Do you like the Bundy trade?

Do you like the Bundy trade?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Bundy trade?

• Yes - timing is good and not a bad return
    • No - not enough return to move him now
    • No - didn’t want to trade him, period
    • Meh - don’t hate it but had thought we could get more

I like that we didn't wait until February. Just make the dang moves. Hot stove is moving that way this year for whatever reason. 

I predicted a Bundy trade at the winter meetings and Elias didn't even wait until then.

I like the trade.

Yes it's a bunch of marginal/filler guys but at least we were able to get something for Bundy. 

I guess we could have waited until the trade deadline, but I just don't see Bundy pitching well enough to improve his value, probably a better chance to hurt what little value he has.

This is the kind of return we should have gotten for Villar.  I think Bundy's trade value is roughly equivalent.  So I'm happy with Bundy's return.  

The 6th and 8th round picks, if you do the math, were in the top 200 and 300 of draftees this year.  And Bradish was a top 150 prospect in last year's draft.  

Check out this link that attempts to put a monetary value on draft picks https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-on-how-to-value-draft-picks/.  Peek is worth roughly $2.5 million, Brnovich $1.5 million, and Bradish $2.8 million.  Bundy is projected to be a 2 WAR pitcher next year, which would put the value of his contribution around $16 million.  He'll likely make $5.7 million in arbitration, so he's likely to contribute $10 million in surplus value.  The sum of our prospects' value is pretty close to that surplus.  So I think we got roughly equivalent value using these heuristics and the situation we're in.  

Villar, on the other hand, only got us back a single 14th round draft pick in Lucas, which is only worth $1 million.  Villar is projected to be about a 1.8 WAR player next year.  Even though his arb figure is more expensive, it's still kind of a bargain compared to the roughly $14 million or so his play is projected to be worth.  I would like to have seen one or two more prospects who were recent 6-10th round picks in exchange for Villar.  One 14th round pick seems like a very low return for him.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

This is the kind of return we should have gotten for Villar.  I think Bundy's trade value is roughly equivalent.  So I'm happy with Bundy's return.  

The 6th and 8th round picks, if you do the math, were in the top 200 and 300 of draftees this year.  And Bradish was a top 150 prospect in last year's draft.  

Check out this link that attempts to put a monetary value on draft picks https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-on-how-to-value-draft-picks/.  Peek is worth roughly $2.5 million, Brnovich $1.5 million, and Bradish $2.8 million.  Bundy is projected to be a 2 WAR pitcher next year, which would put the value of his contribution around $16 million.  He'll likely make $5.7 million in arbitration, so he's likely to contribute $10 million in surplus value.  The sum of our prospects' value is pretty close to that surplus.  So I think we got roughly equivalent value using these heuristics and the situation we're in.  

Villar, on the other hand, only got us back a single 14th round draft pick in Lucas, which is only worth $1 million.  Villar is projected to be about a 1.8 WAR player next year.  Even though his arb figure is more expensive, it's still kind of a bargain compared to the roughly $14 million or so his play is projected to be worth.  I would like to have seen one or two more prospects who were recent 6-10th round picks in exchange for Villar.  One 14th round pick seems like a very low return for him.

Bundy has two years left of team control is expected to get 5 million in arbitration.  Villar is expected to make 10 million has one year left of team control.  And every team in the league needs productive starters. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Someone  should start a who’s next to be traded poll.

Givens has to be next.  

I think this is a reasonable return.  All four of these prospects have a better pedigree than the one that we got for Villar.  This is the kind of trade a rebuilding team should make.

I chose Meh.. because spreading a return for Bundy over four players is probably stretching the talent pretty thin. Hard to make a pea-sized glob of peanut butter spread across a whole piece of bread. I would have rather had more quality in two players personally, but we'll see how these guys do.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

Bundy has two years left of team control is expected to get 5 million in arbitration.  Villar is expected to make 10 million has one year left of team control.  And every team in the league needs productive starters. 

I mean, the market has spoken.   And it values Bundy more highly.   

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Someone  should start a who’s next to be traded poll.

I think it's time to think about which team you'd like to apply for a job.  

It’s been like 6-7 years since the TJ, then he’s got the shoulder, it’s better to get something for him now, and not be in a Villar non tender situation next year. 

7 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I think this is a reasonable return.  All four of these prospects have a better pedigree than the one that we got for Villar.  This is the kind of trade a rebuilding team should make.

I agree with you .... But it appears that Elias wanted a quantity over quality deal. I'd personally would have liked to seen him get a key guy and perhaps a filler or 2.

12 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I voted the meh option, but I don't really think they could have gotten much more.  You're not going to get a whole lot for Bundy, but you're also not going to win anything in the years Bundy had remaining with the Orioles, and he's not going to push a team towards the playoffs.  They traded a guy who was a decent pitcher in 2020 for guys who might help later and are more-or-less costing nothing.

+1.  Trading him was the right move, I just have no idea on what the quality of the return is.

I voted yes, but it could have just as easily been meh. Nobody in the return excites me, but what did we expect?

I've been a proponent for holding onto Bundy unless someone offered us someone who could be part of the future with the hope that Bundy could drop his home run rate and be worth more at the deadline. The more I think about it, the more I realize that probably wasn't going to happen. Still, no one in that trade is likely to be even a medium-sized part of the next good Orioles team...

Bundy will probably be better than last year if for no other reason than he's no longer pitching in, what, the second most home-run friendly park in the majors? If he does have a good season for the Angels it will probably be because he's in a park that fits his skill set. Best of luck to the guy

I'm just glad that we don't have him as a reminder of the failed drafting/player development of the previous regime.

Two top 5 pitchers (Gausman & Bundy), Gausman released, and Bundy traded for non prospects.