entire team could be made up of guys whose entire career earnings are the lofty signing bonuses they got when they were drafted.

Tate is just another guy who is drafted high and performed low.

Between his age, decent appearance and innings accumulation at the end of the season, and less than inspiring results, I honestly didn't think he would be included on the list.  Right now he's AAAA material, decent enough to get to the big leagues but questionable about whether he can stick there.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

That is a very low bar. An entire team could be made up of guys whose entire career earnings are the lofty signing bonuses they got when they were drafted.

We didn't draft him, so I've never really factored in draft status when evaluating him.  He does have a FB that gets swing and misses, and he does have a splitter type pitch that does the same.  The natural progression to become a MLB reliever is to have been a failed SP.  So that means there is some degree of failure involved.  He's not going to have a pristine resume.  He just start relieving full time last year as well.  I think people are too hung up on expectations (1st rd pick, plus centerpiece of Britton deal), rather than focusing on a guy that has two swing and miss pitches.  There's not too many pitchers on our staff or 40 man with that.  

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

7 hours ago, Philip said:

Not that low a bar.   Castro has basically been a league average reliever.    I’d be very happy if Tate became that.    I doubt he will, but I’ll keep an open mind and root for him to do it.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Not that low a bar.   Castro has basically been a league average reliever.    I’d be very happy if Tate became that.    I doubt he will, but I’ll keep an open mind and root for him to do it.   

Yeah, I mean if Tate has 258 IP of 4.32 ERA relief, he'll have outperformed his ranking. If that is the outcome of the 26th best prospect, that's a darn good system.