Jump to content
Roll Tide

Definite Interest in Adeiny Hechavarria

Recommended Posts

Quote

The Orioles have “definite interest” in Adeiny Hechavarria, MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko reports.  The veteran hit .241/.299/.443 over 221 combined plate appearances between the Mets and Braves in 2019, with the bulk of that offense (1.039 OPS over 70 PA) coming after Atlanta signed Hechavarria as extra depth during the late-season stretch run.  Of course, Hechavarria is far better known for his glovework than his bat, with +20 Defensive Runs Saved and a + 2.5 UZR/150 over 6761 career innings at shortstop.  The 30-year-old was available on a minor league contract for the Mets last winter, and could likely be signed for a similar non-guaranteed deal this offseason.

Meh signing if it happens and likely no trade value at the deadline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Kubatko lists a few lower-cost veterans that might potentially fit what the team is looking for, though he notes that even moderately-priced options like free agent Brock Holt or the recently non-tendered Yolmer Sanchez could be too pricey for the Orioles.  Jose Iglesias doesn’t appear to be on the Orioles’ radar, as Kubatko writes that “a poor off-the-field reputation…persuaded the Orioles and some other teams to stay away” from the former Reds and Tigers shortstop in the past.  The O’s did make an infield signing earlier today by adding Dilson Herrera on a minors contract.

I think Holt might be interesting to hit lead off or behind Alberto. .271 hitter .340 career OBP. He OBP was closer to .360 the last 2 seasons. He had a good SB/CS ratio before 27/7 before going 7/7 in 2018.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020's version of Alcides Escobar probably.

A few years back, Hechavarria got off to a hot start to the year but it was clearly a mirage. In reference to that mirage, some fantasy baseball site posted an article with the headline "Step Away From Adeiny Hechavarria". I always thought that was funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hechavarria at one time was an extremely good defensive SS.    The last two years, BB-ref has rated him as a touch below average, Fangraphs a touch above average.    I’m going to assume he is still a very solid defender.    On that basis, I wouldn’t mind havIng him for a year if he’s cheap, realizing that he’s a nothing with the bat.   He’d be a stabilizing presence in the infield.   And by the way, Alberto proved to be a very good defensive 2B.    The pitchers would be happy with them up the middle.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rather him than Martin or a minor league free agent. I like having a capable infield behind rookie pitchers like Akin, Kremer, etc.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hechavarria at one time was an extremely good defensive SS.    The last two years, BB-ref has rated him as a touch below average, Fangraphs a touch above average.    I’m going to assume he is still a very solid defender.    On that basis, I wouldn’t mind havIng him for a year if he’s cheap, realizing that he’s a nothing with the bat.   He’d be a stabilizing presence in the infield.   And by the way, Alberto proved to be a very good defensive 2B.    The pitchers would be happy with them up the middle.   

How does he compare to Holt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

How does he compare to Holt?

Who is “he,” Hechavarria or Alberto?    I ask because Holt does not really play SS.     His defense at 2B looks solid statistically, but I think Alberto is better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Who is “he,” Hechavarria or Alberto?    I ask because Holt does not really play SS.     His defense at 2B looks solid statistically, but I think Alberto is better.

Well we need both if Martin in going to AAA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Roll Tide said:

Well we need both if Martin in going to AAA.

Yes, if we get Hechavarria I’d expect him and Alberto to be the keystone combo most days, though we might want to add a left hand hitting infielder who hits righties well.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who is “he,” Hechavarria or Alberto?    I ask because Holt does not really play SS.     His defense at 2B looks solid statistically, but I think Alberto is better.

Holt can play 3B also ...Is Ruiz a lock to make the team. Offense wise he is another low OBP guy. Although Ruiz did get on at a .353 clip in the minors so I guess there is hope

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Holt can play 3B also ...Is Ruiz a lock to make the team. Offense wise he is another low OBP guy. Although Ruiz did get on at a .353 clip in the minors so I guess there is hope

In 14 at-bats.

But he did post much-improved OPSs in his last 3 months with the Os.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Orioles Information


Orioles News and Information

Daily Organizational Boxscores

News

Tony's Takes

Orioles Roster Resource

Orioles Prospect Information

2018 End of Season Top 30 Prospects List

Prospect Scouting Reports

Statistics

2019 Orioles Stats

2019 Orioles Minor League Stats

Baseball Savant Stats







×
×
  • Create New...