Jump to content
weams

Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Villar did make it more fun.  But I'm willing to bet that the amount of people that purchased a ticket because they absolutely HAD to see Villar play in person couldn't fill an elevator.  

I think it's more complicated than that.  I don't think anyone consciously says, "I want to go see Villar."  But, they do say, "I want to watch the Orioles" or "I don't want to watch the Orioles."  Having Villar makes me more likely to watch the Orioles, as a team.  Now, we will have Hays and he makes me more likely to watch the team.  We might have Mountcastle after Elias is through playing control games, and that would make me more likely to watch the team.  So, it's pretty clear that I don't like the move since I don't think it helps the rebuild or shortens the timeline in any way.  And, I don't think keeping Villar would have hurt the rebuild or lengthened the timeline in any way.  But, it would have made the team more watchable, in my opinion as a fan.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's more complicated than that.  I don't think anyone consciously says, "I want to go see Villar."  But, they do say, "I want to watch the Orioles" or "I don't want to watch the Orioles."  Having Villar makes me more likely to watch the Orioles, as a team.  Now, we will have Hays and he makes me more likely to watch the team.  We might have Mountcastle after Elias is through playing control games, and that would make me more likely to watch the team.  So, it's pretty clear that I don't like the move since I don't think it helps the rebuild or shortens the timeline in any way.  And, I don't think keeping Villar would have hurt the rebuild or lengthened the timeline in any way.  But, it would have made the team more watchable, in my opinion as a fan.

My wife was a big Richie Martin fan. Not that she knew him to be great but as an avid baseball fan she enjoyed seeing his journey. Would she wave watched without him? Heck yeah. Would she have been a bigger Orioles fan had they won 15 more games? No way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/2/2019 at 8:01 PM, Can_of_corn said:

No way the Marlins pay 10M right?

The Yankee minor league team, the Marlins have traded for Villar, and soon will be reassigned to the parent Yankee ball club.

That is all for now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If Lucas pitches to one batter during the next season we go to the playoffs, he will be of more value to us than Villar.

What if that I be batter gets a game winning hit that knocks from a division title to a wildcard team where we face Heimlich and he no-hits us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, backwardsk said:

What if that I be batter gets a game winning hit that knocks from a division title to a wildcard team where we face Heimlich and he no-hits us?

He "choked"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take a small step back and view this thread re: either Russell or Villar, I think you get a fair representation of what the fan base would think, regardless of whether they're right or wrong.

Most will be mad Villar was dealt for a small return.

A lot would be angry that we brought on Russell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

He "choked"?

He still would have saved a more valuable arm in the bullpen from being used, while Villar would be long gone in any case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's more complicated than that.  I don't think anyone consciously says, "I want to go see Villar."  But, they do say, "I want to watch the Orioles" or "I don't want to watch the Orioles."  Having Villar makes me more likely to watch the Orioles, as a team.  Now, we will have Hays and he makes me more likely to watch the team.  We might have Mountcastle after Elias is through playing control games, and that would make me more likely to watch the team.  So, it's pretty clear that I don't like the move since I don't think it helps the rebuild or shortens the timeline in any way.  And, I don't think keeping Villar would have hurt the rebuild or lengthened the timeline in any way.  But, it would have made the team more watchable, in my opinion as a fan.

Excellent post, and I get it. For me personally, Villar isn't going to change how many games I watch. I'm still going to be multi-tasking in the background until they flirt with .500 again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Orange King said:

 Now, if they give up Bundy (league average innings eater)  for nothing, I think I'd be really ticked off.    

I don't think you will see anything back that really excites you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, atomic said:

Don’t know why I can’t get rid of this quote box...

Lots of clowning on the Marlins in this thread, but I’d feel a lot better about our rebuild if we had some of the guns they have in their system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't think you will see anything back that really excites you.

Gibson got 3/30. Hamels got 1/18(I believe). Bundy is in those guys’ relative league and a lot cheaper in salary. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Gibson got 3/30. Hamels got 1/18(I believe). Bundy is in those guys’ relative league and a lot cheaper in salary. 

I don't believe we will get back the two top 100 prospects that would satisfy the masses here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't believe we will get back the two top 100 prospects that would satisfy the masses here. 

I think we would be happy with a couple of guys from a team's top 20 prospects.  Of course not if it were the Red Sox but an average team's top 20. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Excellent post, and I get it. For me personally, Villar isn't going to change how many games I watch. I'm still going to be multi-tasking in the background until they flirt with .500 again.  

I figured if you added Hays and Mountcastle, kept Villar and moved Mancini to first full time maybe we have a decent line-up. Are pitching would still be bad but we might be more exciting to watch.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






×
×
  • Create New...