atomic

If you are going to move Villar to save money you might as well release Davis

I 100% agree with this.  If you go with everything that Elias said about Villar, then the roster spot Davis is taking up could potentially prevent us from evaluating another player.  So we're potentially missing out on evaluating 3-4 players a year off the waiver wire because of Davis.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I 100% agree with this.  If you go with everything that Elias said about Villar, then the roster spot Davis is taking up could potentially prevent us from evaluating another player.  So we're potentially missing out on evaluating 3-4 players a year off the waiver wire because of Davis.  

Is the 40-man roster full?  If not Davis isn't preventing anything until opening day.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

O's came very close to losing out on a ~6 win season from Steve Pearce because of roster constraints, so theoretically the impact of Davis taking up a slot could be significant.

I think this is the best argument that could lead to Elias releasing him.  I don't think we're going to have a roster crunch  anytime soon, but it could cost us not being able to give players "shots".   

It does the opposite of saving money. It costs $563,500. 

Davis was a lot better last year than 2018. He actually had three productive month-long chunks of games, April 13 - May 17 (.273/.341/.506), June 21 - July 21 (.300/.357/.460), August 28 - September 28 (.222/.364/.500 although only 11 games). 

For three months he was actually a productive player, although he played like absolute garbage the rest of the season, March 28 - April 12 (.000/.132/.000), May 18 - June 19 (.093/.183/.130), July 22 - August 27 (.105/.232/.228).

If he was merely mediocre during his cold stretches rather than worse than a pitcher, he would have been at least replacement level.

My guess is that they want to give the new coaching staff one final crack at him before releasing him.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

It does the opposite of saving money. It costs $563,500. 

Davis was a lot better last year than 2018. He actually had three productive month-long chunks of games, April 13 - May 17 (.273/.341/.506), June 21 - July 21 (.300/.357/.460), August 28 - September 28 (.222/.364/.500 although only 11 games). 

For three months he was actually a productive player, although he played like absolute garbage the rest of the season, March 28 - April 12 (.000/.132/.000), May 18 - June 19 (.093/.183/.130), July 22 - August 27 (.105/.232/.228).

If he was merely mediocre during his cold stretches rather than worse than a pitcher, he would have been at least replacement level.

My guess is that they want to give the new coaching staff one final crack at him before releasing him.

We're just terrified that he'd get released, get really motivated, and get fixed by another team to become a usable player.  That's the only reason he's here.  His prison sentence is the O's bench for 2 more years at least. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Orioles Information

Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2021 Minor League Depth Chart

2021 Prospect Power Rankings

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats

• Every level has a handful of "org guys" which are guys that aren't really prospects and are just organizational filler, necessary to fill out minor league rosters. In all likelihood, 80 or 90 percent of the players taken after round 7 or so in this draft will, within three years,  either be out of baseball or will be org guys themselves. Age compared to their level is probably the easiest way to gauge who these guys are. Another way to tell is if a player is moving all over different minor league levels seemingly not based on merit. Willy Yahn is an example of the latter, having split time evenly at four minor league levels this season. Looking at for instance, the Baysox roster, any player that is 25 or older is an org guy unless there is an extenuating circumstance (Patrick Dorian). At Aberdeen that number is probably 24, although 24 year-old guys who started with Aberdeen and are now with Bowie (Rizer, Watson, and Welk) aren't org guys yet, they were slightly old for the level due to the missed 2020 season.
    • Promoted to AAA? https://www.milb.com/norfolk/roster
    • I root for us to win every game.  The losing is really old at this point and it is terrible for morale and the confidence of young players to lose so much.  Winning environments make everyone better.  Look at the Mariners and Giants....two teams with completely mediocre rosters picked to finish near the bottom of their divisions and they are both doing really well.  That has to be a better environment for young players than a clubhouse where you lose 2 out of every 3 games.    I am not sure that draft positioning matters as much for our organization.  Would we even take the 2nd or 3rd best player if we had that pick to make?  Recent history indicates no.  And I am pretty sure the HOF consists of many players who were not the number 1 or 2 overall pick in their respective draft years.  
    • I am trying to learn more about the minors so I can follow the prospect development more accurately, but gosh there’s a whole Lotta guys to deal with. We drafted 20+ guys? We need to make room for all of them in a system that has been contracted by one team. Plus we need to take ages into account, the Rule 5 into account, And roster balance. So my question Are there any particular guidelines to look for when looking at a particular roster and determining prospect or non-prospect? I suppose age for the level would be one, But there’s also being stuck at a level, not producing at all or declining, I think Cody Sedlock might be an example. The organization has to dump at least 20 guys in addition to the MLB departures. Any way to start determining who is going to go and who’s going to stay?
    • Well that’s the thing..in hindsight, the first round was terrible even if it produced Strasburg and one of the greatest players ever.     That partly why I can’t stand the conversation about Hobgood.  They pretty much miss on any player they could have taken there.  You can blame them for Trout and that’s fine but they share that blame with most of the league.  
  • Popular Contributors