weams

Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

On 12/5/2019 at 10:02 AM, NCRaven said:

After taking time to cool off and reflect, it's simply clear that they only thing that mattered in this trade was the number 10, i.e., $10mil.  Villar was going to be gone by the end of the day Monday, and it didn't really matter to Elias whether something came back or not.  A bonus that he was able to get a fringe guy.  

Off the books:  Trumbo:  $13.5mil;  Villar:  projected $10mil; Bundy:  projected $5.7mil

Guess we can afford that Davis contract now.  Odds that Mancini is an Oriole on Thursday of next week?  After all, the only important number that he seems to present to Elias is projected $5.7 mil.

I was of this mindset all along, but to say that Elias didn't try to trade Villar for a better return and/or botched the trade is where I draw the line. I'm fairly confident that he's been shopping him since the start of the 2019 season and it's pretty clear that no one made him a solid offer, or Villar would have been traded mid-season. From what we've seen and heard, Elias has been very flexible in his trade demands. Top prospects...quantity over quality...whatever a team is willing to offer that he feels makes us better in the long run he'll consider. If there had been a better offer on the table he would have taken it.   

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I see the words "utility player" and assume he's not going to play everyday. So the Marlins, one of the first teams in baseball, don't think Villar's an everyday type of player? Very interesting...

*worst" not first. Doh!

Super utility implies - to me - that he'll play a lot, just at several different positions and not all at 2B or all at SS.  He could be very close to everyday, just not at one position.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Super utility implies - to me - that he'll play a lot, just at several different positions and not all at 2B or all at SS.  He could be very close to everyday, just not at one position.

Probably true, I just though it was interesting that they weren't willing to completely commit to him playing everyday. I've said all along that I think Villar is a bit of accumulator so it will be interesting to see if he's still able to produce if he gets something like 50 less ABs. 

30 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I see the words "utility player" and assume he's not going to play everyday. So the Marlins, one of the first teams in baseball, don't think Villar's an everyday type of player? Very interesting...

Super mean he'll play a lot. He played 161 last season I think. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Here’s a Fangraphs article lauding the trade from the Marlins’ standpoint.    https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-marlins-had-a-good-week/

I thought this perspective was interesting:

$$$ Means nothing towards winning short or long term if you don't spend it. Teams have enough to build up their scouting/development programs if they want too and sustain decent player salary pay rolls with todays funds

Maybe Elias wants to go next level on it, but likely wont ever find out.

The Marlins were one the teams that a grievance filed against them for having their player pay roll too low recently. Even though these grievances are nothing more than symbloic protests usually.  Before the Villar trade, their payroll was only 47M. I'd argue this move for the Marlins was part diplomatic taking on 10M.

Edited by Scalious

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Super mean he'll play a lot. He played 161 last season I think. 

Marwin Gonzalez was a super utility player last season and he only had 425 ABs. I'm taking the under on Villar getting 500 ABs in 2020. 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Marwin Gonzalez was a super utility player last season and he only had 425 ABs. I'm taking the under on Villar getting 500 ABs in 2020. 

It’s about health.  Gonzalez was unavailable for 18 games in late August/September first half.  And was unavailable for another nine game stretch earlier in the season.

12 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

It’s about health.  Gonzalez was unavailable for 18 games in late August/September first half.  And was unavailable for another nine game stretch earlier in the season.

Good head's up

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Marwin Gonzalez was a super utility player last season and he only had 425 ABs. I'm taking the under on Villar getting 500 ABs in 2020

I would take that bet. Marwin Gonzalez only had 425 ABs last year because he was hurt and didn't play from August 27 to Sept 16th. He had 500+ plate appearances in the previous three seasons in a super utility role. The Marlins aren't going to spend $10 million on a player to not have him be an everyday player.

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would take that bet. Marwin Gonzalez only had 425 ABs last year because he was hurt and didn't play from August 27 to Sept 16th. He had 500+ plate appearances in the previous three seasons in a super utility role. The Marlins aren't going to spend $10 million on a player to not have him be an everyday player.

It would be... interesting... if the Marlins had (by far) the most expensive player on their roster be someone they don't intend to play every day.  If you take away Wei Yin Chin and his $22M (since they released him), Villar's salary will be something like 1/3rd of the Marlins' total payroll.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It would be... interesting... if the Marlins had (by far) the most expensive player on their roster be someone they don't intend to play every day.  If you take away Wei Yin Chin and his $22M (since they released him), Villar's salary will be something like 1/3rd of the Marlins' total payroll.

I think they want to flip him in season.  They're betting that they'll get more in return than they gave us in the first place.  We'll see.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The pieces out there that are like "even the Marlins are choosing to spend some money, the Orioles should be ashamed!" I'm like... I do not want the Orioles emulating the Marlins under any circumstance. Picking up a 29-year old player who costs $8-10 million for one season makes absolutely no sense for them. 

We got Nelson Cruz for less than Villar is going to make, probably. 

And even if they flip him, they're going to get - what - a guy just like Lucas?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I think they want to flip him in season.  They're betting that they'll get more in return than they gave us in the first place.  We'll see.

It's going to cost them millions to find out.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Which is a fair bet, but they're also betting that the return is worth ~$5 million they spend on him in the interim. I highly doubt they get $5 million in FV out of this because the team taking Villar on will be taking the other $5 million in remaining salary.

It will be a net negative for the Marlins.

• Upvote 1