MurphDogg

Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

1 minute ago, interloper said:

But would you for Baumann, Hall, and Ortiz (the good one)? Same scenario. 

In a heartbeat. No one would come close to that.  The Encarnacion, McKenna, Stowers was a good one.  That made me think.  I think Elias would certainly do that one.

The Castellanos/Ozuna rumors seem to be CWS/TEX in the AL, and MIA/CHC/ARZ/SF in the NL - obviously DH a factor for using guys like this.

CWS have so much $$$ after Machado/Wheeler spurns, unless they can dump it all on Cole/Strasburg they'll probably just buy a guy.

TEX is trying to get more right-handed.  Up-and-comer Ronald Guzman mostly stunk and lost 1B job to Danny Santana.  Guzman 2.5 years younger and 2 more years of control, but can he hit?

MIA - I can't fathom why, but would be happy to trade more with them.

CHC - Theo's reckoning backed by reports Cubs are obviously trying to make trades.  Would Ian Happ be too good to be true?  I'd certainly be interested in experimenting with him back at 2B.

ARZ - had success with ex-Oriole Christian Walker at 1B, but Seth Beer coming.  RF also possible - they are a deep farm.

SF - likewise can't fathom why - Yaz is who Roster Resource sees as their RF today.

44 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

To go on he’s under control for 3 more seasons. And is still just 27 years old so statistically stil should be trending up.

A typical major league player peaks at 27.  The curve is pretty flat from 26 to 29 or 30.  But you can't expect a guy who turns 28 before next season starts to continue on a upward trajectory for a number of years.  All players are different, but he's probably as good as he'll ever be.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

In a heartbeat. No one would come close to that.  The Encarnacion, McKenna, Stowers was a good one.  That made me think.  I think Elias would certainly do that one.

I don't know if I would, mostly because I don't think McKenna belongs in the top 15. And I was thinking deeper/younger than Encarnacion, who is listed as #30 on MLB. 

Also none of those players are pitchers and I would want at least one top 15 pitcher.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't know if I would, mostly because I don't think McKenna belongs in the top 15. And I was thinking deeper/younger than Encarnacion, who is listed as #30 on MLB. 

Also none of those players are pitchers and I would want at least one top 15 pitcher.

Just talking talent, I think this is in the ballpark of what we could expect.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

As much as I didn't like him, I'd be down for a Gausman return, especially if looked at for a bullpen role.  No denying the talent, I just thought he never really could harness it.  But there are some things to like there, for sure.

I will always be grateful for his saving the Wei Chen mess in the ALDS. He made the double possible. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wouldn't it be a lot more concerning if he continued tearing it down to the studs and aggressively rebuilding... except for the times where he kept Jonathan Villar and Dylan Bundy and paid them $15M total that could have gone to the future, just because 63 wins is better than 57?

Don't really disagree.  After giving it a lot of thought, I think the process with Villar bothered me more than that he was traded.  Although, I'm still underwhelmed by the return.  Bundy's was a decent return - although I would rather have fewer, but higher level prospects, and Eppler made it clear that was a possibility.  I'm resigned to losing Mancini by this time next week and don't really care about Givens - even though I expect him to rebound some.

11 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

The Castellanos/Ozuna rumors seem to be CWS/TEX in the AL, and MIA/CHC/ARZ/SF in the NL - obviously DH a factor for using guys like this.

CWS have so much $$$ after Machado/Wheeler spurns, unless they can dump it all on Cole/Strasburg they'll probably just buy a guy.

TEX is trying to get more right-handed.  Up-and-comer Ronald Guzman mostly stunk and lost 1B job to Danny Santana.  Guzman 2.5 years younger and 2 more years of control, but can he hit?

MIA - I can't fathom why, but would be happy to trade more with them.

CHC - Theo's reckoning backed by reports Cubs are obviously trying to make trades.  Would Ian Happ be too good to be true?  I'd certainly be interested in experimenting with him back at 2B.

ARZ - had success with ex-Oriole Christian Walker at 1B, but Seth Beer coming.  RF also possible - they are a deep farm.

