Jump to content
Frobby

Waiving/non-tendering Villar: pro or con?

Do you approve Elias’ move of waiving Villar?  

120 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you agree with putting Villar on waivers?

    • I’m in favor
    • I’m against
    • Don’t know, but I’ll defer to Elias’ judgment

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/29/2019 at 04:40

Recommended Posts

I’d like to see the O’s spend all their allotted international slot bonuses, but I’m pretty sure it’s going to take a few years to establish relationships. And by relationships, we have to start paying the top prospects, and their families, when the kids are like 14. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, POR said:

 From Astroball

Jeff Luhnow followed through on his promise to Jim Crane to rid the club of high- priced, underperforming veterans, in order to squirrel away the savings to spend in a future in which they could realistically  hope to compete.

 

I posted this in another thread - but the Astros haven't spent any of that "saved" money.

R6df5DO4zIlqHgxdvXTNlBbtcZ8CR0b7qanqNdLz

According to spotrac - here's the payrolls from 2013-2019 for Dallas, DC, and Houston. Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the country. Dallas has about half a million more people, DC has about half a million less.

I calculated the average payroll between Dallas and DC and compared it to Houston's payroll for that year. The row at the bottom of the chart shows how much less Houston spent that year in comparison to the average of their closest metropolitan area teams.

From 2013-2018, the Houston Astros spent $376.5M less than their closest metropolitan-sized-siblings. They finally spent more in 2019 - $17M more in payroll - after two straight 100+ win seasons, a World Series win, and three playoff appearances. But, I'd expect a team to be able to generate $17M after all of that.

Altogether, the Houston Astros have spent $359.5M less than either the Texas Rangers of Washington Nationals since 2013.

So, where'd all that money go?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I agree with you - the goal is to create a system that can sustain a winner over a long period of time. I think the Orioles really should be looking at the Cardinals as a franchise to emulate, given they have similar markets.

But, I really disagree with what I bolded. 1998-2011 was so terrible because the front office was poorly managed and just straight up made terrible decisions. There aren't only two alternatives here: either tank or sign the 2020 version of Jay Payton.

Free Agency is really advantageous to teams right now. There's no reason why the O's can't spend a relatively small amount of money to make the team much better - and then also have new assets to trade for prospects. That's something I think Elias should be doing, instead of throwing away $800,000 at the Nate Karns of the world.

I agree with the bad decisions,  poor understaffed front office. But the problem was bigger than that! Angelos was no longer buying top tier free agents. Rather he was authorizing mid level acquisitions for mediocre ball players. All the while a Shitty scouting, development system was producing little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I posted this in another thread - but the Astros haven't spent any of that "saved" money.

R6df5DO4zIlqHgxdvXTNlBbtcZ8CR0b7qanqNdLz

According to spotrac - here's the payrolls from 2013-2019 for Dallas, DC, and Houston. Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the country. Dallas has about half a million more people, DC has about half a million less.

I calculated the average payroll between Dallas and DC and compared it to Houston's payroll for that year. The row at the bottom of the chart shows how much less Houston spent that year in comparison to the average of their closest metropolitan area teams.

From 2013-2018, the Houston Astros spent $376.5M less than their closest metropolitan-sized-siblings. They finally spent more in 2019 - $17M more in payroll - after two straight 100+ win seasons, a World Series win, and three playoff appearances. But, I'd expect a team to be able to generate $17M after all of that.

Altogether, the Houston Astros have spent $359.5M less than either the Texas Rangers of Washington Nationals since 2013.

So, where'd all that money go?

The pockets of the greedy ownership.

If your not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers you love this model. Tank and save tens of millions, get good and increase spending to where it should be.  Rinse Repeat and save ten of millions again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, theocean said:

I posted this in another thread - but the Astros haven't spent any of that "saved" money.

R6df5DO4zIlqHgxdvXTNlBbtcZ8CR0b7qanqNdLz

According to spotrac - here's the payrolls from 2013-2019 for Dallas, DC, and Houston. Houston is the 5th largest metro area in the country. Dallas has about half a million more people, DC has about half a million less.

