Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
interloper

The Elias era so far

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

So I have this friend that produces some short movies. Several that have starred Michael K. And we are evidently both in that friend's phone. I've gotten some unusual texts over the years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I am more inclined to worse vs. worst.  

Considering I'm typically speed reading and typing during the day at work when I have a chance to check it, be lucky I get anything right. If these are my worst mistakes, then I'm doing ok. :D

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Considering I'm typically speed reading and typing during the day at work when I have a chance to check it, and be lucky I get anything right. If these are my worst mistakes, then I'm doing ok. :D

This post would have been gold if you ended it with “than I’m doing ok”

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Considering I'm typically speed reading and typing during the day at work when I have a chance to check it, and be lucky I get anything right. If these are my worst mistakes, then I'm doing ok. :D

LOL, and I thought i was the only one doing the same thing......lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roch was on 105.7

He said no prospects to start the season

He said to expect seeing more signings like Kairns and Straily. 
 

Hoping to get lucky and then trade them at the deadline for assets

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Roch was on 105.7

He said no prospects to start the season

He said to expect seeing more signings like Kairns and Straily. 
 

Hoping to get lucky and then trade them at the deadline for assets

He’s just opining, not reciting what Elias has told him, but I agree with his opinion, and think it’s the right strategy for 2020.     If you think about it, Akin, Kremer and Zimmermann are all likely to debut sometime in 2020.    Lowther, Baumann and Wells are all likely to debut in 2021.     Maybe Sedlock too.     It’s even possible that Hall makes a big jump next year and is ready by sometime in 2021.      So really we just want guys to eat up some innings until these guys arrive, and no commitments beyond a year.     Leave enough flexibility so that these guys can debut when they’re ready, but not rush them.    If that means we take a lot of lumps in 2020, so be it.    And by the way, I have no illusions that all the guys I mentioned will stay healthy, progress in a linear way and perform well at the major league level in their debut year or afterwards.    But hopefully some will, and we want room for that to happen.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would much rather disagree while understanding The logic, the purpose, the plan, the sequence, etc., than disagree because a move is stupid, illogical, a step backwards, etc.

So although I have some strenuous disagreements with this or that move, I understand where he’s coming from, and I am very much happier with this fellow than with his predecessor, and anybody who succeeds in getting rid of Brady is all right by me.

Edited by Philip
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Roch was on 105.7

He said no prospects to start the season

He said to expect seeing more signings like Kairns and Straily. 
 

Hoping to get lucky and then trade them at the deadline for assets

I’m assuming that means Mountcastle and guys lower, and doesn’t apply to a guy like Akin. 

Back to the OP, one thing we saw in year one was that we didn’t promote too many players in the minors. I think we were getting a baseline of data on them, and we needed to leave them at a level all year to make sure we had good data, and to eliminate variables. 

The full season club’s rotations are stacked and we’ll see lots of piggybacking to start out. Competition is a great thing and we’ll see what cream rises to the top. 

Gone are the years where we can say Norfolk is the “greatest milb team ever” because of AAAA guys there, now we’ll be able to see real dominance with loaded pitching staffs at all levels of the minors. We just don’t have the headliners/aces just yet. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m assuming that means Mountcastle and guys lower, and doesn’t apply to a guy like Akin. 

Back to the OP, one thing we saw in year one was that we didn’t promote too many players in the minors. I think we were getting a baseline of data on them, and we needed to leave them at a level all year to make sure we had good data, and to eliminate variables. 

The full season club’s rotations are stacked and we’ll see lots of piggybacking to start out. Competition is a great thing and we’ll see what cream rises to the top. 

Gone are the years where we can say Norfolk is the “greatest milb team ever” because of AAAA guys there, now we’ll be able to see real dominance with loaded pitching staffs at all levels of the minors. We just don’t have the headliners/aces just yet. 

If there is no benefit to keeping a player in the minors I'd assume they are exempt.

Whatever has changed with the minors it's hard to ignore the positive results. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

He’s just opining, not reciting what Elias has told him, but I agree with his opinion, and think it’s the right strategy for 2020.     If you think about it, Akin, Kremer and Zimmermann are all likely to debut sometime in 2020.    Lowther, Baumann and Wells are all likely to debut in 2021.     Maybe Sedlock too.     It’s even possible that Hall makes a big jump next year and is ready by sometime in 2021.      So really we just want guys to eat up some innings until these guys arrive, and no commitments beyond a year.     Leave enough flexibility so that these guys can debut when they’re ready, but not rush them.    If that means we take a lot of lumps in 2020, so be it.    And by the way, I have no illusions that all the guys I mentioned will stay healthy, progress in a linear way and perform well at the major league level in their debut year or afterwards.    But hopefully some will, and we want room for that to happen.   

I think Sedlock debuts this year for whatever team takes him in the Rule V draft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

I think Sedlock debuts this year for whatever team takes him in the Rule V draft

I will bet he’s not taken.    He’s neither major league ready nor high upside.    But we’ll see next week.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never agreed being slow about promoting/keeping guys down that are already on the 40 man. You are burning option years w/o knowing how much work they need to do to adjust to the majors. You end up putting yourself in a out of options crapshoot a few years down the line with talented, but unfinished players.

We know why they do it, but in a pure trying to build the best team I don't find it optimal in any way. It's a business thing, not building a better team thing. 

backlogging non 40 man players into the rule 5 pool will happen regardless in a re-build. Though slow playing doesn't really help either. (It can disguise players and keep them from being picked if they are still in A ball)

Edited by Scalious
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...