Sign in to follow this  
Luke-OH

Beyond the Top 30: Other prospects to watch

40 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

A big part of the K rate is that he’s such a late count hitter who also made a swing change. He has room to be more aggressive and reduce that if it continues to climb. 

He’s got a hole he needs to fix, but he can hit spin, he can play middle infield, and run a little bit. It’s not exciting but I his chances just about as much as Mason McCoy.

I think the issue is that he was an overdraft, if he was an 11th rounder we’d be interested in the guy who could play some SS and had a 120 wRC+ between A/A+ in his first full season despite his flaws.

I think we'll see at least the two Cubans, IF Yorkislandy Alvarez and Of Kevin Infante. The two guys from the Cashner trade, Romero and Prado. On initial performance I think Placencia the ss and Rolle, the 1B look like good bets.  Tough to say how aggressive they are with guys like Bellony and Acevedo.  Good bets from the pitching side are Hector Lopez, Jesus Chavez, Cesar Angomas, and Carlos Del Rosario.  We signed, what, 27 guys?  We have two DSL teams but I would suspect that will force the release or promotion of quite a few players.

• Upvote 1

I am surprised Mason McCoy didn't make the top 30.  I guess it is because of his age.  I could still seeing him contribute as utility infielder.  

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I am surprised Mason McCoy didn't make the top 30.  I guess it is because of his age.  I could still seeing him contribute as utility infielder.  

He struggles with velocity, it’s not the kind of bat speed you’d normally expect from a MLB player. So it’s utility ceiling.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Luke-OH

Which DSL guys to you see us bringing over for the start of 2020?  Or is do we pretty much have to wait for ST and see who is in camp?

I think the predictions earlier in the thread are as good as any I’ll make.

Prado seems to be the best bet of the young guys as he has a mature game from what I’ve read.

Luis Ortiz will be stateside for extended spring training, which is exciting, although he’ll most likely still pitch in the DSL.

• Upvote 1

Between LRodriguez, Lyons and Hammer, I wasn't sure if the Aberdeen team last year should have been playing baseball,  basketball or football.  And I know I am missing at least one other talk player on that team.  Stowers looked like a shrimp on that team.

36 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Between LRodriguez, Lyons and Hammer, I wasn't sure if the Aberdeen team last year should have been playing baseball,  basketball or football.  And I know I am missing at least one other talk player on that team.  Stowers looked like a shrimp on that team.

Litscher is 6'8" and Stauffer is 6'7". I think you may be confusing Hammer for one of those guys as Hammer is "only" 6'2".

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Litscher is 6'8" and Stauffer is 6'7". I think you may be confusing Hammer for one of those guys as Hammer is "only" 6'2".

But the Hammer has the best name.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I remember the team being very, very tall.  I looked up some pictures and the guy who I thought was Dan Hammer is someone else - big guy, buy not sure who.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:45 AM, Frobby said:

My parents went to a wedding where the groom’s last name was Fangboner.

My mother worked for Martin Marietta for 15 or so years. There were two bosses that l couldn’t have worked for

Harry Ball and Dick Clap

What's up with Lamar Sparks.  He didn't really do anything in the GCL this year.  4 extra base hits at age 20?  Anything there?

14 hours ago, ScGO's said:

What's up with Lamar Sparks.  He didn't really do anything in the GCL this year.  4 extra base hits at age 20?  Anything there?

He had a torn Lat if I remember correctly, came back and just didn’t produce, the old player development team loved the tools, hard to tell if his athletic ability has taken a step back or what.