Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
OrioleDog

Maikel Franco

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, camdencrush said:

if we're talking about ex-Phillies infielders, how much would Cesar Hernandez cost?

Hernandez would be a much better target than Franco IMO. He'd immediately be our best lead off hitter option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without having a lot of knowledge on the player, I like the idea. Give the fans some semblance of a name to route for, and his bat could play up at OPACY. He is the kind of player that could maybe hold the position for a prospect, and have a decent shot of increasing his value prior to the deadline.

Its not a game breaker by any stretch, but worth looking into if the price is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course he's bad. Half the point of this whole thing is taking chances on struggling talents. Love his raw power/feel for contact combo. He's just been terrible at quality on contact. Will always be a free swinger, but there is some swing change gamble here for high offensive returns.

 

Are those odds low? Sure, but upside the game here.  Not mean projections. Would prefer Hernandez, but he's going cost more/higher demand.

Edited by Scalious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I doubt we’ll sign anyone who’s only controllable for 2 years, unless they cost almost nothing.   And I don’t see a ton of upside here.    

The opposite.  I don’t think we’ll sign anyone for more than 1 year.  But I agree that whoever we sign will be cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

The opposite.  I don’t think we’ll sign anyone for more than 1 year.  But I agree that whoever we sign will be cheap.

Two different things. Length of contract vs. controllable years. I don't think anyone expects a multi year contract to any FA.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SS was always going to be first, but here's another random infielder knocking around, plus he co-grieved with Kris Bryant once upon a time that his service time was manipulated.

He got black ink at 60 games played, and too many HR/RBI to be tendered, so might be hoping for more than Galvis money, but doubt there are more than a few 3B openings he could win.   Needless to say Ruiz out-fielded him by a fair bit.

Imagine he's a backup for anyone in Kris Bryant trade rumors, which recently have been Jays (now married to Semien), Mets, Nationals.   He doesn't really cry out Cohen honeymoon, or Pipp Carter Kieboom at first blush.   The Brewers have been the one non-Dodgers team mentioned with Turner, who is good enough to brush one of L. Urias/Arcia aside, something not as much true of Franco.

With Realmuto/Semien done, Turner is now perhaps top FA batter, especially if you partition away Ozuna and Cruz waiting to see how NL DH negotiations turn out.

Just sussing 3B as tonight at SS our Galvis domino fell like six seconds after Semien.   Yolmer's defensive resume says 2B to me if we are using him as more than a utility infielder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

SS was always going to be first, but here's another random infielder knocking around, plus he co-grieved with Kris Bryant once upon a time that his service time was manipulated.

He got black ink at 60 games played, and too many HR/RBI to be tendered, so might be hoping for more than Galvis money, but doubt there are more than a few 3B openings he could win.   Needless to say Ruiz out-fielded him by a fair bit.

Imagine he's a backup for anyone in Kris Bryant trade rumors, which recently have been Jays (now married to Semien), Mets, Nationals.   He doesn't really cry out Cohen honeymoon, or Pipp Carter Kieboom at first blush.   The Brewers have been the one non-Dodgers team mentioned with Turner, who is good enough to brush one of L. Urias/Arcia aside, something not as much true of Franco.

With Realmuto/Semien done, Turner is now perhaps top FA batter, especially if you partition away Ozuna and Cruz waiting to see how NL DH negotiations turn out.

Just sussing 3B as tonight at SS our Galvis domino fell like six seconds after Semien.   Yolmer's defensive resume says 2B to me if we are using him as more than a utility infielder.

You want two major league signings in one offseason? Some of the hot dog vendors are going to have to get axed for that to happen.

It's a good idea for a rebuilding club, but I feel certain that Rio Ruiz's Pre-Arb salary earns him the OD 3B job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

You want two major league signings in one offseason? Some of the hot dog vendors are going to have to get axed for that to happen.

It's a good idea for a rebuilding club, but I feel certain that Rio Ruiz's Pre-Arb salary earns him the OD 3B job.

I'll come buy $8 hot dogs if I can get three major league signings next offseason.

I suppose we're on Half Rations or Quarter Rations, but hey, there's like $2M of the Standard Iglesias Offseason Budget left over and we don't even need LeBlanc and Milone both this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they'd be interested in Franco considering they cut Renato Nunez. 

Franco is an older, worse, and probably more expensive version of Nunez. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I don't think they'd be interested in Franco considering they cut Renato Nunez. 

Franco is an older, worse, and probably more expensive version of Nunez. 

He can still fake 3B for the 2-way player thing though.  Warts and all he did just play a full Age 27 season pacing towards being a 3-win regular over 162.

It's fine to test Bannon out and/or try Ruiz again if the club has any hope of either of them being any good.

Two more guys hoping for NL DH.

Just looking at other down clubs - Pirates have Ke'Bryan, Tigers Paredes, Mariners Seager, Marlins Anderson, Giants Longoria

Maybe Royals want him back for cheap, perhaps same as us with Hanser/Renato.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores
News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2020 Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2020 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats






  • Posts

    • Nice added touch, spirit!
    • I'm lukewarm on Lawlar for the same ageist reason as Witt. Lawlar 7.1.2002 will already be 19 by draft day just as Witt 6.14.2000 was in 2019.  I think 6.30 is the exact seasonal age day, so Lawlar will max out that dividing line forever and ever.   Gunnar 6.29.2001 was two drafts ahead but is just one year older than Lawlar. Maybe I've seen too much Friday Night Lights and the Texas dream of gridiron domination with all the "let's hold the boy back from kindergarten a year" and maybe its something completely innocent, but whatever the root of it was, those quarters and half years of age bear on future projection. There's a whole season for the Age 18's and Age 21's to play, but Lawlar (age and all), and the three SEC aces would be kind of a bummer of a Top 4.   Its probably early to count Hill there until he pitches as many innings as Hunter Harvey.   I'm sure Garrett Stallings had plenty of rising NCAA juniors alongside him this offseason, so who knows who's who these days?   Games soon, games soon...
    • Plus 10-15 innings pitched with an ERA under 6.00.
    • I can understand if a scout doesn't like the guys selected, but Elias' strategy was to get three potential chances instead of one, particularly when there was no "no-brainer" at #2. if there was a Manny Machado-type sitting there I don't think the draft goes down like that, particularly if we were talking about a full draft where the team could have made a few college senior signs at #6-#10 and perhaps would have been able to afford at least one of Baumler or Mayo.  Kjerstad is quite the enigma here for several reasons, but the worse may be that the organization hasn't even seen him play since signing him. I've heard a rumor that I won't spread about Kjerstad that it's more than the heart condition that has kept him sidelined. No idea if it's true or not and it's was probably 3rd or 4th hand information so it's nowhere near something I would repeat.  But either way, he's a guy the organization really can't afford to miss on. Time will tell whether Elias was right or wrong in this draft, so I can't get on Law for his opinion because it's his opinion.  BTW, I liked Asa Lacy the best at #2, but I obviously don't have all the information that Elias has. 
    • Which isn't even the same person that it was when Davis was signed. We can however blame both the ownership and the FO for Davis not being released.
    • From everything I read and heard at the time, it was pretty clear -- not certain, but pretty clear -- that the decision to sign The Crusher to a long-term contract was made by the owner, not the front office.
  • Popular Contributors

  • Popular Now

×
×
  • Create New...