MurphDogg

Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

This all assumes that quality was a choice.

I think the notion that GM's get to pick more players over a smaller amount of better ones in trades is the stuff of baseball fan message board fantasy land.  

No according to a voice clip from the Angels side, they said these were the guys Mike was targeting. He went in the direction of Quantity

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

No according to a voice clip from the Angels side, they said these were the guys Mike was targeting. He went in the direction of Quantity

Post the sound bite.

24 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Trea loved Smoak. He hated that we took Matusz. In hindsight, that draft was pretty bad.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2008/drafttracker.jsp

Right, he wanted him for the draft.

That is correct, I was thinking more along the lines that he wasn't a long term obsession.  Of course Trea would want a 1B over a pitcher in the draft.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He thinks player development can create quality from certain raw attributes. So he grabs as many with those attributes as possible.

The interesting thing will be to see if he's correct over the next 3-5 years. I find it all fascinating. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I still follow that guy on twitter. Very active in politics. Still comments on the O's, at least on twitter. Don't know if he still has that message board. I'm guessing he didn't really get any traffic.

He had three posters. And then it was just him. 

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I don’t have it ... it was on the radio. Go find it yourself 

Or maybe you just need a timeout

It's amazing how the quotes / sound bites / clips that support your agenda always seem to magically disappear. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The interesting thing will be to see if he's correct over the next 3-5 years. I find it all fascinating. 

Right. It reflects a gravitas about his scouting/player development chops. 

At some point, this process will have to include bringing in some high quality talent through FA or trade. Even Tampa isn't fully home-grown.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

It's amazing how the quotes / sound bites / clips that support your agenda always seem to magically disappear. 

Enough. We don't need it.  We are all smart enough to make up our own minds on what is going on. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, LookinUp said:

Right. It reflects a gravitas about his scouting/player development chops. 

At some point, this process will have to include bringing in some high quality talent through FA or trade. Even Tampa isn't fully home-grown.

But it is fully targeted. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

He had three posters. And then it was just him. 

I give the guy a certain amount of credit. He has strong opinions. Had passion about this baseball stuff and tried to build his own thing when it became clear this place wasn't for him.

Now he's into politics, so I pity him. (kidding, sort of) I'm glad he has a thing. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I give the guy a certain amount of credit. He has strong opinions. Had passion about this baseball stuff and tried to build his own thing when it became clear this place wasn't for him.

Now he's into politics, so I pity him. (kidding, sort of) I'm glad he has a thing. 

I met him. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

They haven’t disappeared. The interview was  played by 105.7 FM.

so how would I have it? 

And the Sun Articles were posted with links

43 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Smoak's a strange player. Seems like a middling power hitter, but when you look under the hood he flirts with a .350 OBP most years. 

Most years = 2017-2019 (.355, .350 and .342) and precisely zero years the rest of his career from 2010-2016. His OBP in those years from high to low was .334, .323, .314, .307, .299(!), .290(!!!), and .275 (!!!!!!!!!!!!!)