Sign in to follow this  
Tony-OH

Middle Infield, Addison Russell and the Redemption Song

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Sad to say, but I think SOME folks don't see violence against women as THAT big a deal.   They can remember times when they were so made at their wife or girlfriend that they WANTED to hurt them, even if they didn't, so they can empathize with that.   And the hear a few stories where a woman makes a false accusation -- which does happen on occasion but is by far the minority of cases -- and assume it actually  happens a lot.   So they have a tendency to have some level of sympathy or even empathy for a man accused of hitting his wife or girlfriend.

But what Heimlich was accused of doing -- no one has any sympathy or empathy for that.  

I think you really hit on some truth here.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Sad to say, but I think SOME folks don't see violence against women as THAT big a deal.   They can remember times when they were so made at their wife or girlfriend that they WANTED to hurt them, even if they didn't, so they can empathize with that.   And the hear a few stories where a woman makes a false accusation -- which does happen on occasion but is by far the minority of cases -- and assume it actually  happens a lot.   So they have a tendency to have some level of sympathy or even empathy for a man accused of hitting his wife or girlfriend.

But what Heimlich was accused of doing -- no one has any sympathy or empathy for that.  

I have sympathy for someone who agreed to a plea deal as a minor with the understanding that the matter would stay sealed whose whole future was destroyed when that turned out to not be the case.

As I've stated in the past I don't see anyone suggesting the Lena Dunham can't have a career.

Or are you suggesting that violence by women isn't THAT big a deal?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Two words: Luke Hemlich.

Both him and Russell did horrible things in the past. Hemlich did his stuff many, many years ago, as a juvenile, and from all reports, has been a model citizen since then. 

He doesn't get drafted and almost couldn't even play in Mexico, due to fan backlash.

Why should Russell get a pass for a horrible set of instances, the most recent being barely a year ago? I'm all for "maybe people can be given second chances," but just because he could help a broken team in the middle infield, why look at his past and say "oh well?" If anything, give him a minor league contract and tell him he has to earn his spot by outplaying everyone else and be a leader in the community.

Plus he didn’t pay child support when he was supposed for his first child.  And when he is called out on it he posts a photo with his other kids.  Seems pretty much a dirt bag. 

i have zero sympathy for people who don’t pay child support when they have the money. 

• Upvote 1

There are guys I don’t want to play with because they are bad people. There are guys who are bad people who I don’t mind playing with.

We can all think of politicians or celebrities whom we forgive or don’t forgive based upon whether we like them or not. As soon as I mention a single name, everybody’s going to line up on either side of that name and agree or curse, so you just fill in the names yourself.

Legally, Russell has done everything required of him. That’s it. Done. You can like him or not as you choose, but he has no obligation to you or to society. He has fulfilled his obligation. Now he does indeed have a continued, or rather, a renewed obligation to his wife and his family to be a better person than he has been, and that is between him and his wife; or his ex-wife, I am out of the loop to the extent that I don’t know whether they stayed together or not. But the point is valid regardless.

If we sign him there will people who say he deserves no redemption, and there will be people who say he does. There’s no reason to argue, because no one is going to change anyone else’s mind. But the fact that he has fulfilled his obligation is undeniable, and he is able to play anywhere he wishes without penalty.

There will be people who complain about the celebrity aspect of baseball and I cry BS to that. Personally I wouldn’t want to play with Ryan Braun or Delmon Young, Because they are jerks. But I would if my team acquired them.

And if the Orioles decide to acquire Russell, well that’s fine, Any PR maelstrom that results is unwarranted.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have sympathy for someone who agreed to a plea deal as a minor with the understanding that the matter would stay sealed whose whole future was destroyed when that turned out to not be the case.

As I've stated in the past I don't see anyone suggesting the Lena Dunham can't have a career.

Or are you suggesting that violence by women isn't THAT big a deal?

I don't even know what Lena Dunham has been accused of doing, I have never paid any attention to her or read any articles about her.  All I know is she had a popular show on HBO that I never watched.   I'm not sure I would recognize her if I saw her.   So for you to say I am somehow suggesting that violence by women isn't that big a deal by bringing up someone I basically know nothing about and never mentioned, is utterly absurd and some sort of bizarre stretch of argument that makes no sense whatsoever.   I didn't mention Josef Mengele in my post either, so maybe by not mentioning him I am "suggesting" that vicious cruelty in the guise of medical experimentation is not that big a deal either?   I didn't mention Julius Rosenberg, so maybe I am somehow implying that stealing atomic secrets and giving them to the Russians isn't a big deal?   Talk about an utter non sequitor and taking what I say and making some completely unrelated point, geez.

My point is that SOME people, hopefully not many, but some, are likely to have a modicum of sympathy for someone accused of domestic violence against women, while a much, much, much smaller % of people are going to have similar sympathy for someone accused of sexual assault of a 6 or 8 year old.   I believe that is true, and I believe it affects the reaction that would occur if a team signed one guy versus the other.   That is the only point I was trying to make, and I still believe it and stand by what I wrote.  I think a team signing Russell would face some public backlash, but a team signing Heimlich would face much more.   I was replying to a post that made an equivalence of the two, and my point was that in the court of public opinion, right or wrong, they were not comparable.   One would likely be viewed as worse than the other.   That is the only point I was trying to make, and I stand by that opinion.

Yes, I am aware that his agreement was supposed to be sealed and that came out, and that has destroyed his future.   Someone should be punished for breaking that rule.  But I don't think it affects the public perception of the situation at all.   It probably should but public opinion is often based on emotion moreso than logic

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

I don't even know what Lena Dunham has been accused of doing, I have never paid any attention to her or read any articles about her.  All I know is she had a popular show on HBO that I never watched.   I'm not sure I would recognize her if I saw her.   So for you to say I am somehow suggesting that violence by women isn't that big a deal by bringing up someone I basically know nothing about and never mentioned, is utterly absurd and some sort of bizarre stretch of argument that makes no sense whatsoever.   

He is just trolling. 

1 hour ago, Satyr3206 said:

A ten foot pole is not long enough to stay away from this thread. Thirty, Forty???

The one thing this thread definitely points out is that Russell isn’t worth it. Teams that are contending have good PR going on from the winning. I don’t see many teams trying to trade for Russell at the deadline and jeopardize their good PR. It’s similar to Tebow and Kap, in that a team isn’t going to want to field questions all day about a light hitting SS. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The one thing this thread definitely points out is that Russell isn’t worth it. Teams that are contending have good PR going on from the winning. I don’t see many teams trying to trade for Russell at the deadline and jeopardize their good PR. It’s similar to Tebow and Kap, in that a team isn’t going to want to field questions all day about a light hitting SS. 

Tebow is signed. He's still in the Mets minor league system.

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

I don't even know what Lena Dunham has been accused of doing, I have never paid any attention to her or read any articles about her.

I’m pretty sure it’s the guy with the puppets.

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I’m pretty sure it’s the guy with the puppets.

I sure would not know. Let's drop that issue in this thread. If it appears to be important to anyone take it to the rant section or something.