SF - likewise can't fathom why - Yaz is who Roster Resource sees as their RF today.

I read somewhere that Yastrzemski was slated to be the starting CF after the Pillar Non-tender. 

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Don't really disagree.  After giving it a lot of thought, I think the process with Villar bothered me more than that he was traded.  Although, I'm still underwhelmed by the return.  Bundy's was a decent return - although I would rather have fewer, but higher level prospects, and Eppler made it clear that was a possibility.  I'm resigned to losing Mancini by this time next week and don't really care about Givens - even though I expect him to rebound some.

That's what's interesting though. Elias chose these guys. Eppler said "these were the guys they identified". To me, that says Elias cares and it gives me confidence because they hand-picked these players.

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I read somewhere that Yastrzemski was slated to be the starting CF after the Pillar Non-tender. 

I will be fascinated to see what Yaz does in 2020.

39 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

First off, you are valuing him off his best season. He wasn't close to those numbers his first two years.  If that's his new norm there is value there.  No one is going to bet top prospects that that is his new norm. Also, offensive numbers across baseball were inflated last year so you have to take those numbers with a few grains of salt.  His best position is 1B and he's probably average at best there. If the Orioles are able to trade him and take back one prospect it's possible they might get one guy around a top 100 prospect.

Sadly I lost my post due to a work call

You can look at baseball Reference as well as I can. He had WAR of 2.3, .1, and 3.3. A dip in the sophomore year happens as the league adjusts. So 2.3 and 3.3 are reasonably close together despite your claim to the contrary.

Players in their prime typically tend to trend up. So even if they change the ball, have you seen anything from MLB discussing a change? I haven’t 

I don’t think we know what a GM will invest to add him now. Many here thought we’d get nothing from Bundy. We’re you in that group?

i know the level of prospect clearly want top 100. But that appears to be the type of deals that Elias is asking for.

Trade deals typically aren’t for 1 established player for 1 prospect. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

That's what's interesting though. Elias chose these guys. Eppler said "these were the guys they identified". To me, that says Elias cares and it gives me confidence because they hand-picked these players.

Fair point.

57 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's absolutely baseless. I think it's baseless to say he doesn't care about a return. First of all, we can't know that. Second of all, he's clearly said otherwise, just look at his quotes after the Bundy trade. He's going to get the best possible deal for his players, that's his job. He wants talent. He studies these players. If he wanted to flip him for nobody, he would have done that last year. 

Of course he's going to try and get the best he can for his players, but he already has a precedence of dumping Villar for basically nothing, so there is some validity to saying he might take a lesser return to drop salary.

I don't think it attacks Elias' intelligence or the job he'd doing, but rather pointing out the fact that if a player's has zero projected value over his salary, he's not going to get much in return.

Givens is coming off his worse season and is will start to cost north of $3 million next year. Unless Elias thinks he can get more return for him at the trading deadline or in spring training, then it wouldn't not surprise me if ends up similar to the Villar trade.

At first glance, I like the Bundy return so Elias is not giving everyone away.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

I will be fascinated to see what Yaz does in 2020.

Especially if the ball is back closer to historical norms.  And San Francisco has a pretty huge outfield for a fringy CFer to cover.

51 minutes ago, interloper said:

All you have to do is look at Elias' in-depth notes on the players he just acquired for Bundy. The guy knows the players who he is acquiring, ergo, he cares. To suggest otherwise is a complete leap. The guy who says he wants to have an elite pipeline of talent doesn't care who he acquires for his farm system? Ok... 

Again, in a rebuild you trade your players who are approaching free agency. That coincides with them making more money. Money is definitely a factor in these trades, obviously. But these aren't just salary dumps. Elias has scouted a lot of these guys himself. They were on his  draft board. To suggest that he'll take whatever schlub player in return is rubbish. What you're really saying is you're mad that our players aren't worth more, or you're mad because you want to see these players next year. 

I think you are reading too much into his comments. I don't think anyone is arguing that Elias doesn't care about adding as much talent as he can, just that the value of his trade chips may not be that high and that he may just take what he can get if he perceives it as the best value.