Jump to content
MurphDogg

Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

Recommended Posts

I'm never crazy about quantity over quality. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that Bundy would net a premium prospect. But maybe one 15-20 in their system instead of four guys? Or two 25-30 guys and no one else.

It's easy to give up 30+ guys in even a good system--obviously they're not all going to make the 26-man roster.

Maybe they want to flip fringe players for international pool money? And therefore stockpiling??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

But they are already relatively old for prospects.  I'd rather have the Dominican 17 year-olds with promise than probably any of these guys.  You don't trade for 5th and 6th inning relievers.

The draft is mostly college players these days, and that is what these guys are. None are too old for their level, the two that have played in the minors played at appropriate levels last year (A+ in 2019 for a 2018 draftee and all the way up to AAA for a 2017 draftee, but as a reliever).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brnovich is a Karinchak starter kit. Practically the same pitcher in college.

Peek is the ceiling arm. 

Bradish is the Baumann type, could be a big stuff guy but with a delivery and command that make some think bullpen. 

It's completely a bet that Holt and crew can develop pitchers. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Good point ...But money and an opening in the rotation plus less competition for it could be the deciding factor

Well we aren’t going to pay them much. A pitcher/agent would have to believe in the Orioles analytics approach if even a modestly better team wants the player.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gtown said:

I'm never crazy about quantity over quality. I'm not fooling myself into thinking that Bundy would net a premium prospect. But maybe one 15-20 in their system instead of four guys? Or two 25-30 guys and no one else.

They did better than that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People here just wildly overrate the players on this team, it's really unexplainable.

Except takes like this.  Bundy's ERA last year was 4.79, Wojo's was 4.99.  ERA+ was 99 for Bundy, 96+ for Wojo.  

So Bundy and Wojo weren't too terribly far apart last year, except one was a known quantity, a familiar face.  The other was a guy picked up out of the parking lot who no one knew anything about.

I'm convinced that most of the grumbling about the Villar/Bundy trades are people that are upset that they're going to watch a losing team AGAIN in 2020, but this time with less familiar faces.  Which somehow makes losing less tolerable.  Kind of like getting diarrhea from Taco Bell vs. some random taco joint you've never been to.  With Taco Bell at least you know how that chalupa tastes.   

We had no idea who Wojo was in March of last year.  We didn't know that Means was even going to be on the team.  We didn't know Alberto or Severino or Ruiz.  They all had their (sometimes brief) moments of fun.  They were as enjoyable as watching Bundy eat 161 innings.  There will be more of them next year.  We could have the new Pete Stanicek, or Ken Gerhart, or Billy Ripken on our hands.  Maybe we'll get a chance to see if somebody becomes the new Rodrigo Lopez.  It'll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MurphDogg said:

The draft is mostly college players these days, and that is what these guys are. None are too old for their level, the two that have played in the minors played at appropriate levels last year (A+ in 2019 for a 2018 draftee and all the way up to AAA for a 2017 draftee, but as a reliever).

I agree. Seems to me starting pitchers in general can develop later than pen arms and position players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Dude you guessed it, I’m consistently amazed

Those 50 hours of draft study pay off I guess. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Brnovich is a Karinchak starter kit. Practically the same pitcher in college.

Peek is the ceiling arm. 

Bradish is the Baumann type, could be a big stuff guy but with a delivery and command that make some think bullpen. 

It's completely a bet that Holt and crew can develop pitchers. 

We've added SO MANY college pitchers in the last few drafts and via trades.   Hard to believe we will have enough minor league roster spots for them.   Especially in 2021 if the minor leagues shrink.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

I thought Bundy had been under team control through the 2022 season? And I'm not saying I think ownership is doing a bad job, just that their sites seem a little further down the road.

Nope, he is at 4+ years of service time entering 2020, he will be a free agent after the 2021 season.

I hated the Villar trade because it showed a lack of respect for paying customers, the return here is at least reasonable, but neither trade should have any impact on whether the Orioles window starts in 2022 or later. If anything, it suggests 2022 is reasonable, since the pitchers acquired were college pitchers who could potentially contribute in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

We had no idea who Wojo was in March of last year.  We didn't know that Means was even going to be on the team.  We didn't know Alberto or Severino or Ruiz.  They all had their (sometimes brief) moments of fun.  They were as enjoyable as watching Bundy eat 161 innings.  There will be more of them next year.  We could have the new Pete Stanicek, or Ken Gerhart, or Billy Ripken on our hands.  Maybe we'll get a chance to see if somebody becomes the new Rodrigo Lopez.  It'll be fine.

But we watched Bundy from the time he was a kid and a high draft pick.  That has to have SOME value. 

Right?  I mean, it's got to translate into his WHIP, FIP, whatever other advanced metric at some point.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One takeaway I have from these trades is that Elias thinks our next window is pretty far away.    The guys we are acquiring are mostly very far away from the majors.    

I'm really surprised that they are all pitchers also! The strong position of our prospects is pitching. I guess you can never have too much. This is in line with the quote about other teams offering Rule 5 eligible guys and and players that need to be on the 40man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...