Sign in to follow this  
Hallas

LJ8 saved Harbaugh's Job vs Harbaugh is a better coach than we thought

LJ8 saved Harbaugh's Job vs Harbaugh is and was a great coach  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement is more true?

• Lamar Jackson saved Harbaugh's job
    • Harbaugh has always been a great coach and everyone calling for his head in the offseason was silly.

I find myself thinking about the offseason discussion about Harbaugh's job security.  I kind of wonder how people's perceptions of Harbaugh are affected by the fact that we're 10-2 and cruising toward a #1 seed.  The truth of course is somewhere in the middle, but I'd like to hear from some critics of Harbaugh on the topic.

If they didn’t make the playoffs last year Harbaugh was probably gone. If Flacco didn’t get hurt last year they probably don’t make the playoffs. So I’ll say Lamar saved him. 

29 minutes ago, Brian88 said:

If they didn’t make the playoffs last year Harbaugh was probably gone. If Flacco didn’t get hurt last year they probably don’t make the playoffs. So I’ll say Lamar saved him. 

Agreed.

Harbaugh does deserve credit for the changes they instituted in the off-season to tailor the offense to take full advantage of Jackson's skills, I didn't think they would be able to pull it off.  And lots of credit to Jackson as well for his improvement, particularly with turnovers - if he was still fumbling like last year this team wouldn't be 10-2 either.

New offensive coordinator probably saved his job. Plus he is always going on 4th down from the opponents 40.  I always wondered why teams didn’t do that.  He has embraced analytics.  Good to see Harbaugh has changed.  Seems in the past he played not to lose.  This season he is playing to win.

8 hours ago, Brian88 said:

Do you think he’s the same coach that almost got canned, or has he improved since then?  Also did you think he should have gotten canned?  

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

Do you think he’s the same coach that almost got canned, or has he improved since then?  Also did you think he should have gotten canned?  

I think he has given his offensive coaches more freedom to design the offense their way. Harbaugh is a good coach a deserves a ton of credit for this team, but if the rumors were true that he would be fine last year if they didn’t make the playoffs than Lamar pretty much saved his job. If Flacco didn’t get hurt I doubt that he goes to Lamar in time to save the season, if at all. 

The fact is the team is exceeding almost everyone's expectations. I don't think too many people saw this coming. I know I didn't, especially after last years embarrassing playoff loss, and the 2-2 start this year. If Harbaugh can get another Super Bowl win on his resume with the Ravens he deserves a statue at M&T.