I calculated the average payroll between Dallas and DC and compared it to Houston's payroll for that year. The row at the bottom of the chart shows how much less Houston spent that year in comparison to the average of their closest metropolitan area teams.

From 2013-2018, the Houston Astros spent $376.5M less than their closest metropolitan-sized-siblings. They finally spent more in 2019 - $17M more in payroll - after two straight 100+ win seasons, a World Series win, and three playoff appearances. But, I'd expect a team to be able to generate $17M after all of that.

Altogether, the Houston Astros have spent $359.5M less than either the Texas Rangers of Washington Nationals since 2013.

So, where'd all that money go?

The Astros are paying both Vetlander and Greinke. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, POR said:

The Astros are paying both Vetlander and Greinke. 

And tha doesn't change the point ....Payroll is about where it should be for a team with the 5th largest market. So they aren't overspending the cheapness from the lean years.

Other have argued about football academies and the like ..but they saved 80-100 million this year over last . They have all the money they need t build all the international clinics, additional development stuff, scouting, and overpaid VPs to cover the next 20-30 years.

They don't need to be stupid cheap to accomplish anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The pockets of the greedy ownership.

If your not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodgers you love this model. Tank and save tens of millions, get good and increase spending to where it should be.  Rinse Repeat and save ten of millions again.

So the Astros have had a fantastic team the last three years and you’re suggesting their ownership is motivated by greed?    They had the 8th highest payroll, not exactly pinching pennies if you ask me.    

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So the Astros have had a fantastic team the last three years and you’re suggesting their ownership is motivated by greed?    They had the 8th highest payroll, not exactly pinching pennies if you ask me.    

Did you read and understand my post or those that lead up to it? I'm talking about the competitive cycle. No one is saying there payroll isn't in line now. But are they overspending the $300 million that they saved during the "rebuilding years" .

Another poster shared a model showing that they weren't.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Did you read and understand my post or those that lead up to it? I'm talking about the competitive cycle. No one is saying there payroll isn't in line now. But are they overspending the $300 million that they saved during the "rebuilding years" .

Another poster shared a model showing that they weren't.

I don’t completely buy his logic.   But I have to hit the road now, and don’t have time to get into the reasons why.    Let’s just say the Astros have had 5 straight winning seasons, three of which generated 100+ wins, and they are well positioned for the foreseeable future.     I don’t see their model as tank, have a few good seasons, then tank again.    They were trying to get sustainably good.    Only time will tell if they achieved that, but so far, so good.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theocean said:

So, where'd all that money go?

Uh it’s profit. Why do they need to spend all the money they’ve saved? They brought their city the best baseball team in the league, maintain a high payroll, and turn a profit for the owners.

I don’t understand the need to be semantic about “well he said he’d spend every dollar he saved, BUT he lied and didn’t spend EVERY dollar and I can prove it!!”

You guys have this weird fixation on baseball being an altruistic charity of sorts when literally no business in this country is run on that principle. They all budget, they all scrimp, they all cut corners. At the end of the day the Astros still delivered the best product, so what do you care? If the Orioles win the World Series with $150M payroll are you going to write a nasty letter saying you’re boycotting the celebration because “you could’ve spent $200M”?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Uh it’s profit. Why do they need to spend all the money they’ve saved? They brought their city the best baseball team in the league, maintain a high payroll, and turn a profit for the owners.

I don’t understand the need to be semantic about “well he said he’d spend every dollar he saved, BUT he lied and didn’t spend EVERY dollar and I can prove it!!”

You guys have this weird fixation on baseball being an altruistic charity of sorts when literally no business in this country is run on that principle. They all budget, they all scrimp, they all cut corners. At the end of the day the Astros still delivered the best product, so what do you care? If the Orioles win the World Series with $150M payroll are you going to write a nasty letter saying you’re boycotting the celebration because “you could’ve spent $200M”?

I think you're missing the point, especially with the bolded comment. No one is saying they expect a team to spend all of its money every year.

To start, teams play in taxpayer funded stadiums. Minute Maid Park specially was built with $180M in public funds, which was 68% of the total cost. So, no, it's not like a typical corporation. There's an expectation that a baseball team holds up to their side of the bargain. There's an expectation that the team is supposed to provide an economic stimulus in return for that taxpayer money. 

