Jump to content
pocketRIPKENS

Stream MASN??

Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2019 at 6:03 PM, Moose Milligan said:

Past two seasons, I've had an MLB TV subscription and used a VPN to get around the blackout.  I've cut the cord, that's how I've had to watch Orioles games.  

MASN sucks.  

What VPN service do you use?  MLB cancels your account at even a whiff of a VPN.

I use a VPN on my home network where my cable box is located, so I can use Xfinity’s Stream to watch MASN.  AFAIK besides the Dodgers, only MASN prevents you from streaming games where you are already paying for MASN.

I was hoping Peter seeing the Nats win the World Series would send him to an overly late grave.  Losing his MASN revenue will have to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would somebody enlighten me as to what wonderful things streaming would do for me?

If all it would do is give me the opportunity to watch games hunched over my computer instead of sitting comfortably in my easy chair and watching on TV, no thank you.  I am quite happy with MASN on cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WillyM said:

Would somebody enlighten me as to what wonderful things streaming would do for me?

If all it would do is give me the opportunity to watch games hunched over my computer instead of sitting comfortably in my easy chair and watching on TV, no thank you.  I am quite happy with MASN on cable.

You could watch on an IPad in your easy chair or wherever you want.  I use bluetooth to stream from my IPad to my TV.  So I am still comfortably watching.  Or you could watch in on your phone while your are waiting somewhere.   Or what if you are on vacation.  You want to see the Orioles game what do you do as you don't have your MASN with you. 

I think most people want streaming service so they can watch Orioles games for say 15 to 20 dollars a month while not having to pay over 100 dollars a month for a cable package full of shows they never watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IPad?  What's an IPad?

Bluetooth?  What's bluetooth?

Watch on my phone?  Can't do it.  I have a flip phone and a land line phone.

I am still quite happy with MASN on cable.

Edited by WillyM
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, WillyM said:

IPad?  What's an IPad?

Bluetooth?  What's bluetooth?

Watch on my phone?  Can't do it.  I have a flip phone and a land line phone.

I am still quite happy with MASN on cable.

Yeah sounds like cable is what works for you.  But all these young'ens on here in their 40's and 50's like the modern technology. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 3:08 AM, Beetlejuice said:

 

I was hoping Peter seeing the Nats win the World Series would send him to an overly late grave.  Losing his MASN revenue will have to do. 

You may not say these things here. Last warning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 3:59 PM, ExileAngelos said:

Good for those who are happier after cutting the cord.  So not worth it for me.  Complete hassle and not saving as much money as you think.  

I’m paying $30 a month for Internet. I watch anything I want on my TV from my couch anytime I want. If someone has a cable package around that price I’d love to hear about it. I might reconnect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2019 at 3:08 AM, Beetlejuice said:

What VPN service do you use?  MLB cancels your account at even a whiff of a VPN.

I use a VPN on my home network where my cable box is located, so I can use Xfinity’s Stream to watch MASN.  AFAIK besides the Dodgers, only MASN prevents you from streaming games where you are already paying for MASN.

I was hoping Peter seeing the Nats win the World Series would send him to an overly late grave.  Losing his MASN revenue will have to do. 

Express VPN.  Works like a charm.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

Using what technologies?

Reddit streams.  Screen mirroring from IPad to AppleTV.  Of course you can hook up a laptop to a TV just as easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Reddit streams.  Screen mirroring from IPad to AppleTV.  Of course you can hook up a laptop to a TV just as easily.

Eww.  Pain in the neck.  I wish MLB would mandate that if you pay for cable and you get the games then they should require the RSN to allow you to stream using their app and signing into your cable account. Just like you can for HBO, NHL, NBA etc.

Xfinity’s Stream app is awesome.  And it works great in home but when you leave your network it won’t work — unless you connect to a VPN in your house.  That’s what I use.  I gave all my friends and family a VPN login so they can connect then they stream from the app.  Works flawlessly, but it should be unnecessary 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, atomic said:

I think most people want streaming service so they can watch Orioles games for say 15 to 20 dollars a month while not having to pay over 100 dollars a month for a cable package full of shows they never watch. 

And cable subscribers would love to not pay a sports package fee for sports they don’t watch.  If you like local sports,  cord cutting isn’t really an option now.  As I’ve opined elsewhere, what annoys me is that if I am paying that cable fee, I should be able to watch anywhere and not have to pony up extra for the privilege.  Yeah, I have a great workaround for MASN, but it sucks to have to use it.

BTW, if you get a raspberry Pi and use the GUI installer to install OpenVPN and have some sort of DynDNS service you can bypass the “out of home network” message you get when trying to stream MASN remotely.  It takes all of 15 minutes to setup.

instructions:

Install Linux on your RPI.  A million guides are out there.  Then  follow this guide to install http://www.pivpn.io which takes all the headache out of installing OpenVPN.  

Use your router’s DynDNS feature so you have an address like foobar.somedyndnsservice.org which always points to your WAN IP address and use foobar.somedyndnsservice.org as your domain name when installing PiVPN.  Forward port 1194|UDP on your router  to your RPI.  Install OpenVPN on your computer and mobile devices and put the client certs PiVPN generated for you on those machines.  Connect to the VPN and it’s like you’re on your home WiFi.

Edited by Beetlejuice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Beetlejuice said:

And cable subscribers would love to not pay a sports package fee for sports they don’t watch.  If you like local sports,  cord cutting isn’t really an option now.  As I’ve opined elsewhere, what annoys me is that if I am paying that cable fee, I should be able to watch anywhere and not have to pony up extra for the privilege.  Yeah, I have a great workaround for MASN, but it sucks to have to use it.

BTW, if you get a raspberry Pi and use the GUI installer to install OpenVPN and have some sort of DynDNS service you can bypass the “out of home network” message you get when trying to stream MASN remotely.  It takes all of 15 minutes to setup.

Baseball is the only issue.  You can get SlingTV with sports package and watch Capitals and Wizards games.  Something like $30 a month and you get a lot of other channels as well.  NFL local games are all on free TV.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, atomic said:

Baseball is the only issue.  You can get SlingTV with sports package and watch Capitals and Wizards games.  Something like $30 a month and you get a lot of other channels as well.  NFL local games are all on free TV.  

I gave my friend a Comcast email address for my account, and a VPN login.  Free for him.  If Sling included baseball, I’d think about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...