MurphDogg

Bundy traded to Angels for Isaac Mattson, Kyle Bradish, Zach Peek, and Kyle Brnovich

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I think if you want to blame MLB, you need to blame the revenue sharing model, not the fact that they gave one of the richest markets in the country (DC) a team.

Teams like the O's tank and rebuild because their revenues simply don't support paying a large premium for talent. They can do so, but it has to be just right. The Yankees can have bad years, but they can always justify a thread like the one another poster put out there re: winning the world series. They're always "only" 2-3 major free agents away. The only constraints they face in this revenue model is the soft cap that taxes their payroll. 

The teams with Alomar, Palmeiro, Surhoff, etc competed just fine. The money issues are post Nationals

15 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

$9 million?     I’m amazed by that.   To think a few days ago people were talking about us signing him for about one-fifth of that.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

$9 million?     I’m amazed by that.   To think a few days ago people were talking about us signing him for about one-fifth of that.   

What was it you said about the Giants a couple of hours ago?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What was it you said about the Giants a couple of hours ago?

At least this only costs 7 figures, not 9.    And, there is a chance he earns it.   

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Haha. The fact that people here were talking about us signing anyone over the league min should have been your first warning sign that they were way off. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Haha. The fact that people here were talking about us signing anyone over the league min should have been your first warning sign that they were way off. 

We paid Karns about $1 mm last year.   

53 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could be more

27 minutes ago, weams said:

Two O's. Bradish at 7 and Brnovich at 10. And a third (Mattson) in the best of the rest. 

2 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Two O's. Bradish at 7 and Brnovich at 10. And a third (Mattson) in the best of the rest. 

Clase should be 3rd and Reed should be down in the best of the rest.

4 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Clase should be 3rd and Reed should be down in the best of the rest.

I feel really good about the idea that we turned Bundy into 3 names on that list, all with many years of control left, instead of trading a former All Star starter for one guy who is likely to wind up being a pretty good back end of the pen guy and an outfielder who may not make their roster.

You say 3 so you value Clase above any of the Angels 4 but our guys are young enough that I feel good about betting the upside plus volume. And Kluber sure seemed more valuable as a chip than Bundy.

I know you liked Reed but I don't have faith that he'll ever hit. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

I feel really good about the idea that we turned Bundy into 3 names on that list, all with many years of control left, instead of trading a former All Star starter for one guy who is likely to wind up being a pretty good back end of the pen guy and an outfielder who may not make their roster.

You say 3 so you value Clase above any of the Angels 4 but our guys are young enough that I feel good about betting the upside plus volume. And Kluber sure seemed more valuable as a chip than Bundy.

I know you liked Reed but I don't have faith that he'll ever hit. Thanks for your thoughts.

I agree completely, and there’s every chance that this trade will end up being one of the cornerstones of the Orioles immediate future, the Erik Bedard trade.  And the people at lone star ball were ecstatic about the Kluber trade, I only gave up one nice prospect and a mediocre centerfielder, but Texas did take on all of his salary. I initially thought that The Rangers weren’t spending very wisely, but I think I’ve reconsidered. A lot has to go right for them, Including getting a lot of pieces yet, but if it does, they will be contenders.

8 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

But I do agree with you completely that we got potentially 24 productive years in return for two.