You're starting to see cities resist new stadium deals - or the Olympics for that matter- because they realize its a raw deal for them. 

Second, baseball is an entertainment product. People can choose to spend their money on what entertains them. And, people are starting to realize that paying a lot of money to watch a crappy team while a rich guy gets richer isn't entertainment for them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't see how the Orioles can work the Houston Astros / Chicago Cubs model

Both of those teams are major markets and when they built up their young core they than made their playoff push by making significant FA signings.

Baltimore is a small (and declining) market and the Angelos family does not have deep pockets

It's great that they are building up the system and getting interested in the international market

but the Villar release is just a precursor to how they will fail to achieve the Astros/Cubs success because the Angelos family will never support a top 10 payroll.

Hopefully the get sold and the sooner the better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • I was a little disappointed that Junior Lara, who got a late start in the DSL but did well there, wasn’t invited to Instructs.   I still expect he’ll play in the FCL next year.   
    • How far is Bellinger from free agency?  It would be nice to get him to sign to an extension, but I don't see a reason for him to do so.  If he even partially rebounds, he would want a $100 mill deal. 
    • My wife and I decided to watch this HBO miniseries after it won several Emmys, including Kate Winslet for best actress in a limited series (7 episodes each about an hour).   It’s fantastic.   It’s about a police detective (the title character Mare) in a small, run down Pennsylvania town, where everyone knows everyone and half the people are related.  Mare has a lot of baggage of her own, slowly revealed as she tries to solve a murder that happens in the town.  Winslet is fantastic in the role, and the whole cast is great.  There are plot twists right to the end.  Highly recommend it.   
    • Hey Sportsfan; Thank you for the compliments.  So there are 3 DSL guys in Florida now. 17 year old Samuel Basallo received $1.3 million.  The biggest bonus of the Elias Era.  He was expected to sign with the Yankees.  He was very good batting .239/.338/.410 for a .748 OPS.  5 homers, 8 doubles.  Now in Instructional League.  Led Orioles 1 in homers and RBIs 17 year oldShortstop Maikol Hernandez received $1.2 million.  He hit .231/.340/.308 for a .647 OPS.  No homers, only 4 for 7 in steals. He is in the Instructional League so they still believe in him. 17 year old 3rd baseman Anderson De Los Santos received $350,00. He hit a robust..324/.409/.495 for a .905 OPS.  He also filled in at short, but made to many errors.  A little error prone at 3rd, but he's a converted shortstop.  Only 18 strikeouts in 127 at bats, 15 walks.  6 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, 3 for 4 steals.  Tremendous 1st year, now in the Instructructional League.   17 year old speedy centerfielder Junior Lara received $160,00.  Batted .344/.434/.500 in only 77 at bats.  So he missed half the season with an injury. 17 year old Rightfielder Wilmer Feliciano received $400,000.  He struggled with strikeouts and groudouts.  Hit .202/.312/.353 for a .665 OPS. Hit 4 doubles, 1 triple, 4 homers.  Also 3 for 3 in steals.  119 at bats, 45 strikeouts, 70% groundouts to 30% flyouts.  Terrible ratios for a big-time power hitter.  I would think his swing can be corrected. I was disappointed in Orioles 1.  13 and 39 overall.  With all those bonus babies, still a young team. Orioles 2 was a competitive team with modest bonus players.  25 wins 30 losses. Their most intriguing player was 18 year old Shortstop Frederick Benscome. He was a late Class of 2019 signee.  6 feet 160lbs left handed power from a shortstop. 142 at bats, 6 doubles,4 triples, 2 homers, 11 walks, only 18 strikeouts.  10 steals in 13 attempts. 60% flyouts to 40 % ground outs.  I would have thought he should be in Instructional League teaching others how to make contact and put the ball in the air !!!!    
    • I'm not a big supporter of former major league stars as managers.  The history of baseball is full of players who were great as players and failures as managers.  Let Adam prove himself in the minors somewhere before getting a manager job with the O's.  I hate to look back on past manager searches, where the guy's main qualification seems to be that he played for the O's. 
  • Popular Contributors

×
×
  • Create New...